Tampa Bay @ Carolina: Nine-Nine!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JCLA

Feb 23, 2017
Anyone who says goaltending is the issue needs to give their head a shake. We have 1 goal from our forwards in this series. That's not going to cut it.

Want to be clear there is a difference between goaltending being the issue and going against the best goalie in the world.

I don’t think goaltending is the issue but I think vasi is giving them the edge. Which is a weird sentence to put together

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I agree with Rod that we aren't getting any bounces. Like, not a single one.

But I do think this team, on nights where it doesn't get any bounces, has a tendency to shrug its shoulders and be like "Welp, it's not our night." One thing to have that attitude as a fan posting on a message board, but when you're actually playing in the game it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I'm afraid that also may be Rod's blind spot as a "players" coach. He's not the level of hardass that a guy like Torts is because he still remembers too much what it's like to be a player in those games. Same reason I don't whip my kids even when they goddamned deserve it.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I think maybe that's a symptom to the problem.
Yeah, the Canes playing them like it's just a regular season game surely isn't a good thing. Tampa is just fine with that and it shows.

The Panthers had way more of a pushback during their home losses to begin their series and that was a big reason why they didn't just roll over the remaining games. Canes have never shown that kinda fight after being down 2-0. Hence the Boston steamrollings.

Reactions: Svechhammer

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Want to be clear there is a difference between goaltending being the issue and going against the best goalie in the world.

I don’t think goaltending is the issue but I think vasi is giving them the edge. Which is a weird sentence to put together
We aren't parking anyone in front of the net. That first goal tonight, Ned was completely screened and never saw it.

Hard to win when you are consistently giving the opposing goalie a clean look. Especially a goalie as good as Vasi.

Reactions: Tryamw and Chrispy

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
Tampa just made that game look so f***ing easy. This half ass effort shit won’t cut it. And Jesus Christ do they practice shooting at practice??? Holy shit I could’ve made those saves when they had good shot chances. Just shoot more and more at vasys logo on his jersey and I’m sure one will squeak through next season. They’re f***ing toast.
I wondered that myself tonight. Their shots were embarrassingly bad. They looked like amateurs on a lot of shots; I'm not exaggerating. The Hurricanes had a lot of sloppy passes too. They didn't deserve to win tonight.

The Jerk Store

Felix Unger Score'em
Jul 2, 2012
Hills to the North
In order to beat Vasilevski we need more bodies in front of the net. Need someone right in front of him for the screen and rebounds. Need someone at or above the hash marks to screen and redirect. We need to take more one-timers. Receiving and settling the puck before shooting just gives Vasi more time to adjust. One-timers with on-edge pucks lead to less predictable aerodynamics. We need more pucks in the feet of whoever is in front of Vasi. Far too many shots we have been taking have been of the plain vanilla type.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
This team took its foot off the gas going down the stretch and then stalled the car.
True. It's like they don't know where the regular season ended and where the playoff games started. Luckily we were much more talented than the Preds and skated by, we just can't do that anymore. And that hasn't seemed to register for the players and coaches alike.

Reactions: MinJaBen

JCLA

Feb 23, 2017
We aren't parking anyone in front of the net. That first goal tonight, Ned was completely screened and never saw it.

Hard to win when you are consistently giving the opposing goalie a clean look. Especially a goalie as good as Vasi.

well I think it’s more getting shots through than parking in front of the net.

difference in tonight is I guess I thought Ned should have worked through that first goal.

like I’ve said I don’t think Ned has been bad but I think there is a clear difference in goal. Vasi is better at rebound control and reading through traffic. He’s the best goalie in the world

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
The radio guys, Tripp and th postgame host, are trying to say this was an evenly played game that we were just unlucky to lose.

Yeah. No.

They gave up 15 shots to the defending Stanley Cup champions. They made Tampa’s PP which was 40% in round 1 look like a goddamn beer league team. Tampa had like 4 scoring chances the entire game. The Canes probably had 4 or 5 as well.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
We need to start getting more bodies in on the forecheck. Know why the PK is so dangerous? Because they go balls to the wall aggressive and hounding the puck.

For most of these two games we've been pulling a man out high to guard against TB's transition game. But at this point, f*** it. You have to play your game and our game is being aggressive and causing the other team's defense to turn the puck over.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
true but it’s a 1-1 game for both of them and Canes could have won both.

staff made a mistake not giving Mrazek one of the Preds games in Nashville and goofing Ned a break. But….of all the remaining teams left we have the worst GT of the bunch. GT wins cups…letting in soft goals at the wrong time ads to playing golf early.

Neither of tonight's goals were remotely soft.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Neither of tonight's goals were remotely soft.

got to save that first one. Re: 2nd: guaranteed one of the leagues top goalies stops that. Fact is our offense is down but GK has not been a difference maker for the Canes.

Regardless…series is over. Trochek and NN both out of the series I just don’t see us winning one. Big mistake not finishing Preds off quickly.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
yes the first one should've been stopped, but then again Necas missed one and Aho missed at least two. Can't miss your chances like this. I knew after we had that flurry late in the first and came away emptyhanded (again) it was a bad sign. You can't let a team like Tampa off the hook like this over and over. Ned is playing more than well enough.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Nedeljkovic did stop a quality Cirelli slot shot before the 1st goal and a Kucherov breakaway after it. NST has the high danger chances at 8-5 Tampa despite the broader shot differential (Link).

That was quintessential road hockey. Get a lead, play conservative and counterattack in open ice when the opponent activates the D. Just have to find a way to do that to Tampa in Tampa.

hockeynjune

Just a soft breeze
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
I really hope our fans aren't fighting one another or other teams fans.

I'm not kidding, that shit is one of the reasons I haven't been to a Panthers game in years. Way too many drunken douchebag know-nothings ruin the fun.
Just got home. Didn't see any of that. Sad night

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad