Tampa Bay @ Carolina: Nine-Nine!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State

As a follow up to the above comment re: fatigue and burnout.

Also, say they find or add these scoring forwards...would they thrive in the team’s system or does the system render them less effective due to the style played and expected by the coaches? Could this be an issue with our current stars? Does the current system have a ceiling?

Last edited:

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

Also, say they find or add these scoring forwards...would they thrive in the team’s system or does the system render them less effective due to the style played and expected by the coaches? Could this be an issue with our current stars? Does the current system have a ceiling?

I don't think it's a system issue. Rather, I question whether they are playing the system the same way they did earlier in the year.

There was never an issue getting Staal, Fast, Trocheck, or others in front of the net to screen or tip shots when things were going well. We've rarely seen that in these 2 games. Get back to the style that won games in the regular season.

Is it a talent issue? This team won on balanced scoring through the season. The good news is that it's harder to shut down balanced scoring, but the difficulty is when you need a goal like last night, the roster solution is to keep running lines out there and hope one of them breaks through. Combine with the change in playing style I put above, and you don't have a promising formula.

Last edited:

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
I don't think it's a system issue. Rather, I question whether they are playing the system the same way they did earlier in the year.

There was never an issue getting Staal, Fast, Trocheck, or others in front of the let to screen or tip shots when things were going well. We've rarely seen that in these 2 games. Get back to the style that won games in the regular season.

Is it a talent issue? This team won on balanced scoring through the season. The good news is that it's harder to shut down balanced scoring, but the difficulty is when you need a goal like last night, the roster solution is to keep running lines out there and hope one of them breaks through. Combine with the change in playing style I put above, and you don't have a promising formula.
Either way 'TIS TIME TO ACT AND QUICKLY. I don't care if we choose poorly. IT'S A PREFERABLE OPTION TO LYING DOWN AND DYING.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Yes. I cannot speak for Mrazek but I watched Reimer go head to head with Tuuka Rask and outplay him in the PLAYOFFS as he singlehandedly stole games 5 and 6 for the leafs back in 2013-2014.

2013 Stanley Cup playoffs - Wikipedia

He deserves another chance. Say what you want about his regular season performance, but the playoffs, as you all know, are a different beast. Give this man another chance and he will shut the door on the Lightning (he has a great history of playing very well against them) and eventually defeat the Bruins (if they advance).

Reimer sure did play well against Boston in the bubble last year…

Oh, wait a minute…

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
*Prophet

pulling for the Canes, so, hope he is right.
giphy.gif

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Hey boys. Just swinging by to give you my best the rest of the way. I know I said it last night but mad respect for your team. The Lightning could learn a thing or two about handling themselves that well when frustrated. They normally do but not that well

Hope Nino and Trocheck are okay
Effects of having cool-headed Captain/Assistant Captain.

SLAVIN THE KIND OF GUY TO CALMLY SHAKE HIS HEAD WHEN HIS GOAL IS WAVED OFF.

stevewin

Oct 21, 2016
The disparity between what RBA and the Canes talking heads saw as a close fought game that could have gone either way and what I witnessed live is shocking to me. It's like Dundon and the PR dept quickly gathered everyone together after the game to go over the talking points.

I've never seen a game where, under no pressure, players so consistently just softly passed or lofted pucks out of their zone directly to the other team. And so many times pucks were sitting there and Canes players just inexplicably stood there looking at it while a TB player swooped in. I'm not sure how it translated on TV, but sitting there I honestly could not believe the lack of fight and effort in a desperation situation in a playoff game.

And i'm sick and tired of RBA and Canes saying over and over that Vasi is the greatest goalie in the universe and what a great team TB is. Even if it's true stop repeating it as a mantra. It's like it's truly in their minds that they are inferior, and they are playing like it. Suck it up and play your game against the guys lined up against you. Some fight would be nice.

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
Rod’s not seeing the same thing we are, saying they played very even and “just didn’t get the bounces.”

If he doesn’t make some strategic changes for game 3 this will be over fast.

I think he meant we didn't get the bounces off the end wall from shos that were well wide or high of the net. Looked like everyone including Aho were pressing too much, not panicking maybe, but pressing. Dougie was not great (again), Bean still concerns me, and now we may be without Tro AND Nino? That's not great. Who rotates in? Geekie?

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Honestly we're playing like a team scared of a goalie...we think he's unbeatable and so it becomes self-fulfilled prophecy. We saw it against Nashville in those last 4 games (mostly) vs Saros and now the same against TBL & Vasi. You can see it in their shots, not shooting with confidence, constantly taking an extra half-second to place a perfect pass or shot and allowing Vasi to reposition or the D to take the shot away. Sure we're not getting the lucky bounces, but we're also missing open nets. Vasi had 2 <.900 games against FLA, so he's beatable, 16GA on 226 shots is stellar but is beatable...we currently have 2G on 70 shots

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
The disparity between what RBA and the Canes talking heads saw as a close fought game that could have gone either way and what I witnessed live is shocking to me. It's like Dundon and the PR dept quickly gathered everyone together after the game to go over the talking points.

I've never seen a game where, under no pressure, players so consistently just softly passed or lofted pucks out of their zone directly to the other team. And so many times pucks were sitting there and Canes players just inexplicably stood there looking at it while a TB player swooped in. I'm not sure how it translated on TV, but sitting there I honestly could not believe the lack of fight and effort in a desperation situation in a playoff game.

And i'm sick and tired of RBA and Canes saying over and over that Vasi is the greatest goalie in the universe and what a great team TB is. Even if it's true stop repeating it as a mantra. It's like it's truly in their minds that they are inferior, and they are playing like it. Suck it up and play your game against the guys lined up against you. Some fight would be nice.

Agreed. If you believe they are that good, you need to fight to compete.

And while they are saying Vasilevsky is great, they aren't doing anything to make his job more difficult. Just try to block his vision a little, get more tips coming through, crash for the rebound more. Yes crashing for the rebound will give up more TB chances, but they need to do something to get better scoring chances.

The fact Rod doesn't see that this is what they need, and what they aren't doing, is what baffles me about the postgame.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Agreed. If you believe they are that good, you need to fight to compete.

And while they are saying Vasilevsky is great, they aren't doing anything to make his job more difficult. Just try to block his vision a little, get more tips coming through, crash for the rebound more. Yes crashing for the rebound will give up more TB chances, but they need to do something to get better scoring chances.

The fact Rod doesn't see that this is what they need, and what they aren't doing, is what baffles me about the postgame.
I beleive he does see it or he isn't a good coach. now what you tell the media is different then what you tell your guys.. At least I hope so.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I think he meant we didn't get the bounces off the end wall from shos that were well wide or high of the net. Looked like everyone including Aho were pressing too much, not panicking maybe, but pressing. Dougie was not great (again), Bean still concerns me, and now we may be without Tro AND Nino? That's not great. Who rotates in? Geekie?

Geekie should come in, and I'd actually consider bringing in Suzuki for Paquette as well. It's not like Paquette is playing well right now.

If you think more physicality is what is needed in the lineup, then McCormick for Paquette instead.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
I don’t understand the unwillingness to alter the starting line up. They played well enough with the Checkers line when Martinook and McGinn and others were out and things have kinda sputtered since their return.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Hey boys. Just swinging by to give you my best the rest of the way. I know I said it last night but mad respect for your team. The Lightning could learn a thing or two about handling themselves that well when frustrated. They normally do but not that well

None of us care.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
I don’t understand the unwillingness to alter the starting line up. They played well enough with the Checkers line when Martinook and McGinn and others were out and things have kinda sputtered since their return.
I might BOOKMARK THIS ONE SO, I CAN FIND THIS ONCE I GET BACK MY LIKE PRIVILEGES.
None of us care.
No need to POUR IT ON SOMEONE WHO IS ACTUALLY RESPECTFUL.

That being said

I recommend using the pregame (actually series talk) for this kind of stuff. GDTs... ARE MEANT TO EMOTIONAL AND AS WELL-MEANT AS YOUR COMMENT MIGHT BE, IT MIGHT WARRANT SOME REACTIONS THAT MIGHT BE... ON THE LESS PLEASANT SIDE OF THINGS.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I think the chance you see Suzuki over McCormick or Shore is quite low. Geekie probably will get back into the lineup for game 3 as he’s a C and a righty.

I do find it a little frustrating how the team/RBA handle prospects. Not all young guys are going to end up 4th line grinders, some are projected to be and have always been scorers. Take what Warsofsky said about Cotton recently, something to the effect that the only way he’s going to get NHL time is in Raleigh is on the 4th line after he learns how. Look at Geekie, dude blows up the AHL, but when he comes back, he still only gets 8mins a game with guys who can’t make a play with the puck on their stick to save their life.

I get that you need defensively responsible players, and it takes time in the minors to hone that side of the game. However, I don’t agree with how they expect all the young guys to become grinders before being trusted to do what they were drafted to do. Put skill guys with other skilled guys, see what happens.

Anyway, that’s just how I’d do it. The Canes front office knows a heck of a lot more than me.

PS - I wish they’d call up the young guys more often instead of plug-ins like Shore or McCormick. That likely would contribute to having more usable depth and gives the team a better idea as to what they really have.

Last edited:

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

See, I don't buy that, because if the plan was to compete for the Cup (and I hope it was/is), then you had to play 2 rounds past this one anyway. So there's no excuse to be burned out after Game 2 of the second round, regardless of how the first round played out.

hockeynjune

Just a soft breeze
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
See, I don't buy that, because if the plan was to compete for the Cup (and I hope it was/is), then you had to play 2 rounds past this one anyway. So there's no excuse to be burned out after Game 2 of the second round, regardless of how the first round played out.

This and I will add that the Panthers beat on Tampa as well.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Woke up this morning, don't really have anything positive to say.

The Canes were content playing that game like a run of the mill mid-season game in December, and Tampa was more than happy to sit back and let us fling low percentage uncontested shot after low percentage uncontested shot at Vasi. I don't care that they only had 15 shots on goal when more than half of them were grade A opportunities. They sat back, allowed us to beat ourselves, and then jumped on every mistake we made. And by the end of the game we had 23 giveaways, so there were plenty of mistakes to choose from.

I'm not going to mince words, I could not be more disappointed in Svech and Turbo right now. They are supposed to be 2 of our absolute best players, and they have regressed into being 2 of our worst. Svech in particular is playing flat out bad hockey and has been doing so going back into the probably the remaining 15-20 games of the season, but its just so bad right now. Its almost like he's forgotten how to play the style of hockey that got him into this league to begin with. He had one turnover last night that was just completely and utterly unacceptable at this level of the sport that would have had other players benched for the remainder of the game. He seems completely disinterested for some reason. As for Turbo, he just doesn't seem there. I wonder if he's actually fully back from his concussion. He just doesn't seem sure of himself at all and is misplaying pucks with a frequency I've never seen out of him.

The most disappointing thing about the team right now is that they have lost the drive to outwork the opponent. Our forecheck is completely absent. We cannot gain possession in the offensive zone and keep it there. Probably 90% of our 5v5 shots last night were one and done. We don't have anyone willing to park himself in front of the net to set a screen so every shot is an open look for Vasi. When we do have the PP, we spend too much time trying to set up the perfect pass and not enough time just trying to get the puck into high danger spots. Its not a mistake that our only goal last night came with 90 seconds left when we finally showed some desperation and started crashing the net. Had we done that for the 88 mins prior, we might have won.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Woke up this morning, don't really have anything positive to say.

The Canes were content playing that game like a run of the mill mid-season game in December, and Tampa was more than happy to sit back and let us fling low percentage uncontested shot after low percentage uncontested shot at Vasi. I don't care that they only had 15 shots on goal when more than half of them were grade A opportunities. They sat back, allowed us to beat ourselves, and then jumped on every mistake we made. And by the end of the game we had 23 giveaways, so there were plenty of mistakes to choose from.

I'm not going to mince words, I could not be more disappointed in Svech and Turbo right now. They are supposed to be 2 of our absolute best players, and they have regressed into being 2 of our worst. Svech in particular is playing flat out bad hockey and has been doing so going back into the probably the remaining 15-20 games of the season, but its just so bad right now. Its almost like he's forgotten how to play the style of hockey that got him into this league to begin with. He had one turnover last night that was just completely and utterly unacceptable at this level of the sport that would have had other players benched for the remainder of the game. He seems completely disinterested for some reason. As for Turbo, he just doesn't seem there. I wonder if he's actually fully back from his concussion. He just doesn't seem sure of himself at all and is misplaying pucks with a frequency I've never seen out of him.

The most disappointing thing about the team right now is that they have lost the drive to outwork the opponent. Our forecheck is completely absent. We cannot gain possession in the offensive zone and keep it there. Probably 90% of our 5v5 shots last night were one and done. We don't have anyone willing to park himself in front of the net to set a screen so every shot is an open look for Vasi. When we do have the PP, we spend too much time trying to set up the perfect pass and not enough time just trying to get the puck into high danger spots. Its not a mistake that our only goal last night came with 90 seconds left when we finally showed some desperation and started crashing the net. Had we done that for the 88 mins prior, we might have won.
agree. we are playing not to lose. We are not playing to win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad