WJC: Sweden announces WJC roster

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckOut

Feb 23, 2009
www.youtube.com
What was wrong with the manor in wich he left Sweden? He was offered a junior contract by Djurgården and didn't like it. Nothing wrong with that, simply the works of a team that didn't believe in him. And if I were to play junior hockey I'd choose Canadian leagues over Swedish any time.

He was offered a contract with the mens team so you are wrong.

BTW, I think it's a little funny how some canadians (and Devils fans) all of a sudden know how much better Urbom is in comparison to players playing in Sweden. Only time will tell if MÃ¥rts was right, but I really can't take all the whining and *****ing seriously since I doubt the knowledge behind a lot of it.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
He was offered a contract with the mens team so you are wrong.

BTW, I think it's a little funny how some canadians (and Devils fans) all of a sudden know how much better Urbom is in comparison to players playing in Sweden. Only time will tell if MÃ¥rts was right, but I really can't take all the whining and *****ing seriously since I doubt the knowledge behind a lot of it.

With Karlsson and Bertilsson out, Urbom has to be on the team.

I don't think I am viewing this situation with a bias towards a Devils prospect either. Urbom is clearly very talented and is one of the top Swedish D prospects out there. If he isn't called up for the WJC now, then there is clearly a shady motive here from MÃ¥rts.

Oslo

Dec 13, 2007
With Karlsson and Bertilsson out, Urbom has to be on the team.

I don't think I am viewing this situation with a bias towards a Devils prospect either. Urbom is clearly very talented and is one of the top Swedish D prospects out there. If he isn't called up for the WJC now, then there is clearly a shady motive here from MÃ¥rts.

Iam sorry but it isn't so clear fore (most of) us swedes...This is probably the best d-men line-up we have ever had even without Hedman and Karlsson, and off course some decent players are going to be left out. Also remember that Urbom plays in a junior-league...and that the players who maid it plays in way stronger (senior) leagues daily.

Berglund1313

May 22, 2008
Sweden
I dont think Urbom will fit this team i rather go with Adam Almquist he has been very good the times he has played in SEL.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Iam sorry but it isn't so clear fore (most of) us swedes...This is probably the best d-men line-up we have ever had even without Hedman and Karlsson, and off course some decent players are going to be left out. Also remember that Urbom plays in a junior-league...and that the players who maid it plays in way stronger (senior) leagues daily.

Urbom played 28 games for Djurgarden last season and almost made the Devils out of camp (when we had a full roster). Just because a player is doing very well in a junior league, it doesn't mean that he should be left off the roster because of the competition level others play against. Especially when said player has plenty of experience against full developed hockey players...

Oh well, Alexander probably spoiled his chance at playing for the WJ team when he shot his mouth off to the Swedish press. Not that I blame the guy, this was his last chance to play for his country at Junior age.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Here's to Dennis Rasmussen missing his flight or catching amnesia for 2 weeks so he doesn't remember to go to the tournament so Landeskog can take his place.;)

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
I like Andersson but now it really makes no sense. They said they want a physical defenseman, and now they are taking Andersson who is not very physical and is also a skinny guy instead of a realy big and strong Urbom. I woul understand if they took Anton Blomqvist, who is a big nasty defenseman, but no. That's basically a declaration that we don't want players from NA.

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
I like Andersson but now it really makes no sense. They said they want a physical defenseman, and now they are taking Andersson who is not very physical and is also a skinny guy instead of a realy big and strong Urbom. I woul understand if they took Anton Blomqvist, who is a big nasty defenseman, but no. That's basically a declaration that we don't want players from NA.
Unfortunately, Urbom probably ruined any chance he had by running his mouth.

belgarath

Jan 27, 2007

I don't have an opinion on the selection cause I have seen neither of the players play, but I think MÃ¥rts argument was that Urbom was a physical defender and that didn't play physical, if he doesn't play that way he might as well take another player that brings other things.

Pentothal

Dec 30, 2008
Unfortunately, Urbom probably ruined any chance he had by running his mouth.

It really has to be that and/or something with his personality that they don't like. Because Urbom really does deserve to be there and his style seems to be exactly what they would be looking for.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
When he wasn't named to the original roster, he mouthed off in the press. Probably ruined any chance he had of getting named as a replacement.

Well he wasn't just not named, his game was denigrated a little bit, and, it seems, in Urbom's mind he was knocked by people who hadn't even really seen him play recently. Both sides seemed content to bash on the other some.

romelson

Dec 19, 2007
Ornskoldsvik
Well he wasn't just not named, his game was denigrated a little bit, and, it seems, in Urbom's mind he was knocked by people who hadn't even really seen him play recently.
Not true. Urbom played for team Sweden(led by Marts) two weeks before the squad was announced. Urbom didnt perform well enough. He had the chance. He didnt take it.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Not true. Urbom played for team Sweden(led by Marts) two weeks before the squad was announced. Urbom didnt perform well enough. He had the chance. He didnt take it.

Ok, so he saw him play a little after Urbom had flown in from a 2 week road trip and they played against teams they out talented. Is such a small sample size a good way to judge a player?

You would think a player who went from no chance at making an NHL roster to a dark horse candidate because of his strong play would warrant a good look from the coaches but Urbom certainly didn't feel he got that when he said that he wasn't even scouted in his games in Canada.

The team in general didn't seem excited to take players playing over in Canada and others than Urbom have expressed that thought as well.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK

Yeah, I call BS on that.

But hey, Sweden's defence looked great last night. They don't need a big, physical guy, who is used to North American hockey at all.... Kilstrom looked great in particular. :sarcasm:

Aarex

Feb 29, 2004
Regina, Saskatchewan
I was at the game last night, was stunned by team swedens size, i think there was only one guy under 6 foot.

Who was wearig number 9? He played hard every shift and had speed to burn. (hopefully not a leaf prospect or i'll cut off my tongue)

OMGaudreau

Jun 19, 2006
Can some of the close followers of Swedish hockey tell me about Tim Erixon. Likes/dislikes of his game? Watched the game last night against Canada and he really doesnt seem like the prototypical Swedish Defenseman, he seems to have a little nastiness to his game - would this be a fair assesment?

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
I was at the game last night, was stunned by team swedens size, i think there was only one guy under 6 foot.

The ten biggest and five smallest players on the squad:

Player |Height |Height (ft) |Weight |Weight (lb)
Nilsson Anders |195 |6'5" |100 |220
Markström Jacob |193 |6'4" |83 |183
Ekholm Mattias |192 |6'3" |91 |201
Rasmussen Dennis |191 |6'3" |91 |201
Klingberg Carl |190 |6'3" |93 |205
Andersson Peter |190 |6'3" |88 |194
Rundblad David |189 |6'2" |90 |198
Larsson Adam |188 |6'2" |95 |209
Erixon Tim |188 |6'2" |93 |205
Pääjärvi-Svensson Magnus |186 |6'1" |90 |198
|
Johansson Marcus |182 |6'0" |84 |185
Rödin Anton |182 |6'0" |80 |176
Krüger Marcus |182 |6'0" |78 |172
Petersson Andre |180 |5'11" |80 |176
Tedenby Mattias |178 |5'10" |80 |176

Urgi

Dec 25, 2008
Can some of the close followers of Swedish hockey tell me about Tim Erixon. Likes/dislikes of his game? Watched the game last night against Canada and he really doesnt seem like the prototypical Swedish Defenseman, he seems to have a little nastiness to his game - would this be a fair assesment?

Tim is the son of former NHLer, Jan Erixon. He played in the top Swedish league this past season, registering 7 points in 45 games. Played at both the World Juniors and Under 18s (named to tournament all-star team) this past season. He should be able to make a smooth transition to the NHL as he’s already played against men in the Swedish league, though it probably won’t be for a couple years. Has offensive upside, plays well defensively, a solid all-around prospect. Good skater.

ctrl+c.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad