WJC: Sweden announces WJC roster

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Too bad for him but this is great news since we get a better suited bottom pairing D.
I don't quite understand, while Urbom is playing an offensive role in the WHL he was drafted as a stay at home physical defensmen, thats the way he played in training camp as well. Who is better suited for the bottom pair?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I don't quite understand, while Urbom is playing an offensive role in the WHL he was drafted as a stay at home physical defensmen, thats the way he played in training camp as well. Who is better suited for the bottom pair?

Not to mention he already has experience defending players of the North American game, when they face Canada and the US he would of been a huge help.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
It will be interesting if Marts will bite the bullet and take Urbom, there is no way he can explain leaving him off the roster now that there is another injury. If he leaves him off he is basically saying, we don't want any CHL players.

tyler_sens

May 26, 2007
Looks like Simon Bertilsson isnt going to the WJ's anymore. Apparently he has a knee injury, anyone have any idea who will replace him?

http://hockeysverige.se/news_show_ingen-bertilsson-i-jvm.html?id=9081316

None Bertilsson in JVM
Knee injury will stop Erik Karlsson's replacement

So close, yet so far away. Brynäsgatan back Simon Bertilsson got the green light on the JVM game yesterday since Erik Karlsson stopped by Ottawa Senators Thurs On Wednesday, it turned out, however, that the knee injury that 18-year-old incurred in Saturday's game against Linköping were so severe that it stops him from going to Canada, writes gd.se.

- He has a knee injury that leaves him unable to ride to Canada. There is no direct serious, but at a World Cup you can not send a player who is not one hundred percent healthy, "says Björn Sandström, Brynäsgatan doctor, told the paper.

Simon Bertilsson was saddened by the news, but trying to look ahead.

- Sorry. Now it's rehab workout for me in four to six weeks. It may in itself go faster, too, but we do not know just yet.

- I may be aiming to take a place next year instead. It is a bit heavy now, but it's just bite the bullet, "says the Karlskoga born slope to gd.se.

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
Lehner is the 3rd Goalie, and had some interesting things to say.

"Officially, I'm the third goalie," said Lehner, a native of Gothenburg, Swe., whom the Hounds picked ninth overall in the 2009 Canadian Hockey League Import Draft.

"And I'll just take it from there."

Given the opportunity, the six-foot-four, 224-pound Ottawa Senators prospect will fight for a more prominent role with Tre Kronor.

"They don't really like it when guys come over here to play and leave Sweden," Lehner said.

And that's why, he believes, fellow CHL players such as Gabriel Landeskog (Kitchener Rangers) and Alexander Urbom (Brandon Wheat Kings) didn't make the powerful Swedish squad.

"I'm not hoping for too much out of it," Lehner said. "I just hope the Swedish team gets as far as it can. And it will be nice to have some more Swedish guys around me. Sweden's not a very big country, so you meet all of the players and get to know them."

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
This is comical. Patrik Andersson, not only does this guy look like the lead singer for Fall Out Boy but his stats are horrible. His +- is the worst on the team by a lot, and his 12 points are far less then Urbom. Politics should not play into decisions dealing with kids.

Trotzig

Oct 24, 2009
I would say Detroit's prospect will get the call, Adam Almqvist. There is noway he takes Urbom.

What made you change your mind so fast?

I'm also having a hard time picturing Urbom taking the last d-spot, mainly because he cried in the media when not making the roster. Really, that kind of mentality have no place in a team where a gold medal is the only accepted outcome.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
What made you change your mind so fast?

I'm also having a hard time picturing Urbom taking the last d-spot, mainly because he cried in the media when not making the roster. Really, that kind of mentality have no place in a team where a gold medal is the only accepted outcome.
He was stupid for doing so, then again these are kids we are dealing with. He couldn't understand how he was left of the roster, then to have his game attacked without being scouted.

Trotzig

Oct 24, 2009
He was stupid for doing so, then again these are kids we are dealing with. He couldn't understand how he was left of the roster, then to have his game attacked without being scouted.

Yes, they are kids and im not taking sides in this, although I wouldn't say MÃ¥rts "attacked" his game per se, he just expected one thing and got something completely different which doesn't necessarily mean it was/is bad.

If proven to be the case, that politics are actually involved in setting the roster it would of course be a real shame.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Yes, they are kids and im not taking sides in this, although I wouldn't say MÃ¥rts "attacked" his game per se, he just expected one thing and got something completely different which doesn't necessarily mean it was/is bad.

If proven to be the case, that politics are actually involved in setting the roster it would of course be a real shame.
If Patrik Andersson makes the team instead of Urbom it is almost 100% assured that there is some sort of politics or something about Urbom that we do not know about. I'm not sure, I haven't seen Urbom play so I am just going by friends who seen him in camp and a few posters who talk about him at the WHL level.

Jim Morrison

Aug 4, 2009

Well, as Urbom said, it's hard to play defensive when you play versus a team that can "barely skate" and you win the shots 70-10 or something. MÃ¥rts haven't seen a game of him playing in Brampton either so when he "attacks" his game without actually having seen it in a high-quality game it's kinda unfair.

Urbom should DEFINITELY make it over Andersson. No question. Just because Urbom have started to produce it's not like he's lost all of his defensive abilities.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Well, as Urbom said, it's hard to play defensive when you play versus a team that can "barely skate" and you win the shots 70-10 or something. MÃ¥rts haven't seen a game of him playing in Brampton either so when he "attacks" his game without actually having seen it in a high-quality game it's kinda unfair.

Urbom should DEFINITELY make it over Andersson. No question. Just because Urbom have started to produce it's not like he's lost all of his defensive abilities.

Please know what you're talking about when you say this. His team Brandon of the WHL not Brampton of the OHL have been struggling for most of the year and have started to turn it around the last few weeks. It's only recently that the went on a hot streak there has been not such domination, anybody can beat anybody. With that in mind for him to be putting up the points he is in such a competitive and defenseive league is impressive, especially from someone who was supposed to be a shut-down defenceman. If his defensive game was always his bread and butter there is no reason to believe he has lost that part of the game it just means he is developing in other parts of his game and becoming a more complete player.

Jim Morrison

Aug 4, 2009
Please know what you're talking about when you say this. His team Brandon of the WHL not Brampton of the OHL have been struggling for most of the year and have started to turn it around the last few weeks. It's only recently that the went on a hot streak there has been not such domination, anybody can beat anybody. With that in mind for him to be putting up the points he is in such a competitive and defenseive league is impressive, especially from someone who was supposed to be a shut-down defenceman. If his defensive game was always his bread and butter there is no reason to believe he has lost that part of the game it just means he is developing in other parts of his game and becoming a more complete player.

I was talking about when they played 3 CIS teams and they dominated them. MÃ¥rts said in a interview that he didn't see what he wanted to see out of Urbom, which was defensive, hard-hitting kinda guy. But when you play 3 games in the attacking zone it's hard to play that kind of game. And MÃ¥rts haven't seen any games of him playing in Brandon (sorry) so it's unfair that he makes his decisions on those low-quality games that they played.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I was talking about when they played 3 CIS teams and they dominated them. MÃ¥rts said in a interview that he didn't see what he wanted to see out of Urbom, which was defensive, hard-hitting kinda guy. But when you play 3 games in the attacking zone it's hard to play that kind of game. And MÃ¥rts haven't seen any games of him playing in Brandon (sorry) so it's unfair that he makes his decisions on those low-quality games that they played.

Srry I was a bit harsh. What you said was true but he didn't help his cause in the manor he left Sweden during the summer and his outburst over not making the team makes his replacement selection all the more unlikely.

Jim Morrison

Aug 4, 2009
Srry I was a bit harsh. What you said was true but he didn't help his cause in the manor he left Sweden during the summer and his outburst over not making the team makes his replacement selection all the more unlikely.

Yeah, that's true. But if both MÃ¥rts and Urbom can put that childish stuff aside and actually focus on hockey, he should definitely get a spot since Bertilsson is injured and can't go.

JetLi

Apr 19, 2004
Sweden
Apparently Erik Karlsson still isnt out. They asked the Sens if he could join the team 28.Dec, and they said they would give an answer 20.Dec. Otherwise there are 4 players IN SWEDEN who are ready but Marts didnt know which one yet.....

Last edited:

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
I would say Detroit's prospect will get the call, Adam Almqvist. There is noway he takes Urbom.

I can't remember the exact words, but I believe MÃ¥rts said Urbom has been playing too offensive-minded to fit on the team. In 15 games in J20 Superelit this year Adam has come close to breaking a record for points by a defensemen, and he has also played in the SEL where he has been producing points as well.

Let's take a look at some possible choices for that 7th spot:

Player |Born |Height |Weight
Adam Almqvist |27 February '91 |5'11" |159
Patrik Andersson |29 March '90 |6'2" |187
Peter Andersson |13 April '91 |6'3" |194
Dennis Bozic |2 August '90 |5'11" |187
Anton Blomqvist |7 March '90 |6'5" |201
Tim Heed |27 January '91 |6'0" |165
Simon Löf |13 March '91 |6'2" |165
Fredrik Styrman |3 April '91 |5'11" |179
Henrik Tömmernäs |28 August '90 |6'0" |176
Alexander Urbom |20 December '90 |6'3" |216

Last edited:

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
Apparently Erik Karlsson still isnt out. They asked the Sens if he could join the team 28.Dec, and they said they would give an answer 20.Dec. Otherwise there are 4 players IN SWEDEN who are ready but Marts didnt know which one yet.....

Peter Andersson
Adam Almquist
Styrman/Tömmernes/Heed/Löf

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

Not sure the validity of that. Doens't the team need to be named prior to the beginning of the tournament?

Murray has said that Karlsson is staying in Ottawa....

timmeh

Nov 8, 2009

What was wrong with the manor in wich he left Sweden? He was offered a junior contract by Djurgården and didn't like it. Nothing wrong with that, simply the works of a team that didn't believe in him. And if I were to play junior hockey I'd choose Canadian leagues over Swedish any time.

If I remember correctly Urbom almost made it to the Devils roster this season. Praised for his defensive and physical play but sent back to junior league because of lacking the offensive skills.

MÃ¥rts saw the guy play coming back from a road trip with a packed schedule(couldn't find any stats or the article but I recall Alexander saying he plays about 30 mins a game). Playing against teams that, for whatever reason, did not manage to create much or any offense at all.

Alexander Urbom has more than proven himself suited for what MÃ¥rts was demanding. And now he's even proved he got that offensive skills needed to play against other juniors.

Even though I think MÃ¥rts is the best coach the Swedish juniors have had I pretty much hate him for blowing Urbom off like that. Not only was it wrong at a professional level but also poorly handled personaly.

I doubt Urbom will get the last spot if Karlsson won't come. Yet I hope for it and the only one I'd see suited for the spot would be Peter Andersson but he's still miles away from Urbom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad