Friedman: Suspects Vegas will be in on Marner

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Vegas isn't trading Barbashev.

Shouldn't be trading Thompson either. If they're moving a goalie it should be Hill. Also less than zero use for Liljegren who wouldn't even crack the lineup.

Still hate the idea of Marner. We need goal scoring on the wing. A Marner trade makes that need even bigger than it already is.

Reactions: Haguerbomb

Ledge And Dairy

Sure, but point is that there should be at least a few teams not spending to the cap that would be willing to buy a 2nd/3rd (or something similar in value) for 387K in actually dollars owed.
There will be a few teams near the floor for sure. But since it's still a nearly 5.5M cap hit a 3rd definitely isn't going to cut it. A 2nd is probably close to value though

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Do you guys want to keep Marchessault?

I would sure rather have Marchie than Marner. Or Guentzel. We need goal scoring on the wing. And players that elevate their game in the playoffs. That's not Marner on either front.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
giphy.gif

A cup win gave McCrimmon a lot of grace with me but man this does not help a contention that he's treating real life like NHL24 Be a GM mode.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I assume Toronto would retain? No way Vegas is absorbing an additional 5 mil after this trade.

Also, isn't Shea and Reilly the same offense-first D-man?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I don't fully understand how that Cap works from a Vegas perspective. That makes for an awfully top-heavy lineup, given what Marner makes and what he's likely to command on an extension. But it does feel like an entire Vegas move. They're plenty keen to chase the "big names" and have shown as much on multiple occasions.

I'd guess this would effectively be at the expense of letting Marchessault and Stephenson walk. Kind of weird to me, in that their superlative depth was an enormous factor in winning their Cup...and it feels like they're running in the opposite direction. But since the salary doesn't seem to exist for them, maybe they know what they're doing. :dunno:

From the Toronto end...i think that getting Theodore could be big for them. They could really use his puck moving and transition ability, as well as some PP acumen. Getting him re-signed might be tough and/or expensive, but he's definitely the sort of big minutes defenceman they need, to help keep the ice tilted in their favour.

I don't really think Thompson is the answer in net though. We've seen how interchangeable goaltenders are with Vegas. I don't think just plugging him in with the Leafs is going to completely "fix" things. Though i guess he's probably good enough to platoon with Woll whenever he's not injured.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't see why Vegas would do this?

Trade a good young top 4 D and a journeyman for an overpaid winger who likely wants $11+mil on his next deal and wilts in tough playoff situations...

Nemec

Apr 5, 2009
....meanwhile Stone is somewhere beating his abdomen with a hammer

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Friedman reported today that Vegas will be involved when it comes to any possibility of Marner being available. He mentions he's heard that it would be Theodore and Thompson for Marner.

Solid deal for Toronto if true.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
I think it's become clear Vegas likes Hill better. He was the day 1 starter this season, and they were quick to go back to him in the playoffs. Thompson only started cause he got hot down the stretch
The cap speaks volumes though, and to make his team contend I doubt they would ignore the fact that Hill costs $4 million more and actively avoid moving him, just because they like Hill more. I'm sure they liked a lot of the guys they had to dump too, but business is business and especially true there in Vegas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad