Friedman: Suspects Vegas will be in on Marner

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I don't for a second believe Vegas would be that stupid, a top pairing D and a 1A/B goalie to split the net with Woll? For that overpaid soft loser? All hail King Brad
Vegas traded Fleury for future considerations. They traded Pacioretty for future considerations. They traded away Smith right after their cup win for a 5th.

I absolutely believe Vegas would do something like this.

Reactions: gab6511 and n8

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Vegas traded Fleury for future considerations. They traded Pacioretty for future considerations. They traded away Smith right after their cup win for a 5th.

I absolutely believe Vegas would do something like this.
Those were all cap clearing moves to fit in better players.

I 100% agree they can and will do some wild shit. I don't believe Marner is the type of player they do it for

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013

I 100% agree they can and will do some wild shit. I don't believe Marner is the type of player they do it for
They probably only try for it if they can't re-sign Marchy. Them and Marchy were suppose to start talking extension a week ago i think, so it is a little concerning that this news is coming out now.

Although it confuses me that they won't re-sign Marchy, but will spend 10+ million on Marner for his next contract? Marner is the better regular season player no doubt, but he is questionable when it comes to the playoffs.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Is he an overpaid soft loser or does he play for an overhyped soft team?
Both things are true
They probably only try for it if they can't re-sign Marchy. Them and Marchy were suppose to start talking extension a week ago i think, so it is a little weird that this news is coming out now.
Marchy must have an insane ask, cause I'd rather have the three of them at a combined what.. $15m as opposed to Marner for $11m

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
The fact that Friedman is willing to throw names out there and mentions Theodore and Thompson specifically makes me think there might be some smoke there.
I think he might just be mentioning those names because these type of players are the Leafs biggest needs. Top pairing defenseman and a goalie.

Although i don't know if Thompson is really the goalie the Leafs need.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
So after looking at the Vegas roster there are several pieces I could see involved in a Marner trade.

Obviously Theodore and Thompson are specifically mentioned but other candidate include.

AP both for cap reasons and because Berube had him in St Louis.

Karlsson because Leafs need a center.

Roy because the Leafs need to improve that bottom 6.

2024 1st because when Treliving came in he said they needed to start putting some groceries back on the shelf and I think he's going to want that 2024 1st because having 2 1sts this year and drafting in the 1st round 3 times over the last 2 years would go a long way to doing that.

Ledge And Dairy

Eichel was viewed that way too. Marner is at the end of the day an incredibly skilled hockey player. Odds are he he will be able to figure it out when he's not under the Toronto spotlight. There is also a world where Vegas gets a 3rd team to retain on Marner

Reactions: Bust

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Eichel was viewed that way too. Marner is at the end of the day an incredibly skilled hockey player. Odds are he he will be able to figure it out when he's not under the Toronto spotlight
Eichel was a 1C, signed to a reasonable contract, and was a playoff unknown.

Marner is a winger, is already overpaid and I can't see him taking a paycut, and is a very known quantity in the playoffs.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

Marner is a winger, is already overpaid and I can't see him taking a paycut, and is a very known quantity in the playoffs.

Ya, I’m just not sure why any contender would say “yes, I’d like to do the leafs and Mitch a favor, I’d like to risk our run on whether he can turn it around”. Like- that’s what he offers, and you’re paying for the regular season point-fest as well. No thanks.

Reactions: JKG33

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Theodore is one of the most overrated D in hockey and if the Knights can get significant value for his braindead ass this summer they should do so.

Still I'd expect Marner to have 50% retained by a 3rd party (CHI, SJS, etc...) for him to return both Theodore and Thompson, but it's obvious that was just BS speculation from Friedman, who does that way too much.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
They should just LTIR Stone for life and keep trading for superstars. At very least it will be good entertainment for casual observer

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Have we considered a third team involved here to retain 50% on Marner for one year? Then Theodore and Thompson going to the Leafs and 50% Marner to Vegas makes financial sense.

Reactions: Dog

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Idk how they make their cap work, but I can see Vegas going for it. They're a smart team and recognize Marner's an elite talent whose value is the lowest it will ever be. They can bring him in and insulate him within their leadership group better than almost any other team. If VGK got him I'd expect Marner to figure it out rather quickly

It also makes a lot of sense for Toronto, instantly grabbing a top pair defenseman who can move the puck

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Have we considered a third team involved here to retain 50% on Marner for one year? Then Theodore and Thompson going to the Leafs and 50% Marner to Vegas makes financial sense.

It should be a given.

A rebuilding team like CHI can retain 50% on Marner after his bonus is paid and only owe him $387,500 in real money, but get something nice in return for taking on 5.45M in cap.

Very doubtful Vegas would be interested without retention.

Reactions: Vukotal Recall

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Gotta love Vegas going full chaos but this is terrible for them. To seem to have completely forgotten that their success was built around depth complemented by a few stars.

Trading Theodore for Marner would basically turn them into the Leafs west; they'd have 39M tied up in just 4 players

Ledge And Dairy

I edit my last post, but I'll repeat it here. I would not be shocked if Vegas found a 3rd team to retain on Marner. You are right that there is a clear difference between Marner and Eichel, position being the biggest one. I am also not going to argue about Marner's lack of playoff success. However if there is a 3rd team involved for retention then that eliminates the "overpaid" aspect. As for his next contract, paycut is a hard word to use here because of the tax difference between Vegas and Toronto. Marner would actually make more money on a 9.5M deal in Vegas than he currently does in Toronto

Reactions: JKG33

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Gotta love Vegas going full chaos but this is terrible for them. To seem to have completely forgotten that their success was built around depth complemented by a few stars.

Trading Theodore for Marner would basically turn them into the Leafs west; they'd have 39M tied up in just 4 players

It really wouldn't.

They have a very big forward group and are probably the team that can most afford to add a small skill player like Marner without it making their team too soft.

It may actually be necessary to add a star offensive player like Marner for them to continue remaining a consistent playoff team going forward, as a lot of their top players are getting older and there isn't much in the pipeline as far as young talent.

Ledge And Dairy

Theodore is one of the most overrated D in hockey and if the Knights can get significant value for his braindead ass this summer they should do so.

Still I'd expect Marner to have 50% retained by a 3rd party (CHI, SJS, etc...) for him to return both Theodore and Thompson, but it's obvious that was just BS speculation from Friedman, who does that way too much.
San Jose doesn't have any retention slots and Chicago is pretty unlikely to use one of their remaining 2 without pretty significant compensation. the retention would probably have to come from one of Utah, Anaheim, or Calgary

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
San Jose doesn't have any retention slots and Chicago is pretty unlikely to use one of their remaining 2 without pretty significant compensation. the retention would probably have to come from one of Utah, Anaheim, or Calgary

Sure, but point is that there should be at least a few teams not spending to the cap that would be willing to buy a 2nd/3rd (or something similar in value) for 387K in actually dollars owed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad