HF Habs: Sun. July 14: Euro Finals - Spain vs England, 3 p.m. | TSN, TSN+, TVA Sports ||| Copa America Finals: Argentina vs Colombia, 8 p.m. | CTV2, RDS, FOX

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Nothing to be ashamed about , both our first halfs in both games against the best team in the world we were pretty good. Argentina took over in both games but it is what it is , proud of the boys
Absolutely. This is the sort of experience you need to have in order to take that next step. You need to learn to crawl before you learn to run.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Not even close.
yeah...Jonathan David is a fine striker for Canada.

But one of the best strikers in the world is pushing it.

He's got no touch at all, gave up the ball constantly yesterday and should have been yanked off earlier. I don't know how many layoffs Larin placed perfectly in his path and David's first touch failed him repeatedly.

There were rumors of my fav club Chelsea signing him this offseason...ughhh...pass.

But again, for Canada, he's a fine striker. Just will be tough when they're up against the best teams.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
The boys should hold their heads high. Nothing to be ashamed about with that performance. We lost to the number 1 ranked team in the world in the semi-finals of the Copa America. If I had told you this would happen before the tournament, we would have pretty much all been floored.

It basically comes down to getting more elite talent on this team. We have some good/great players, we we need an elite striker and some additional talent/depth. Lots of youth on the way.

Hopefully the team comes out like world beaters during the 3rd place game.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The boys should hold their heads high. Nothing to be ashamed about with that performance. We lost to the number 1 ranked team in the world in the semi-finals of the Copa America. If I had told you this would happen before the tournament, we would have pretty much all been floored.

It basically comes down to getting more elite talent on this team. We have some good/great players, we we need an elite striker and some additional talent/depth. Lots of youth on the way.

Hopefully the team comes out like world beaters during the 3rd place game.
Man...agreed so much.

Like I was watching Kone last night and I couldn't believe just how good he is, for his age and that he plays for Canada.

if he was the same player but was born in Brazil and was called "Koninho" he'd be worth 120M and all of the big clubs would be chasing him.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
I wonder what the game would have been like with a canada ref or us ref or british ref or even a jap ref. If you dont get my drift any NON LATINO REF. Their is soo much fake stuff in soccer and the sport does nothing about it so its always up to the ref, so the ref decides 50% of the game not the rules.
I cant wait to see when a player fakes a near death tap to the foot, then a full surgery team rushes to the field to amputate the leg off the faking player in order to get the call his way. reattach his leg on the side lines just 2 minutes later with no scars.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I wonder what the game would have been like with a canada ref or us ref or british ref or even a jap ref. If you dont get my drift any NON LATINO REF. Their is soo much fake stuff in soccer and the sport does nothing about it so its always up to the ref, so the ref decides 50% of the game not the rules.
I cant wait to see when a player fakes a near death tap to the foot, then a full surgery team rushes to the field to amputate the leg off the faking player in order to get the call his way. reattach his leg on the side lines just 2 minutes later with no scars.
You know most of the fans, i'm talking about the casual ones (not sure if you are one or not, and no offense if you are) who tune into watch the odd game every 2-4 years at a major tournament, always complain about this kind of stuff and it makes me laugh.

Have you ever gotten you foot stepped on with cleats while playing soccer? or taking cleats to your shins?

Do you realize how painful that is?

Don't get me wrong, what De Paul did yesterday after getting the balled softly passed into his back was a joke, but most of the time, when when these guys get clipped/stomped/stabbed by cleats, it freaking hurts man.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
You know most of the fans, i'm talking about the casual ones (not sure if you are one or not, and no offense if you are) who tune into watch the odd game every 2-4 years at a major tournament, always complain about this kind of stuff and it makes me laugh.

Have you ever gotten you foot stepped on with cleats while playing soccer? or taking cleats to your shins?

Don't get me wrong, what De Paul did yesterday after getting the balled softly passed into his back was a joke, but most of the time, when when these guys get clipped/stomped/stabbed by cleats, it freaking hurts man.

I think it was dramatic but that isn't the piece that I cared about.

The part that annoyed me is that any slight contact was a foul against Canada, while anything that would result in a dangerous free kick for Canada was allowed to move forward for Argentinian possession - one of which resulted in the first goal off of a clear foul that would have given Canada possession.

Some of the flagrant fouls around the Argentinian goal were just not called and allowed to move forward for Argentina. It was blatantly bad.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

The part that annoyed me is that any slight contact was a foul against Canada, while anything that would result in a dangerous free kick for Canada was allowed to move forward for Argentinian possession - one of which resulted in the first goal off of a clear foul that would have given Canada possession.

Some of the flagrant fouls around the Argentinian goal were just not called and allowed to move forward for Argentina. It was blatantly bad.
Oh that's a different topic all together. The officiating was a joke, but that's Copa for you...it was completely expected given Argentia was playing Canada.

I'm just referring to all the casual soccer fans who tune in and have to comment about all the embellishing in soccer, and its typically hockey fans if we're being honest.

Sorry but there's embellishment in every sport, hockey is no different.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Oh that's a different topic all together. The officiating was a joke, but that's Copa for you...it was completely expected given Argentia was playing Canada.

I'm just referring to all the casual soccer fans who tune in and have to comment about all the embellishing in soccer, and its typically hockey fans if we're being honest.

Yeah, there's always dives but those spikes into the leg or into the ankle/top of foot is going to hurt. There's just a competitive advantage to draw out that pain when there's a stoppage and you are in the lead and if there was a competitive advantage to staying down after a perceived penalty, the NHLers would do it too.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yeah, there's always dives but those spikes into the leg or into the ankle/top of foot is going to hurt. There's just a competitive advantage to draw out that pain when there's a stoppage and you are in the lead and if there was a competitive advantage to staying down after a perceived penalty, the NHLers would do it too.
exactly...which is something casual fans just don't understand. Especially the "hockey fan"".

They see a guy get kicked in the shins who starts rolling around and they automatically think he's milking it.

Like we've never seen NHL players milk it.

Every major tournament, "hockey guy" always has to chime in about how shameful a sport soccer is and that that's why they don't watch it.

So then don't watch lol

Sorry, pet peeve of mine.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

The whole tournament was like that. It's a south American tournament at its core, and there is a slant towards those teams. The Venezuela match was pretty ridiculous too.... heck, they even let a headbutt go on a Canadian player despite var early on in the group stage.

Regardless, it will be interesting if there are dual nationals out there who can provide immediate help at the 2026 world cup because I don't think we will see much change internally in such a short window, and they still need alot of help depth wise and also at the back end.

That's one of the things that the herdman regime did will was to recruit dual nationals to get this program off the ground. They lost some steam when the CSA showed it's ugly head again and reminded players how small and incompetent our program is..... hopefully this string of world class friendlies and copa result help build the morale back and perhaps shift the perception a bit more favorably for dual nationals.

One guy we missed out on who could have been a significant add was tomori for the CB position, but he committed to England instead, and I don't even think he gets utilized much there.

Now they still have matches against us and Mexico coming in September to continue this unprecedented string of matches against relatively strong competition.

Last edited:

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
IN Hockey you get a 2 minute penilty for faking, so have you every seen a player get a yellow card for faking. so faking is free in soccer so why not fake 100 times a game.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
IN Hockey you get a 2 minute penilty for faking, so have you every seen a player get a yellow card for faking. so faking is free in soccer so why not fake 100 times a game.

They are rare in hockey too, and when they do get called, it's usually coupled with an offsetting minor against the other team.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
First of all...you don't ALWAYS get a 2 minute penalty for faking. Players embellish calls all the time.

And yes, I have seen a soccer player get a yellow card for embellishing.

Last year alone in the EPL there were 12 yellow cards issued for embellishment/diving.

There was a yellow card issued for diving in the 87th minute of the Final of the last World Cup (Marcus Thuram, France)

Do you know how many NHL players were fined for embellishment/diving last year?

Hockey fans just typically tend of view every other sport through the lens of hockey...but that's not how it works.

Last edited:

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Wish me luck boys

IMG-20240709-WA0008.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: ArtPeur and 417

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
It’s part of the fabric of football in South America. You need to cope with it. It’s always going to be the case. And it pre-dates all of us. It happened because many decades ago, while European football was more physical, the SA teams, who played a more free-flowing type of game, would get litterally trampled by them in the matches.

Teams that face SA teams are very cogniziant of this fact. They have brought it to an elite artistic level. They PLAY for that to happen when they face inexperienced players.

Same with hockey players who deliberately try to get an interference call when they have a younger and inexperienced player in front of them.

Reactions: Rapala and 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It’s part of the fabric of football in South America. You need to cope with it. It’s always going to be the case. And it pre-dates all of us. It happened because many decades ago, while European football was more physical, the SA teams, who played a more free-flowing type of game, would get litterally trampled by them in the matches.

Teams that face SA teams are very cogniziant of this fact. They have brought it to an elite artistic level. They PLAY for that to happen when they face inexperienced players.

Same with hockey players who deliberately try to get an interference call when they have a younger and inexperienced player in front of them.
Or a QB/WR milking a defensive pass interference call on a CB or a defensive end milking a holding call on an offensive tackle.

Its the, sometimes unfortunate, part of sports.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
That's exactly why players use time wasting. Imagine, you stay down for 3 minutes and they don't even add it to the extra time. This is why football is so frustrating to watch. Players are encouraged to dive and waste time. If they enforced stricter rules that could easily go away.
Added time has become a f***ing joke.
It's time to stop the clock in real time so fans can actually see it's accurate.
With all the betting going on world wide it should be implemented.
It's the only way to cut down on time wasting and hopefully some of the flopping.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

I've got no faith in the current system.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010

De Paul is a f***ing rate. I mean it wasn't his first time in the game. He was barely touched all game long and started flopping on the ground like a fish out of water. Most Canadian players got fed up and Koné, the least experienced guy, couldn't control his emotions at some point.

.. but yeah, then again, De Paul was also the most fouled player yesterday I believe?

I'm used to those antics, just saying. I can understand how people were annoyed with him at least

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
De Paul is a f***ing rate. I mean it wasn't his first time in the game. He was barely touched all game long and started flopping on the ground like a fish out of water. Most Canadian players got fed up and Koné, the least experienced guy, couldn't control his emotions at some point.

.. but yeah, then again, De Paul was also the most fouled player yesterday I believe?

I'm used to those antics, just saying. I can understand how people were annoyed with him at least
Oh 100% lol but that's how he is

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I've seen two against Vinicius the last year alone.

Reactions: 417

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad