HF Habs: Sun. July 14: Euro Finals - Spain vs England, 3 p.m. | TSN, TSN+, TVA Sports ||| Copa America Finals: Argentina vs Colombia, 8 p.m. | CTV2, RDS, FOX

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

There ya go. Kane being a f***ing bitch and UEFA had their corrupt eyes on it.
I mean this doesn't change anything…an unwritten rule is not a rule, they key point here is the threshold in the box different than in the field of play in that specific instance?

I don't know if that's an actual thing to be honest.

Defintely feel for the Dutch there

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

There ya go. Kane being a f***ing bitch and UEFA had their corrupt eyes on it.
I kinda knew you were going to lose it over the call.
It's a yellow card and because of where it was on the pitch it's a penalty.
It was certainly far less controversial than the non call on Ronald Koeman in 94. :laugh:

The Dutch had plenty of opportunity to go win the game and they came off second best.
England was the better team and were resilient enough to take their chance when they got it.
Ollie Watkins with a World Class goal any Striker would be proud of.

Frankly I was hugely disappointed with the Netherlands effort.
Memphis going out seemed like a huge loss for them they needed his link up play in and around the box in the second half.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I watch soccer through a hockey-fan's prism. The penalty decision was not clear-cut, except that the defender led with his studs, and that is often deemed reckless. That's what swung the VAR decision apparently. Tough to accept for a Dutch fan, though I'm a fan of both national teams (I've lived in Amsterdam and still have friends there, and I'm a Premier League addict). It's annoying to me that a PK is almost automatically a goal, whereas in hockey it's closer to 50-50. There are several areas where I would tweak the game, including moving the PK spot back a few yards, as well as overhauling the offside rule (e.g. the proposed Wenger rule). My tweaks would lead to more goals as part of the flow of the game, and fewer automatic goals from the PK spot. I would also crack down on simulation and theatrics: automatic yellow if caught, and the threat of a red for an egregious simulation in an attempt to secure a PK (possibly reviewed by VAR).

As I mentioned, my perspective is a hybrid of a hockey and soccer fan.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I kinda knew you were going to lose it over the call.
It's a yellow card and because of where it was on the pitch it's a penalty.
It was certainly far less controversial than the non call on Ronald Koeman in 94. :laugh:

The Dutch had plenty of opportunity to go win the game and they came off second best.
England was the better team and were resilient enough to take their chance when they got it.
Ollie Watkins with a World Class goal any Striker would be proud of.

Frankly I was hugely disappointed with the Netherlands effort.
Memphis going out seemed like a huge loss for them they needed his link up play in and around the box in the second half.

Google it man, there's no one credible calling it a legitimate penalty.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I watch soccer through a hockey-fan's prism. The penalty decision was not clear-cut, except that the defender led with his studs, and that is often deemed reckless. That's what swung the VAR decision apparently. Tough to accept for a Dutch fan, though I'm a fan of both national teams (I've lived in Amsterdam and still have friends there, and I'm a Premier League addict). It's annoying to me that a PK is almost automatically a goal, whereas in hockey it's closer to 50-50. There are several areas where I would tweak the game, including moving the PK spot back a few yards, as well as overhauling the offside rule (e.g. the proposed Wenger rule). My tweaks would lead to more goals as part of the flow of the game, and fewer automatic goals from the PK spot. I would also crack down on simulation and theatrics: automatic yellow if caught, and the threat of a red for an egregious simulation in an attempt to secure a PK (possibly reviewed by VAR).

As I mentioned, my perspective is a hybrid of a hockey and soccer fan.

Bring back the 90s NA penalty kicks :snide:

There are some goalkeepers who are godlike when stopping PKs

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

RandR

May 15, 2011
Regarding the penalty shot, I was watching the game on Fox Sports instead of TSN because I prefer Ian Darke (ex-Sky Sports) way of calling the play-by-play. My memory of it is that their primary analyst, Landon Donovan (who I thought was quite good in that role) initially didn't think it was a foul, but then started saying it was after they showed one of the replay angles over and over. He specifically mentioned that the defender's studs were up when he (Dumfries) made contact with Kane. They then had their "rules analyst" comment and he agreed that it was a foul -- I think he also said something about the studs being up even though it might have been on the follow through of Kane's shot. I was cheering for the Dutch so was hoping VAR wouldn't overturn the call on the field, but by the time the VAR penalty decision was announced I was expecting it.

Later on during the game they did comment again that Dumfries was sloppy on his challenge on that play. At least he made up for it later with that goal-line save that prevented a goal.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Well, this Colombia-Uruguay match is wild. Reffing is as bad as Canada's game. I forgot that Uruguay is so competitive with Argentina on the shithousery. If they actual get there, that's going to be some final. Lol

Colombia leading 1-0 after 45, but are down a man after 2 yellows to David Munoz, who even if he had reason to be upset, is an absolute moron. Lol

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Uruguay brings on Luis Suarez. I had no idea he was still playing.

Still 1-0 Colombia, but Uruguay getting chances in the box.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
All the final games are set. Copa plays for 3rd place, so Canada has one game left.

Copa:
3rd place game: Canada vs Uruguay, Sat. July 13, 8 p.m.
Final: Colombia vs Argentina, Sun. July 14, 8 p.m.

Euros:
Spain vs England, Sunday, July 14, 3 p.m.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Man, that Canada vs Uruguay game is probably going to be pretty ugly. People think De Paul is a rat. Uruguay is on a whole other level and are dirty as f***, too.

Maybe half their team will be suspended due to post-game antics. A bunch of sucks & poor losers.

Nunez was actually punching people, too. Malice in the Palace, part 2.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
An absolutely insane match with an insane ending.

Colombia is fast, athletic and talented. They go all out. Argentina will have their hands full.

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
yeah...Jonathan David is a fine striker for Canada.

But one of the best strikers in the world is pushing it.

He's got no touch at all, gave up the ball constantly yesterday and should have been yanked off earlier. I don't know how many layoffs Larin placed perfectly in his path and David's first touch failed him repeatedly.

There were rumors of my fav club Chelsea signing him this offseason...ughhh...pass.

But again, for Canada, he's a fine striker. Just will be tough when they're up against the best teams.
Yeah, he sucks so much that he led his team over Mbappe, Neymar, and Messi.

Since joining Ligue 1, David has 128 goal contributions in 215 apps in club+national play.

They're aren't many players in that same conversation.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Google it man, there's no one credible calling it a legitimate penalty.

LOL
He wasn't calling it originally VAR were the ones who had him look at it.
The penalty was given for the simple reason that the studs were up the challenge was late and he got no piece of the ball.
This is the definition of a foul anywhere on the pitch. It was unfortunate he was in the box. :skeptic:
For me Dumfries is trying to clear not block.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
LOL
He wasn't calling it originally VAR were the ones who had him look at it.
The penalty was given for the simple reason that the studs were up the challenge was late and he got no piece of the ball.
This is the definition of a foul anywhere on the pitch. It was unfortunate he was in the box. :skeptic:
For me Dumfries is trying to clear not block.

No it was given because he's a corrupt official who already was banned for being part of match fixing.

Everyone agrees that it's never a penalty except a few biased individuals and pro English fans.

But that's UEFA for you, a match fixing ref in to do match fixing things and they got the result they wanted. Wasn't even the first time we were screwed by VAR in this tournament alone. God forbid a nation outside of Spain, France, Italy or England win a tournament.

Again look around and see what former officials and players are saying about the call. The "it was a penalty" is an extreme minority opinion because it's a wrong opinion. You start giving penalties in the box for that, you might as well just stop the game altogether and make it penalties from the start. A defender has EVERY right to go for that ball, and contact happening at the extreme end of the follow through when the ball was already out of the field of play never amounts to a penalty. Anywhere on the pitch.

And even if we are to accept the threshold of "if it's a foul anywhere on the pitch, it's a penalty kick in the box" - I don't even necessarily agree that's a foul anywhere on the pitch, how often do you see free kicks given when the ball is out of play, or yards down field, and contact is happening that is initiated by the attacking player? I've never seen it. It feels like the argument is entirely that Dumfries should've put his foot in a weird shape to not expose his studs, but why the f*** would anyone going for a 50/50 ball in a dangerous area put their foot in a shape that would create a negative touch? He's trying to knock the ball DOWN and the attacking player comes into his SPACE that he's already occupying. If anything Kane is the one drawing contact.

Furthermore, if that is your threshold, then you agree that with the final two corners of the game, that the Dutch should have been awarded two penalty kicks? Because grabbing a player, bear hugging them and throwing them to the turf is a foul anywhere on the pitch and Rice did that to Weghorst both times.

Funny that this all happens from a referee who was convicted and banned previously for admitting that he was match fixing and was the VAR involved in the Netherlands-France game where he also disallowed a Simons goal off VAR with Dumfries doing nothing to interfere with the keeper. Blatantly obvious the guy is corrupt, he's already been found corrupt and he f***ed the Netherlands against a Euro super power as UEFA is want to do.

Last edited:

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Nothing to be ashamed about , both our first halfs in both games against the best team in the world we were pretty good. Argentina took over in both games but it is what it is , proud of the boys

Absolutely. This is the sort of experience you need to have in order to take that next step. You need to learn to crawl before you learn to run.
To continue to improve, we need to play most of our games against teams of this caliber. Playing 70-80% of our games against minnows like Barbados, Trinidad, Mexico :sarcasm: and the USA:sarcasm: will not help us improve.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad