HF Habs: Sun. July 14: Euro Finals - Spain vs England, 3 p.m. | TSN, TSN+, TVA Sports ||| Copa America Finals: Argentina vs Colombia, 8 p.m. | CTV2, RDS, FOX

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
what a rocket of a shot. just hammered that ball.

that's a clean, hard tackle at copa, at least against canada, lol. I mean what do you dumphries?

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkovsKnee

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
so you agree with me. so the faker should get the ball and a yellow card offsetting penilty.
They are rare in hockey too, and when they do get called, it's usually coupled with an offsetting minor against the other team.

• Haha
Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'm always reminded why I can only handle this sport every two years. Corrupt ass VAR and officials pushing the same tournament teams forward.
VAR is comical lol they all voted to keep it in the EPL next year too.

Smdh

That was the right call though, studs up.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Nah, shot was off, it was a follow through. Nobody thinks it's a legit penalty.
Was watching to the halftime show and Toussaint Ricketts said the exact same thing.

Studs up…its a penalty. Its a foul anywhere on the field even if it comes on the follow through.

If that's a pass in midfield with no consequence and that exact same thing happens, it's a foul and potentially a yellow.

Harsh, yes, but I right call imo.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
England wins on a really late goal. They beat The Netherlands 2-1.

2nd consecutive Euro Final for England, who lost to Italy in penalty kicks in the last tournament.

Spain vs England for this final.

Reactions: 417

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Lmfao they certainly forced England through. That last 10 minutes was advantage England from the official. Phantom penalty shot was all I needed to know they were never going to allow a different result.

Definitely the right call. Studs up & he didn't get near the ball. Top of Kane's foot.

England scores 2-1

No one agrees with that, all the panelists agreed it wasn't a foul as did the two commentators on the game. Not a penalty kick. Ever.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
No one agrees with that, all the panelists agreed it wasn't a foul as did the two commentators on the game. Not a penalty kick. Ever.
They didn't all agree, one of them is in disagreement.

But even one of the panellists who doesn't think it was a penalty, also thinks its a foul anywhere else on the field.

Should the penalty area be treated differently?

Maybe that's an argument but a foul (which it was) is a foul.

Harsh, but still a foul.

Anyway, that's my take, but I can see the opposite point of view as well. If that's not given, I don't think anyone is arguing it should have been a penalty, so I get it.

Tough for Holland.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
exactly...which is something casual fans just don't understand. Especially the "hockey fan"".

They see a guy get kicked in the shins who starts rolling around and they automatically think he's milking it.

Like we've never seen NHL players milk it.

Every major tournament, "hockey guy" always has to chime in about how shameful a sport soccer is and that that's why they don't watch it.

So then don't watch lol

Sorry, pet peeve of mine.
Lmao they are all milking it , the euro is just as bad , stop kidding yourself , I love the sport but the rolling around on every contact is embarassing. No need to defend it , does taking cleats to the shins hurt , yes but acting like every single tackle kills these guys is hilarious when there's video replay on every single tackle, we can all see it man.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter every team does it so who cares now

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Lmfao they certainly forced England through. That last 10 minutes was advantage England from the official. Phantom penalty shot was all I needed to know they were never going to allow a different result.

It is a penalty kick. It's a foul in the box. A play that would draw a free kick or a yellow card anywhere else on the field is a penalty kick in the box. The player never touched the ball. He didn't even come close to it. He kicked the top of Kane's foot with his studs. No idea what panelists you were watching, but you're not allowed to kick players with your studs, accidentally or otherwise.

The 2nd goal was a defensive error by The Netherlands. Watkins made a good play and an even better shot.

England has a lot of talent and taking Kane off for Watkins was obviously a successful tactic.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Lmao they are all milking it , the euro is just as bad , stop kidding yourself , I love the sport but the rolling around on every contact is embarassing. No need to defend it , does taking cleats to the shins hurt , yes but acting like every single tackle kills these guys is hilarious when there's video replay on every single tackle, we can all see it man.
Again, what De Paul did last night was ridiculous…

But most of the time, cleats to the shins hurts. Has nothing to do with defending it…i’m sure, just like in every sport some players milk it.

But I also think most of the time, it actually hurts and I've been told by guys who played semi-pro and lower league levels in Europe, they've shown me their legs…

Its serious damage and more it happens the more it hurts.

You think those little shinpad protect them? Just cause you can see a replay, in slow motion, doesn't mean you feel the impact of it.

Most people who think it doesn't hurt to get stomped on, also cry bloody murder walking over their kids legos :laugh:

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It is a penalty kick. It's a foul in the box. A play that would draw a free kick or a yellow card anywhere else on the field is a penalty kick in the box. The player never touched the ball. He didn't even come close to it. He kicked the top of Kane's foot with his studs. No idea what panelists you were watching, but you're not allowed to kick players with your studs, accidentally or otherwise.

The 2nd goal was a defensive error by The Netherlands. Watkins made a good play and an even better shot.

England has a lot of talent and taking Kane off for Watkins was obviously a successful tactic.

He was going for the ball, and the kick was already successful, missed the net and it was Kanes follow through. So are you saying that it should be penalty kicks for literally anything that happens in the box after the play is over and the other team isn't in possession? That if a defender has his boot anywhere in the air, an attacker can just put his foot into it and draw a penalty kick?

It wasn't a penalty kick. A 50/50 ball, Kane contacted first, strike was over, the follow through went into Dumfries on contact initiated by the attacker. If that's a penalty kick then the Dutch should still be kicking penalty kicks from the flagrant throws to the ground in the box after a missed header on the corner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad