Transfer: Summer Transfer Thread Part I

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It is obviously all speculation from me of course he could stay at Dortmund (have they recently got the money of City/Real Madrid/United and I am not aware?)

That being said, he is considered the hottest young talent on the planet right now. So unless Dortmund decide to break the bank and offer him a crazy salary increase and a new Bundesliga record similar to Mbappe (including Raiola commission) and possibly without CL to boot for Dortmund (as it stands). Let's say I have some reservation. I don't expect Dortmund would be vocal either about selling him. And I also don't see them forcing him to stay another year and let him go cheaply next summer too.

It's not just about maximizing his transfer fee for them. Especially if Sancho is being sold this summer.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
It's not just about maximizing his transfer fee for them. Especially if Sancho is being sold this summer.

What's it about then? Another chance to win a league that they will not because of subpar coaching?

EDIT: Could you clarify? I think I may have misread it

Last edited:
Reactions: Evilo

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
What's it about then? Another chance to win a league that they will not because of subpar coaching?
I have two ideas. One is to rebuild since without Sancho and Haaland, Dortmund don’t have much. The other is that Sancho is propping up Haaland’s numbers. Don’t know if I agree with it (in fact I don’t think I do) but I could see an argument that without really any more creative players, Haaland’s numbers would go down.

I just came up with one more too. It’s the MLS argument where when a legit offer comes in, you have to sell the player. It shows players coming in that you’ll let them move on to a bigger opportunity.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
I have two ideas. One is to rebuild since without Sancho and Haaland, Dortmund don’t have much. The other is that Sancho is propping up Haaland’s numbers. Don’t know if I agree with it (in fact I don’t think I do) but I could see an argument that without really any more creative players, Haaland’s numbers would go down.

I just came up with one more too. It’s the MLS argument where when a legit offer comes in, you have to sell the player. It shows players coming in that you’ll let them move on to a bigger opportunity.

I just re-read the post and I think I misread it. I thought he meant they would keep him and that Dortmund care more than just maximizing the fee.

Reactions: Gecklund

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

Im certain he meant Barca will beat PSG.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Very possible in fact, as I told you months ago when the draw was made.
Current form is important and those two teams are underachieving.
Barca could totally go through given PSG's current form.
Poch>>> Koeman.... I think that's the difference.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Barcelona aren't going to win La Liga next season. Might as well sell Frenkie and Ansu to a team that will. I'm sure you'll understand that type of argument.

You may not think we'll win the league next season, but when a club hierarchy fails to such a degree and comes under pressure, it's probably not a good idea to do things that'll anger your fans even more. Fans don't care about maximizing a transfer fee. They make plenty of money. They're set to lose a smaller share of money than most every big club around the world.

Fans can accept Sancho will probably go this summer. He was never likely to be a player that could be enticed to stay. We were lucky to keep him last summer. Due to their poor decisions in the managerial department since Tuchel we have failed to win the league when we should've done so at least once. They owe it to their fans to put the best team on the field they can next season with a better manager. When your best player wants to stay and hasn't said he's not willing to extend, you don't sell him abruptly to maximize a fee. If we win the league next season with a better coach and he gets a big extension, maybe Haaland will stay. Reus stayed when he had interest from much bigger teams.

Even if he doesn't stay eventually, there will be huge backlash if Haaland is sold without asking for a move just to get a few extra dollars that might not even be offered this summer. Fans don't only exist and get mad at the five biggest clubs in the world. You saw what happened with Marseille? If your management runs a club ineptly and angers fans, there's going to be backlash. Dortmund hierarchy aren't on the best terms with their fans right now. Selling Haaland to maximize a fee is probably the worst thing they could do this summer to make it worse.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Barcelona aren't going to win La Liga next season. Might as well sell Frenkie and Ansu to a team that will. I'm sure you'll understand that type of argument.

You may not think we'll win the league next season, but when a club hierarchy fails to such a degree and comes under pressure, it's probably not a good idea to do things that'll anger your fans even more. Fans don't care about maximizing a transfer fee. They make plenty of money. They're set to lose a smaller share of money than most every big club around the world.

Fans can accept Sancho will probably go this summer. He was never likely to be a player that could be enticed to stay. We were lucky to keep him last summer. Due to their poor decisions in the managerial department since Tuchel we have failed to win the league when we should've done so at least once. They owe it to their fans to put the best team on the field they can next season with a better manager. When your best player wants to stay and hasn't said he's not willing to extend, you don't sell him abruptly to maximize a fee. If we win the league next season with a better coach and he gets a big extension, maybe Haaland will stay. Reus stayed when he had interest from much bigger teams.

Even if he doesn't stay eventually, there will be huge backlash if Haaland is sold without asking for a move just to get a few extra dollars that might not even be offered this summer. Fans don't only exist and get mad at the five biggest clubs in the world. You saw what happened with Marseille? If your management runs a club ineptly and angers fans, there's going to be backlash. Dortmund hierarchy aren't on the best terms with their fans right now. Selling Haaland to maximize a fee is probably the worst thing they could do this summer to make it worse.

I don't buy it. If you go all in for the bundesliga, you go all in and you keep Sancho

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Not really, but he's an exciting player. Showed glimses with Rennes, but couldn't buy consistency.
LFC specialty. They find guys like that and see if the analytics are a match. Mane and Diogo Jota two examples of this. Raphinha been very good for Leeds with impressive metrics. Not sure how likely but something to keep an eye on.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Re: Haaland. Dortmund are going to put a stupid number on his to sell early. The onus is going to be on the other teams to match Dortmund’s blank check. Simple.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Re: Haaland. Dortmund are going to put a stupid number on his to sell early. The onus is going to be on the other teams to match Dortmund’s blank check. Simple.

Raiola is the money man. Haaland didn’t move there for a long career.

whether they honor the buyout clause or force a move this summer is the question. He’s not staying long term.

Reactions: Evilo

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Knowing fully well they will get owned in a year.
They can't really be happy with losing him for 75M. Him signing an extension is just a ridiculous hope at this point. His agent won't let him stay if he can move to Real, Barca, City, Liverpool or Bayern.
A few of these will propose 150M for him. Do you think BVB will say "nah it's 180" and risk losing him for HALF the price a year after?
That would be bad management.
Again, they might have lost something like 30-40M on a (disapointing) year of Sancho. Was it worth it? No, it wasn't.
BVB is not a team contending for any title, except maybe the domestic cup. They also want to keep their image of step between a good club and a great. They want to attract young guys who will sign after 2 years in a top 5 club. What Monaco did at some point. Keeping one of those players from signing with a giant club is bad management and bad image for the next signings.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Knowing fully well they will get owned in a year.
They can't really be happy with losing him for 75M. Him signing an extension is just a ridiculous hope at this point. His agent won't let him stay if he can move to Real, Barca, City, Liverpool or Bayern.
A few of these will propose 150M for him. Do you think BVB will say "nah it's 180" and risk losing him for HALF the price a year after?
That would be bad management.
Again, they might have lost something like 30-40M on a (disapointing) year of Sancho. Was it worth it? No, it wasn't.
BVB is not a team contending for any title, except maybe the domestic cup. They also want to keep their image of step between a good club and a great. They want to attract young guys who will sign after 2 years in a top 5 club. What Monaco did at some point. Keeping one of those players from signing with a giant club is bad management and bad image for the next signings.
Regarding the bolded I think there are enough teams interested to keep driving the price up. It’s not like with Sancho last year where it was United or bust. Someone is going the blink.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

That; another chance to win a CL that they will not win because their squad just doesn't have enough elite players, regardless of the coaching; and protecting their prestige/stature within german football by minimizing the disruption that they have to deal with over a single summer.

Replacing Sancho or Haaland on their own will be difficult enough for Watzke & co.; especially with a coaching change happening at the same time...replacing both at once could kill any chance they have of staying in the CL spots next season and see them dropping decisively behind Leipzig in Germany's football hierarchy, despite their wealth.

Not saying I've heard anything about this from someone who would know...just explaining why BVB could prefer holding onto Erling for another year, even if that means a much smaller transfer fee when they do eventually sell him. As those sales wouldn't close the gap to Bayern, nor would they really impact their financial advantages over everyone else in the BuLi.
I just re-read the post and I think I misread it. I thought he meant they would keep him and that Dortmund care more than just maximizing the fee.
You are correct, that is what I was trying to say...though I should've included a "necessarily" in my initial post.

Just wanna repeat that this is all just speculation, not something I've been told...but that is absolutely a path that I can see them if Sancho is sold. They can afford to pay for a little less instability this summer.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York

But whose said there’s any price tag for this summer? Is there a price tag at Liverpool for TAA?

I guess every player has a price tag at some number, but it doesn’t seem like Dortmund’s naming a price to tell other clubs to reach.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
But whose said there’s any price tag for this summer? Is there a price tag at Liverpool for TAA?

I guess every player has a price tag at some number, but it doesn’t seem like Dortmund’s naming a price to tell other clubs to reach.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Regarding the bolded I think there are enough teams interested to keep driving the price up. It’s not like with Sancho last year where it was United or bust. Someone is going the blink.
I doubt anyone can spend over 150. Maybe City.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

I mean TAA isn’t leaving for half the price next season....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad