Transfer: Summer Transfer Rumors and Discussion Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Personally I don't think these threads should be strictly limited to Tier 1 sources. Can lead to some interesting discussions. However I agree that aggregators are shit unless they link the actual source.

Not sure what Jussi is trying to accomplish with all this useless spam though. I recall him being pretty keen on policing threads himself previously. Things sure have taken a turn.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Personally I don't think these threads should be strictly limited to Tier 1 sources. Can lead to some interesting discussions. However I agree that aggregators are shit unless they link the actual source.

Not sure what Jussi is trying to accomplish with all this spam though. I recall him being pretty keen on policing threads himself previously. Things sure have taken a turn.
Jussi likes the attention. Tier One is a very subjective term anyway but right now it’s overboard. I’d settle for only news from verified named tweets (no general newspapers, no aggregators, etc) but as it stands now it’s giving me a headache

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
And we still don't have a right back or a backup for Jordi Alba.

I read the other day that Dest is staying and now that Sergi has been renewed I suppose that gives us options, but I think that's why Azpilicueta is rumored.

With regards to LB, I would imagine they'll get there. Plenty of options out there. I think both Gaya and Grimaldo have entered the final years of their respective contracts. Also, Sergio Gomez is available who I think is the closest to Alba with regards to delivering balls in the box.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I read the other day that Dest is staying and now that Sergi has been renewed I suppose that gives us options, but I think that's why Azpilicueta is rumored.

With regards to LB, I would imagine they'll get there. Plenty of options out there. I think both Gaya and Grimaldo have entered the final years of their respective contracts. Also, Sergio Gomez is available who I think is the closest to Alba with regards to delivering balls in the box.
Gaya will be 100 and still barca would keep “tabs” on him. Our options at RB are trash, cbs not much better but it’s ok we signed 7 wingers

Reactions: luiginb

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I was hoping this was dead in the water. Last I heard was Chelsea wanted too much for him, but they were fine paying the peanuts for Azpilicueta.
they’re both out of contract in a year, but it makes sense. Azpi is more of a favor for his tenure and they don’t want to stand in his way if he really wants to go.

OTOH, Alonso is younger. I can see why they want a bigger fee. Also had the best season of his career.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Gaya will be 100 and still barca would keep “tabs” on him. Our options at RB are trash, cbs not much better but it’s ok we signed 7 wingers

Well not sure what they're doing with LB. I doubt Gaya or Soler go for free, especially Gaya, but both will be come next Summer.

I'd have kept Dani for RB, let Sergi go, sold Dest and brought in Dodo.

Plenty of CBs out there. They're focused on Kounde and it sounds like they'll get him, but others out there.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Not sure what Jussi is trying to accomplish with all this useless spam though. I recall him being pretty keen on policing threads himself previously. Things sure have taken a turn.
And do you remember what I was policing about?

Koulibaly 😎

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Tuchel seems to like everyone, but it also seems to have a short shelf life

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona

He was giving hell not so long ago for posting shitty sources. How things change quickly when your team might get someone relevant

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

I agree that it's worth the discussion to post non-surefire sources. That's part of the fun of this thread. The thread isn't fun when it's one person posting every single tweet an aggregator makes regarding one player going to one club especially when those tweets all say the same thing and each tweet shows no progress from the one prior.
Sounds like my dating history in college

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
You act like he must like all of the leftover signings from Frank and the board, and if he doesn't, then it's just shiny new toy syndrome. We are signing 3 new defenders because Rudiger and Christensen decided to leave when their contracts were up, and Azpi wants to go back to Spain.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You act like he must like all of the leftover signings from Frank and the board, and if he doesn't, then it's just shiny new toy syndrome. We are signing 3 new defenders because Rudiger and Christensen decided to leave when their contracts were up, and Azpi wants to go back to Spain.
I mean he liked Lukaku until he didn’t and that turned out to be one of the worst transfers of all time. His name is getting attached to these players for better or worse. We were told Chelsea would be operating differently but they are doing the same stuff they’ve been doing for a decade.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I mean he liked Lukaku until he didn’t and that turned out to be one of the worst transfers of all time. His name is getting attached to these players for better or worse. We were told Chelsea would be operating differently but they are doing the same stuff they’ve been doing for a decade.
In what way? Because they signed Sterling to big wages? What did you expect on how they'd be operating differently, we won't see those types of changes for at least a full year with the new ownership and board implementing the changes.

Did you honestly expect that Boehly would simply not give Tuchel any transfer budget and wait a full year to implement a new scouting and recruitment strategy? I don't even understand your criticisms.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
In what way? Because they signed Sterling to big wages? What did you expect on how they'd be operating differently, we won't see those types of changes for at least a full year with the new ownership and board implementing the changes.

Did you honestly expect that Boehly would simply not give Tuchel any transfer budget and wait a full year to implement a new scouting and recruitment strategy? I don't even understand your criticisms.
Because they have shiny new toy syndrome. Because all the PR and published articles is that they were going to be run more like LFC and City and they have been doing the opposite. Nothing wrong with giving transfer budget but let’s not pretend they are doing anything differently. Tuchel has his players. He Is ignoring the home grown talent and Chelsea is splashing cash. It’s their entire club identity. My criticism is that people are pretending that it isn’t.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Because they have shiny new toy syndrome. Because all the PR and published articles is that they were going to be run more like LFC and City and they have been doing the opposite. Nothing wrong with giving transfer budget but let’s not pretend they are doing anything differently. Tuchel has his players. He Is ignoring the home grown talent and Chelsea is splashing cash. It’s their entire club identity. My criticism is that people are pretending that it isn’t.
Ignoring home grown talent? Mount and James are both key/core players, Chalobah is a solid enough squad player, and RLC came out of nowhere and played some solid minutes. Lets not pretend that the City or Liverpool strategy is about focusing on home grown talent because that would be a bullshit position to take. So, what exactly is the criticism here? He didn't ignore the home grown talent that is good enough, and the clubs we want to model ourselves after don't really put anymore focus on home grown talent than what we are currently doing.

What shiny new toy syndrome? That would be if we actually signed Ronaldo or Neymar, but that isn't happening.

We've made 1 signing, and the other rumored signings that are close are simply to replace players that already left. And the City and Liverpool strategy involves lots of splashing of cash, so lets not pretend it's not. City and Liverpool strategy is really just saying the manager will have a bigger say, and signings will be more data driven.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Ignoring home grown talent? Mount and James are both key/core players, Chalobah is a solid enough squad player, and RLC came out of nowhere and played some solid minutes. Lets not pretend that the City or Liverpool strategy is about focusing on home grown talent because that would be a bullshit position to take. So, what exactly is the criticism here? He didn't ignore the home grown talent that is good enough, and the clubs we want to model ourselves after don't really put anymore focus on home grown talent than what we are currently doing.

What shiny new toy syndrome? That would be if we actually signed Ronaldo or Neymar, but that isn't happening.

We've made 1 signing, and the other rumored signings that are close are simply to replace players that already left. And the City and Liverpool strategy involves lots of splashing of cash, so lets not pretend it's not. City and Liverpool strategy is really just saying the manager will have a bigger say, and signings will be more data driven.
Signing 31 year old CB and overpaying on a former homegrown talent for…reasons(?) instead of giving those minutes to Chalobah, who certainly earned more time, and Colwill who was the best CB in the Championship is shiny new toy syndrome. Mount and James were the first HGP that got a chance there (under Lampard) since Terry and yeah, they are clearly the outliers; not the standard. Are they really done shopping yet? We will see.

And you stumbled on my point. Most managers have a big say. Tuchel had a say in getting Lukaku. This isn’t new. Everyone uses analytics but LFC and City aren’t going to try to sign Raphinha with four other competent RWs on the roster. Those teams would have just played Hudson-Odoi and spent money elsewhere. It’s shiny new toy syndrome. Three examples right there this window. It’s same old Chelsea.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Some reporting saying West Ham is close to Scamacca for €40M + €7M.

I know nothing about the player, but see he’s 6’5”. Sounds like a Moyes fever dream.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Signing 31 year old CB and overpaying on a former homegrown talent for…reasons(?) instead of giving those minutes to Chalobah, who certainly earned more time, and Colwill who was the best CB in the Championship is shiny new toy syndrome. Mount and James were the first HGP that got a chance there (under Lampard) since Terry and yeah, they are clearly the outliers; not the standard. Are they really done shopping yet? We will see.

And you stumbled on my point. Most managers have a big say. Tuchel had a say in getting Lukaku. This isn’t new. Everyone uses analytics but LFC and City aren’t going to try to sign Raphinha with four other competent RWs on the roster. Those teams would have just played Hudson-Odoi and spent money elsewhere. It’s shiny new toy syndrome. It’s same old Chelsea.
You're absolutely delusional if you believe any of the big clubs that have top 4 or title hopes would enter a season by just giving big minutes to young players unproven in those roles just for...reasons(?). And it's also delusional for a big club with same aspirations to enter the season with a forward group that they know doesn't work. City absolutely would do that, and they have done that, many times over. Liverpool have prioritized using the transfer market and big wages to build their title winning squads. And for years, the Liverpool fans on here have always clamored about how they needed to spend even more money and in positions where they already had clear starters, so the new arrivals wouldn't get much starting minutes.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I don't know if I agree with the idea that Tuchel is ignoring homegrown talent. We saw a lot of Mount, James, and Chalobah last season. There's no reason to think those three won't be playing a role this year. They're bringing in Sterling, sure, but it's not like he's displacing a top homegrown talent. Maybe you can make that argument at CB if they bring in multiple names, but they're losing Christensen, Rudiger, and Azpi.

I mean, would you say that Liverpool is splashing the cash and ignoring homegrown talent because they signed Diaz/Nunez instead of giving all those minutes to Elliott/Gordon? Or when they brought in Ramsey to replace home grown talent N. Williams? Of course not. And I'm no Chelsea fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad