NHL Summer 2023 Preseason - Mike Babcock Resigns as HC of CBJ

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I do get a chuckle out of the issue of vets/older players not having an issue with Babs creepshow act.

I was Captain of my high school football team. It was fun, it was a really enjoyable time of life. Then, playing on that team, meant the world to me. Loved, loved, loved it. Still can look back on it and smile.

In big picture, a tiny little American town with a tiny little football team. Quite literally it carried no import at all (again except to me and my teammates and some of our classmates).

BUT STILL -- I had a lot more leeway than kids who didn't start or were underclassmen. I didn't abuse it, but the fact remained -- my leash was longer. I knew it and so did a lot of other people. And, again, that is a tiny little Podunk town with Division 3 high school football.

If that's true in Smallsville, USA -- to learn that the Austin Matthews of the world don't care what Babs does with their phone as long as he doesn't break it, send a dorky text under AM's name, or slobber on it??????????????? At the same time a fringe player trying to land a roster spot thinks WTF -- this is uncomfortable and thinks it's bullshit?????

Absolute shocker that. Consider me flabbergasted.

Reactions: lopey and sarge88

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005

IMG_1971.jpeg

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
One thing to keep in mind here is that Marty Walsh just took over as chief of the NHLPA. This was his first major issue to deal with. You don't want to come in and lose faith of the players almost immediately. He was always going to pursue this to the fullest extent. I haven't read everything on it but one thing I think is possible is that Babcock treated Jenner and Gaudreau differently. Perhaps he was more nefarious in his dealings with younger players. I am sure the investigation led to talking to all players involved to get a full accounting of what happened. If it was just an older coach being "awkward" in trying to connect with a different generation there are ways around that. But for Babcock to resign tells you there was something there.

One thing I could do without is the absolute clown Paul Bissonnette gloating on social media.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Other than continue cashing the checks from the advertisers.

Those cats never go back in the bag. At least, I can't think of a case off the top of my head where it's happened. Those things are here to stay, and of course the turning of the uniforms into billboards has already begun. I'd be very surprised to see any of it walked back.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

Highlights from the SC pod about Babcock. This one kills me:

"Some other stories about babcock were shared. One older player who hasn’t quite cracked the NHL yet said that he was sitting on the bench in an empty arena taping his stick before the final preseason game in Anaheim. Babcock came and sat next to him, said something along the lines of “this is pretty amazing isn’t it?.” When the player he agreed, Babcock continued; “soak it in, it’s the last time you’ll ever be on an NHL bench.”"

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007

Highlights from the SC pod about Babcock. This one kills me:

"Some other stories about babcock were shared. One older player who hasn’t quite cracked the NHL yet said that he was sitting on the bench in an empty arena taping his stick before the final preseason game in Anaheim. Babcock came and sat next to him, said something along the lines of “this is pretty amazing isn’t it?.” When the player he agreed, Babcock continued; “soak it in, it’s the last time you’ll ever be on an NHL bench.”"

I'm not disputing this happened but it's just so difficult to believe a coach could be this vindictive--and for no reason whatsoever. It is stunning behavior if that really happened. That is going out of your way to crush someone just because you can.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
How about what he did to Modano?
Same thing really. What is the accusation there, that he didn't let him get to 1500 games? It makes you wonder how Babcock lasted as long as he did. It's one thing for a coach to do something to a player for SOME type of reason. But just to be a prick? Surprised there aren't more stories out there about Babcock. Maybe now with his resignation we start to see other stuff come out.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I'm not disputing this happened but it's just so difficult to believe a coach could be this vindictive--and for no reason whatsoever. It is stunning behavior if that really happened. That is going out of your way to crush someone just because you can.
Babcock is a world class piece of shit. I 100% believe this happened. Guy is scum.

"I get the shivers when I think about it. That incident occurred against Nashville in the playoffs. It was coarse, nasty and shocking. But that was just one out of a hundred things he did. The tip of the iceberg," Franzen said.

This was in regards to being verbally abused on the bench and in the locker room. Chelios confirmed it, too.

Reactions: lopey and Alicat

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Babcock seems like a high-functioning sociopath. They are smart enough to know how to manipulate people via power dynamics, as well as prey on the weak while putting on a good show in front of people that can be of benefit to them. Actually pretty hard to identify these people until you are on the receiving end of their BS, usually in a secretive situation.

After last summer a Bs fan should be the last to criticize a front office for not doing due diligence in hiring a known piece of work, but holy crap it's odd that a front office with some really smart people in it would hire a coach in the first place with so much baggage and a negative reputation.

Reactions: TCB and BMC

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Babcock seems like a high-functioning sociopath. They are smart enough to know how to manipulate people via power dynamics, as well as prey on the weak while putting on a good show in front of people that can be of benefit to them. Actually pretty hard to identify these people until you are on the receiving end of their BS, usually in a secretive situation.

After last summer a Bs fan should be the last to criticize a front office for not doing due diligence in hiring a known piece of work, but holy crap it's odd that a front office with some really smart people in it would hire a coach in the first place with so much baggage and a negative reputation.
John Davidson returned to Columbus as President of Hockey Operations in 2021. I suppose this should probably be viewed as his hire. He's 70 and probably pushed for the "old school" Babcock. Although now that I say that, Jarmo hired Tortorella so maybe he is the one who likes these types of coaches.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
John Davidson returned to Columbus as President of Hockey Operations in 2021. I suppose this should probably be viewed as his hire. He's 70 and probably pushed for the "old school" Babcock. Although now that I say that, Jarmo hired Tortorella so maybe he is the one who likes these types of coaches.
It would be interesting to know the thought process of the people who ultimately thought it was a good idea to hire the creep.

I can understand the hiring of Torts. He can be a hardass, but I don't think there is any creepy baggage associated with. Also, as much as a hardass as he can be it seems players like playing for him for the most part. It's the media that seems to hate him more than anyone. Babcock on the other hand...

Reactions: lopey

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Some really wild stuff in that reddit thread...honestly the most telling to me is inviting a young player on the pretense of lunch, going through his phone and then telling him to leave with no lunch? Like wtf is that, this dude can't even show the smallest little sliver of manners/respect while he is doing this garbage? Good riddance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad