NHL Summer 2023 Preseason - Mike Babcock Resigns as HC of CBJ

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
IMG_6852.jpeg

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
The man leaves as the only undefeated Head Coach in Blue Jackets history....

Even if Bissonnette grossly mischaracterized the situation, which he likely did, Babs couldn't help himself.

The list is long -- Mike Commodore, Johan Franzén, Mike Modano, Mitch Marner and all the rest.

It couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Reactions: pearljamvs5

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I've never liked Babcock and he seemed like a bit of a jerk, but I never thought he was this insane. Going through players' phones and shit is Keenan-level. And I'm sure what's been leaked is only the tip of the iceburg.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Hilarious how obvious of a mistake this was from the very start. Coach who has a legitimate history of treating players poorly immediately treats players poorly, what a shock. Makes me wonder if Jarmo is now firmly on the hot seat for even entertaining hiring Babs, nevertheless actually giving him the job.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Well I was pretty vocal in his defense, boy was I wrong...can't teach an old dog new tricks is apparently true ...what an idiot as was I for thinking no way he would cross the line again

It's a strange situation. Babcock's done this phone photos thing before. We know that because Pat Marleau said he did it in Toronto, and actually was another guy who had no problem with it. So either no-one in Toronto told Babs that some players found it inappropriate, or someone did and he ignored them, in which case more fool him.

Seems as a very general rule that the more established players don't mind it, but some of the youngsters find it problematic. Probably the older guys either aren't fussed or they feel comfortable about saying 'no' if they don't like it, whereas some of the kids might feel coerced or pressured into it, even if they aren't really, because they don't want to upset their coach. Which I get, and that's where the potential problem lies.

A coach with a cleaner past could ride this out - in itself it's a slightly odd thing but I think not outrageous or inherently sackable, but Babcock's record is what it is and he has to bear the consequences of that. Columbus really should never have hired him in the first place.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I think it's pretty smart. The more you stir the shit the more it smells.

He should perhaps be fired for hiring Babcock in the 1st place , this had no chance of working from the start.
Maybe.But the minute he realized he hired a wacko he immediately fired him.

Other than that he made a big whopper of a mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad