NHL Summer 2023 Preseason - Mike Babcock Resigns as HC of CBJ

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
So on the one hand we have two former players, one of whom never even played for Columbus, making claims, and on the other two senior players of the current Blue Jackets who say nothing to see here.

I'm not a big fan of Babcock but I have a lot of respect for Boone Jenner and if he says it was all above board then at this stage I'm willing to give Mike the benefit of the doubt. If what he did was as Jenner and Gaudreau described then it's a little unorthodox but I get the intent, and as long as it was done with full consent I don't really see a problem with it.

If a current Columbus player calls it out then I'd have to rethink my position, but at present I don't think any further action is required on this.
It’s fine. It’s not like Biz is a media personality on national TV coverage of the NHL or anything like that…

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
So on the one hand we have two former players, one of whom never even played for Columbus, making claims, and on the other two senior players of the current Blue Jackets who say nothing to see here.

I'm not a big fan of Babcock but I have a lot of respect for Boone Jenner and if he says it was all above board then at this stage I'm willing to give Mike the benefit of the doubt. If what he did was as Jenner and Gaudreau described then it's a little unorthodox but I get the intent, and as long as it was done with full consent I don't really see a problem with it.

If a current Columbus player calls it out then I'd have to rethink my position, but at present I don't think any further action is required on this.
Will be curious to see what happens with Biz if the investigation fails to show what he's alleging. He works for Arizona as well as TNT.

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015

Not only that, but I thinks Babs has a legitimate defamation case (if a current columbus player doesn't come out) and has the $$ to pursue it likely with the backing of Columbus ownership, I hope he does .. I hate ..repeat hate irresponsible reporting..dying art of verifying information in this day and age, loudest lie wins ...#sad

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
It’s fine. It’s not like Biz is a media personality on national TV coverage of the NHL or anything like that…

Yeah I overlooked Biz's TV role. He's going in really hard on this. Clearly hates Babs, which isn't to say that he's lying but the level of vitriol here strongly suggests a deep personal disgust.

If the Blue Jackets back Babcock and all the players stick by him then this may go the other way and TNT may have little choice but to fire Biz unless he makes a full public retraction or something like that.

Weird situation all round.

Reactions: BMC and Alicat

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I've only seen this one report:

From reading that I don't understand what Bissonnette's point is in all this. What is he claiming Babcock did if actual players on the team have no problem explaining what happened and that they are ok with it? What am I missing? I admit I have no idea what "link their phones up to airplay mode" even means so I don't know what Bissonnette is getting at.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Not only that, but I thinks Babs has a legitimate defamation case (if a current columbus player doesn't come out) and has the $$ to pursue it likely with the backing of Columbus ownership, I hope he does .. I hate ..repeat hate irresponsible reporting..dying art of verifying information in this day and age, loudest lie wins ...#sad

Not sure it'll come to that but I fully agree about the irresponsible reporting part. Obviously Babcock has history and is an easy target, which is his own fault, but if you're going to go after him as hard as this then make sure your sources are solid. Who knows?, perhaps they actually are. But right now it's just really messy.

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
Not sure it'll come to that but I fully agree about the irresponsible reporting part. Obviously Babcock has history and is an easy target, which is his own fault, but if you're going to go after him as hard as this then make sure your sources are solid. Who knows?, perhaps they actually are. But right now it's just really messy.
Maybe but if someone tried to take my livelihood away ..which for Babs is $8M in this and next year combined ... I'd make them sweat it out in court big time ..and past history doesn't play into the decision

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

At this stage the NHL considers that Babcock has no case to answer and the matter is closed unless credible new information comes to light.

Biz has sold himself down the river on this one and if it really does go nowhere then he should probably face some consequences for it. Some of the stuff he tweeted was deeply unprofessional.

I'll freely admit I'm not a fan of Spittin' Chiclets - they have some good interviews but there's a hyper-masculinity to it that I don't care for and they're not shy about beating on people they don't like. So perhaps this is my bias showing but they do seem to have screwed up here. Perhaps it will rein them in a bit.

Last edited:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I've only seen this one report:

From reading that I don't understand what Bissonnette's point is in all this. What is he claiming Babcock did if actual players on the team have no problem explaining what happened and that they are ok with it? What am I missing? I admit I have no idea what "link their phones up to airplay mode" even means so I don't know what Bissonnette is getting at.
It sounds like he wanted the players to connect their phones to the larger tv/monitor via Airplay that lets you share what is on your phone to your tv. Basically he wanted them to connect their phones to the tv instead of taking their phone.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
It sounds like he wanted the players to connect their phones to the larger tv/monitor via Airplay that lets you share what is on your phone to your tv. Basically he wanted them to connect their phones to the tv instead of taking their phone.
I guess it's still confusing to me. What is Bissonette trying to say Babcock's goal was here? Like what does he think Babcock was trying to accomplish from all this? I am missing the nefarious aspect of what Babcock did. Maybe I just don't understand Airplay. Would it cycle through all the phones and start randomly pulling potentially sensitive pictures from their phone up on to a big screen?

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
I guess it's still confusing to me. What is Bissonette trying to say Babcock's goal was here? Like what does he think Babcock was trying to accomplish from all this? I am missing the nefarious aspect of what Babcock did. Maybe I just don't understand Airplay. Would it cycle through all the phones and start randomly pulling potentially sensitive pictures from their phone up on to a big screen?
I think it just mirrors your phone screen to another screen. Idk, according to Google.

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017

At this stage the NHL considers that Babcock has no case to answer and the matter is closed unless credible new information comes to light.

Biz has sold himself down the river on this one and if it really does go nowhere then he should probably face some consequences for it. Some of the stuff he tweeted was deeply unprofessional.

I'll freely admit I'm not a fan of Spittin' Chiclets - they have some good interviews but there's a hyper-masculinity to it that I don't care for and they're not shy about beating on people they don't like. So perhaps this is my bias showing but they do seem to have screwed up here. Perhaps it will reign them in a bit.

Spittin' Chiclets sucks IMO, too obnoxious. They're the Family Guy of podcasts.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
is this something I can envision Babcock doing and I think is silly that he has done it in the past? Yep, but this feels like a nothing burger as many others have stated thus far. I have no love for either Biz or Babs, just think this is Biz doing what he does best, shoot his mouth off for ratings

Reactions: missingchicklet

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
They've known since last season Price was done so there is no excuse if they suck again this season.

He and his family moved back to Kelowna this summer after selling their place in Montreal

I knew he had taken an extended leave to deal with mental & physical health issues but I didn't know he'd finally decided to retire.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I have to say, I am shocked, literally shocked how posters on these boards are so quick to judge. Especially when the source is spittin' chicklets.

Think for a second, regardless of what you think of Babcock , this story had the credibility of the National Inquirer.

Click bait if in it's purist form and shame on you who incourage it.

Isn't it innocent until proven guilty or is that just some shit you think sounds good but doesn't really mean anything?

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I have to say, I am shocked, literally shocked how posters on these boards are so quick to judge. Especially when the source is spittin' chicklets.

Think for a second, regardless of what you think of Babcock , this story had the credibility of the National Inquirer.

Isn't it innocent until proven guilty or is that just some shit you think sounds good but doesn't really mean anything?

We aren't in court, so innocent until proven guilty doesnt apply. People make comments, sometimes before the story is fully out. He's done extremely questionable things before, so he's not earned the benefit of the doubt from me.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
We aren't in court, so innocent until proven guilty doesnt apply. People make comments, some times before the story is fully out. He's done extremely questionable things before, so he's not earned the benefit of the doubt from me.
Oh come on, do you need to be in court to be a decent human being?

I mean think for second, here's a guy who's been out of hockey for an extended period of time and the 1st thing on his agenda is go through his players phones?

That's f***in' stupid. Stupid is who put this shit out there and stupid is who repeated it . The stupidest of all are those who believed it.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
We aren't in court, so innocent until proven guilty doesnt apply. People make comments, sometimes before the story is fully out. He's done extremely questionable things before, so he's not earned the benefit of the doubt from me.

I partly disagree with this. Technically yes, in forming a personal or even public opinion there's no need to presume innocence until proven otherwise beyond reasonable doubt. But I do think our default position on any claim made should be caution and at least some sort of half-decent assessment of all the available evidence before coming to a more firm opinion on where the likely truth lies. Trial by media/social media has become a major blight on our society and the eagerness of people to pile in on accused persons is very problematic.

I get what you're saying, and speculation and forming a preliminary opinion on things we hear/read are human nature, especially when a subject person has past form. That's fine, to a point. I just think it's sensible to be careful when accusations are made, especially if only one side has made their case and the sources are unclear.

• Love
Reactions: BMC

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

People are going to discuss things on a discussion board. Especially when it's originally reported that multiple people are confirming it's true. This wasn't some faceless anonymous Twitter account with 5 followers claiming this.

This shouldn't be shocking to you if you've ever been on the Internet anytime since it's inception.

Us discussing this in a hockey forum as if it was hypothetically true has zero real world consequences.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad