NHL Summer 2023 Preseason - Mike Babcock Resigns as HC of CBJ

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I partly disagree with this. Technically yes, in forming a personal or even public opinion there's no need to presume innocence until proven otherwise beyond reasonable doubt. But I do think our default position on any claim made should be caution and at least some sort of half-decent assessment of all the available evidence before coming to a more firm opinion on where the likely truth lies. Trial by media/social media has become a major blight on our society and the eagerness of people to pile in on accused persons is very problematic.

I get what you're saying, and speculation and forming a preliminary opinion on things we hear/read are human nature, especially when a subject person has past form. That's fine, to a point. I just think it's sensible to be careful when accusations are made, especially if only one side has made their case and the sources are unclear.
Oh come on, do you need to be in court to be a decent human being?

I mean think for second, here's a guy who's been out of hockey for an extended period of time and the 1st thing on his agenda is go through his players phones?

That's f***in' stupid. Stupid is who put this shit out there and stupid is who repeated it . The stupidest of all are those who believed it.

As I said, he's done some questionable stuff before, so he gets no benefit of the doubt from me. Perhaps this helps rehab that thinking, perhaps not. Only time will tell.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Maybe I'm missing something but I dont get all the outrage over what Babcock did.

Is it not just the modern version of getting caught passing a note in class and the teacher makes you go up and read it out loud?

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Maybe I'm missing something but I dont get all the outrage over what Babcock did.

Is it not just the modern version of getting caught passing a note in class and the teacher makes you go up and read it out loud?

Just like when teachers did it in grade school, it's a gross invasion of privacy**

**If the Commodore/Bissonette version is true

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007

If I could even understand what people are accusing Babcock of doing I would have a stronger opinion. I simply can't comprehend what Babcock is being accused of. It doesn't make any sense to me.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
If I could even understand what people are accusing Babcock of doing I would have a stronger opinion. I simply can't comprehend what Babcock is being accused of. It doesn't make any sense to me.

The way it was written, it seemed he was looking at players' personal photos without their permission.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
The way it was written, it seemed he was looking at players' personal photos without their permission.
If that is the accusation I guess I didn't read it that way. Or it was poorly written. This could certainly get cleared up if any player(s) came forward saying it was nefarious activity. It just seems very muddled to me.

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
Just like when teachers did it in grade school, it's a gross invasion of privacy**

**If the Commodore/Bissonette version is true
Mike Commodore still blames Babcock for "killing is career" back when he was an over-the-hill defenseman on the Red Wings at like age 35. I wouldn't believe a word he says, but that's just me.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
If that is the accusation I guess I didn't read it that way. Or it was poorly written. This could certainly get cleared up if any player(s) came forward saying it was nefarious activity. It just seems very muddled to me.
Not written. In the podcast it was presented as “give me your phone, I want to see your photos to see what kind of a person you are”. Then he would take it and airplay it on his monitor.

Far cry from “hey I just want to get a chance to know you - you have any pictures of your family or anything you’d like to share?”

I think the former struck some (myself included) as seeming possible/credible due to Mike Babcock’s reputation. I think even those who gasped though were never definitive. It was just “if this is true - yuck”.

I know if someone told me to hand over my photos to see what kind of a person I am, I’d tell ‘em to go f*** himself - THAT’S the kind of person I am. And I don’t have anything remotely embarrassing on my phone.

But that’s not what (who I would deem) credible sources in Jenner and Gaudreau are saying. Which makes this podcast seem grossly irresponsible.

Last edited:

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Mike Commodore still blames Babcock for "killing is career" back when he was an over-the-hill defenseman on the Red Wings at like age 35. I wouldn't believe a word he says, but that's just me.

I know about the history there. I'd be surprised if he came right out and told a lie by twisting the events that happened.

I'm sure time will tell who's closer to the truth.

Reactions: Grimey

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Not written. In the podcast it was presented as “give me your phone, I want to see your photos to see what kind of a person you are”. Then he would take it and airplay it on his monitor.

Far cry from “hey I just want to get a chance to know you - you have any pictures of your family or anything you’d like to share?”

I think the former struck some (myself included) as seeming possible/credible due to Mike Babcock’s reputation. I think even those who gasped though were never definitive. It was just “if this is true - yuck”.

I know if someone told me to hand over my photos to see what kind of a person I am, I’d tell ‘em to go f*** himself - THAT’S the kind of person I am. And I don’t have anything remotely embarrassing on my phone.

But that’s not what (who I would deem) credible sources in Jenner and Gaudreau are saying. Which makes this podcast seem grossly irresponsible.
Thank you for adding this context as I only read an ESPN story and didn't hear the podcast so it was unclear to me what he was being accused of. I have a hard time believing that one of the first things he would do upon getting his last NHL gig is demand everyone's phone so he could look through them. I could certainly be wrong on that of course. But based on what the players on the team have said (or haven't said) it doesn't sound like that is what happened here.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
People are going to discuss things on a discussion board. Especially when it's originally reported that multiple people are confirming it's true. This wasn't some faceless anonymous Twitter account with 5 followers claiming this.

This shouldn't be shocking to you if you've ever been on the Internet anytime since it's inception.

Us discussing this in a hockey forum as if it was hypothetically true has zero real world consequences.

Everyone except the players who were actually involved . They on the other hand have stated that it wasn't like that at all.

This is what Jenner had to say

“He then asked if I had pictures of my family and I was happy to share some with him. He showed me pictures of his family. I thought it was a great first meeting and good way for us to start to build a relationship. To have this blown out of proportion is truly disappointing.”

If Jenner had a problem with Babcock he could have ended him right there whether the story were true or not .

Columbus' Babcock and Jenner deny malicious intent in phone incident

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Everyone except the players who were actually involved . They on the other hand have stated that it wasn't like that at all.

“He then asked if I had pictures of my family and I was happy to share some with him. He showed me pictures of his family. I thought it was a great first meeting and good way for us to start to build a relationship. To have this blown out of proportion is truly disappointing.”

If Jenner had a problem with Babcock he could have ended him right there whether the story were true or not .

BA03C668-051C-4EF0-B128-6DB852BDC907.jpeg

Reactions: pearljamvs5

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
So the younger players are the ones who had a major issue with what was going on.

This is a multi generational issue playing out for all to see. I can see why they would be uncomfortable and go to Chicklets with this especially if they felt like they couldn’t speak up. At the same time, I also feel like Gen Z is a bit soft.

Bottom line, all teams need to figure out how to deal with the multigenerational make up of their locker room before they end up in the news for all the wrong reasons.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
So the younger players are the ones who had a major issue with what was going on.

This is a multi generational issue playing out for all to see. I can see why they would be uncomfortable and go to Chicklets with this especially if they felt like they couldn’t speak up. At the same time, I also feel like Gen Z is a bit soft.

Bottom line, all teams need to figure out how to deal with the multigenerational make up of their locker room before they end up in the news for all the wrong reasons.
Yup and Babcock should also just not be such a creep.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
It shouldn't be difficult to get an "anonymous" accounting from all players on how the interaction with Babcock went. If it was truly a good natured, get to know my players effort that's one thing. Maybe people still find it creepy but there's also a generational gap to consider.

If it was nefarious activity where Babcock had different intentions than just getting to know his players, different ballgame. So is this an active investigation or not?

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

They are for sure a bit soft, but Babcock is such a weird dude for doing shit like that. He can't get to know someone without looking through their private stuff? just seems like a guy who is way out of touch with people.

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015

This nailed it. The multi generational issue also rears it's head in this forum. Analytics vs eye test, old school vs new school, decades of experience vs years of experience, etc. We've lost some very knowledgeable experienced posters on here over the last few years likely due to not knowing how to deal with this very issue or not wanting to waste their time/energy trying.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC and JOKER 192

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
They are for sure a bit soft, but Babcock is such a weird dude for doing shit like that. He can't get to know someone without looking through their private stuff? just seems like a guy who is way out of touch with people.
If this was another coach I don't think it would have blown up the way it did. It is clear the Chicklets guys have an axe to grind with Babcock and it is justified but I struggle with the timing of the release of the information especially since they admitted they heard about it weeks ago.

Again, teams need to learn how to handle multi-generational locker rooms and quickly. Makes me so happy that the Bruins started this process 15 years ago when they brought Chara and Savard in and hired Claude.

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
I know about the history there. I'd be surprised if he came right out and told a lie by twisting the events that happened.

Oh I could totally see Babcock doing this. Commodore's obsessive hate for the guy just makes it hard for me to believe him and Paul Bissonnette is the last guy I take seriously so I was gonna watch it unfold before believing anyone. I stopped following it for a few days and just googled Mike Babcock like ten minutes...LOL yikes.

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad