NHL Summer 2023 Preseason - Mike Babcock Resigns as HC of CBJ

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
No for actually hiring him in the first place.

Him not answering questions makes him a coward
I would normally agree but in this case I'm not sure I do.

I agree he should never have been hired in the 1st place. So many competent options yet they constantly go back to the same candidates over and over , I have forever failed to understand the reasoning behind that.

For the latter of your statements I tend to disagree. If someone asked me to share my photos and I deemed it to be inappropriate I would just say no.
I understand the there are laws to govern this type of activity however in everyday life there this happens every day. Lines are crossed and the law is usually only applied when reason has failed.

If I said no and I felt that I was being ostracized because of it , that is when I will have to speak up. Until then I don't see the need. If this is what happened then I would fully support the player(s) who feel that way.

What we have seen or at least what I have seen is nothing short of a witch hunt.
From the original outcry from spittin' chiklets, Commodore and everyone else I have read or heard I don't see how this can be qualified as any but. Just fueled by hate and bias and I don't buy into that type of thing.

If I didn't agree that Babcock had done wrong but I had to fire him for the sake of sanity in the locker room, I too would not want to answer questions because if I answered them truthfully I would only add to the problem.

Last edited:

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
If someone asked me to share my photos and I deemed it to be inappropriate I would just say no.

The majority of people in their heads thinks they'd always be the one to step up and say something.

Reality is that's not what happens regardless of the scenario you play out in your imagination.

There's a power imbalance between a cup winning veteran coach and a late teen early 20 NHL tweener trying to secure a spot in the big leagues.

I'm sure a guy like Jenner or Gaudreau would have zero issues saying no. They have pull to go above Babcock if he tried fkng with them.

My guess is Babs' approach when it came to the photos differed depending on who he was talking to.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I've never liked Babcock and he seemed like a bit of a jerk, but I never thought he was this insane. Going through players' phones and shit is Keenan-level. And I'm sure what's been leaked is only the tip of the iceburg.
Personally, I think this is relatively benign. However, as others have said, his reputation proceeds him.

At best, he is a jerk. At worst, something of a sociopath. Look it up.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

I agree he should never have been hired in the 1st place. So many competent options yet they constantly go back to the same candidates over and over , I have forever failed to understand the reasoning behind that.

For the latter of your statements I tend to disagree. If someone asked me to share my photos and I deemed it to be inappropriate I would just say no.
I understand the there are laws to govern this type of activity however in everyday life there this happens every day. Lines are crossed and the law is usually only applied when reason has failed.

If I said no and I felt that I was being ostracized because of it , that is when I will have to speak up. Until then I don't see the need. If this is what happened then I would fully support the player(s) who feel that way.

What we have seen or at least what I have seen is nothing short of a witch hunt.
From the original outcry from spittin' chiklets, Commodore and everyone else I have read or heard I don't see how this can be qualified as any but. Just fueled by hate and bias and I don't buy into that type of thing.
Again, I don't think that this latest incident is much.

But this guy has a track record. Commodore. Franzen.Chelios.Modano.Marner.

Alpha Babs.

He has a screw loose. Good riddance to bad garbage.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
The majority of people in their heads thinks they'd always be the one to step up and say something.

Reality is that's not what happens regardless of the scenario you play out in your imagination.

There's a power imbalance between a cup winning veteran coach and a late teen early 20 NHL tweener trying to secure a spot in the big leagues.

I'm sure a guy like Jenner or Gaudreau would have zero issues saying no. They have pull to go above Babcock if he tried fkng with them.

My guess is Babs' approach when it came to the photos differed depending on who he was talking to.
All that could be right.

I guess can only speak from my experience in life . If you step on my feet I will speak up for myself.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Again, I don't think that this latest incident is much.

But this guy has a track record. Commodore. Franzen.Chelios.Modano.Marner.

Alpha Babs.

He has a screw loose. Good riddance to bad garbage.

He should never have been hired. It had no chance.

Plenty of players seem to have an agenda aimed at him. With this I have a problem.

I worked for a hardass like him. I got what his end game was and it was fine with me. He wanted perfection, so did I . He wore down the foot draggers . He never bothered me. I didn't drag my feet.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

Plenty of players seem to have an agenda aimed at him. With this I have a problem.

I worked for a hardass like him. I got what his end game was and it was fine with me. He wanted perfection, so did I . He wore down the foot draggers . He never bothered me. I didn't drag my feet.
Said again:

Good riddance to bad garbage.

Reactions: Gordoff

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK

If I didn't agree that Babcock had done wrong but I had to fire him for the sake of sanity in the locker room, I too would not want to answer questions because if I answered them truthfully I would only add to the problem.
I was talking about Jarmo not talking and answering questions. He hired him. he needs to answer the hard questions. since he refuses to comment the media is going to just ask the players over and over again. Jarmo needs to be fired.

Reactions: lopey

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I was talking about Jarmo not talking and answering questions. He hired him. he needs to answer the hard questions. since he refuses to comment the media is going to just ask the players over and over again. Jarmo needs to be fired.

I agree he needs to be fired. Really poor judgement to think this could have been a success. I, like most people, raised an eyebrow when I heard he had been hired but at the end of the day I'm a Bruins fan , what do I care about what they are doing in Columbus? But I did ask myself if there was really not a better candidate at this time. So if that's what you mean I'm with you 100%.

Reactions: lopey and Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I agree he needs to be fired. Really poor judgement to think this could have been a success. I, like most people, raised an eyebrow when I heard he had been hired but at the end of the day I'm a Bruins fan , what do I care about what they are doing in Columbus? But I did ask myself if there was really not a better candidate at this time. So if that's what you mean I'm with you 100%.
Exactly what I meant. This is not on the players one bit. This is on Jarmo and Babcock.

Reactions: lopey and JOKER 192

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

THere's a massive difference between being a hardass because you demand the best, and being a hardass doing it in a skeevy way.

Of course there was an agenda, it's deserved. There was already a target on his back due to his reputation, and he couldn't help himself. People are tired of dealing with his shitty self. Deserved everything he got.

StonedZboril

Jul 8, 2022

This exactly. It comes down to power dynamics. It’s not hard to understand at all. Babcock has a long and well documented history of being a bully. Bully’s exploit imbalanced power dynamics to feel bigger than those people and feel in control. Of course the star player and the captain feel fine about it. They aren’t being approached in the same way and aren’t in the same position as the fringe players. This is the same Mfer who scratched Mike Modano for like 10 games in a row so he retired with 1499 instead of 1500 games played. Say what you want about younger kids being soft the reality is guys used to put up with it because they had no other choice not because of how hard they were. The culture was the locker room is closed. It’s the same type of culture that helped produce the Kyle Beech situation.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I feel terrible for Columbus fans, as the team can never seem to catch a break. Panarin and Bobrovsky sign elsewhere, the Matiss Kivlenieks tragedy, they lose the Bedard sweepstakes to Chicago (just as their dynastic run ends), seeing Vegas and Seattle prosper with expansion perks they never got, etc.

I also remember how much Colorado struggled when Patrick Roy stepped down as head coach just before the season. The best candidates were already taken, the vetting process was hurried, and it took a while for the new coach to get his systems in place.

So a season that wasn't too promising to begin with, now could be worse.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I feel terrible for Columbus fans, as the team can never seem to catch a break. Panarin and Bobrovsky sign elsewhere, the Matiss Kivlenieks tragedy, they lose the Bedard sweepstakes to Chicago (just as their dynastic run ends), seeing Vegas and Seattle prosper with expansion perks they never got, etc.

I also remember how much Colorado struggled when Patrick Roy stepped down as head coach just before the season. The best candidates were already taken, the vetting process was hurried, and it took a while for the new coach to get his systems in place.

So a season that wasn't too promising to begin with, now could be worse.
I loathe the fact that Chicago was handed Bedard.

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017

The word for that approach with the younger players would be bullying. Especially considering he conducts these meetings one on one and makes players feel they can't tell anyone.

Reactions: StonedZboril

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
THere's a massive difference between being a hardass because you demand the best, and being a hardass doing it in a skeevy way.

Of course there was an agenda, it's deserved. There was already a target on his back due to his reputation, and he couldn't help himself. People are tired of dealing with his shitty self. Deserved everything he got.
We you'd probably change your mind if you saw what I meant by hardass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad