NHL Summer 2023 Preseason - Mike Babcock Resigns as HC of CBJ

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Greetings everyone, and I hope everyone is having a nice summer.

Hot in Houston, but that can go in the "given" category along with death and taxes. ;)

It's been good on my end. In addition to unexpectedly having a great tan, I got a last minute invitation to an Astros game and witnessed my first no-hitter - and a lefty at that, Framber Valdez. Plus it was dollar-dog night!

I don't know how they do it, but how do the Canes seemingly get better every off-season? Do they ever have cap issues? Will their window ever shut? Whoever runs that organization is doing something right.

The Alex Wennberg debacle exemplifies why I never get on the bandwagon of the NHL needing to be "hip" on social media. Aside from marketing, I'm not sure why the team and the Wennberg's initially went along with this. I read some of the lewd comments and they were appalling.

I do applaud Felicia Weinberg for calling out the perpetrators.

"What doesn’t sit with me is when your desires come with sexual harassment, inappropriate comments and the fact that, with the Internet, we can normalize behavior that would never be OK if we flipped the genders around to a guy doing this to a female athlete."

I really hope this nips this sort of fanaticism in the bud and we can get on track to treating everyone the way we wish to be treated.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Holy smokes. Wilson has been addled with injuries for multiple seasons and is a shell of himself at his peak. Still a decent enough player when healthy, but, wow, signing a 29 yr old player whose body is on decline for 7 more years at that price is a bit astounding.
Yes, but they must make one last run to Mount Ovechkin.

Washington is pooh.

Reactions: BMC

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Wow! Good trade for both the Sharks and the Pens.

Pens trying to give Sid and Geno a couple more runs at the Cup. Can't fault them for that. Doubt the addition of Karlsson will be enough, though. Main question has to be how healthy Karlsson will be. Pens seem to have bad luck with injuries to key players. Karlsson missed a lot of games to injury the several seasons before this past one. Good luck to any team trying to stop the Pens PP now.

SJ is going nowhere fast. So much work to do to become competitive again. Made no sense to keep a player of his age at that price for the next 4 seasons. Given the cap situation of most teams, I think getting what they did for Karlsson was about as good as they could have hoped for.

Although Ullmark looks safe for now, it would be quite the thing if the Norris and Vezina winners were both traded during the summer after winning their awards.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
The Sharks get out from under that massive Karlsson contract. I guess that was the whole point for them.
Yeah but what's the purpose? That massive contract was a 100 point Norris trophy winner.

Like if you're rebuilding, get assets for a rebuild. If you need cap space to sign players to compete now, dump the overpriced for whatever you can get.

The Sharks are doing neither. Cap space doesn't do them any good today if they're not trying to compete. And they didn't acquire much at all for futures.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Yeah but what's the purpose? That massive contract was a 100 point Norris trophy winner.

Like if you're rebuilding, get assets for a rebuild. If you need cap space to sign players to compete now, dump the overpriced for whatever you can get.

The Sharks are doing neither. Cap space doesn't do them any good today if they're not trying to compete. And they didn't acquire much at all for futures.
The contract was believed to have been untradable, even at 50% retained.

The guy won the Norris and the stars aligned to move him and at least get something in return.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
The contract was believed to have been untradable, even at 50% retained.

The guy won the Norris and the stars aligned to move him and at least get something in return.
But why trade him? Doesn't make your team better today. Doesn't add assets to help your future.

Like how he was hurting the Sharks? If it's a rebuild, they're not wise to spend to the cap anyway.

And if I'm reading it right, the Sharks are actually take ON Cap this year (at least).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad