NHL Summer 2023 Preseason - Mike Babcock Resigns as HC of CBJ

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
I still hope he turns his life around and can get past the things he did as a teenager and grow as a person. Getting as far as possible away from North American media scrutiny is probably the best thing for that.
Everyone should root for others redeeming themselves. But what on earth gives you any indication whatsoever that he’s at all interested in anything other than playing hockey? His actions and his agent’s statements on his behalf have completely suggested not only doesn’t he think he did anything wrong, but that he’s being treated unfairly.

Last edited:

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Everyone should root for others redeeming themselves. But what on earth gives you any indication whatsoever that he’s at all interested in anything other than playing hockey? His actions and his agent’s statements in his behalf have completely suggested not only doesn’t he think he did anything wrong, but that he’s being treated unfairly.

That's why @McGarnagle said "I still hope" and not "he'll turn it around".

I too, hope the kid f***ing turns his life around and not be the absolute pathetic asshole he is. But unfortunately his family is the same way and see nothing wrong. People can change, only if they want to and actually put in the work to do so. He hasn't done anything to put the work in. Luckily for him, he's still young, so he's got a LOT up growing up and self reflection to do. I hope he ends up doing it.

You never know how these things will turn out. But good riddance to him.

Reactions: BMC

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

I'm sorry but that's just downright creepy.

And why on earth would any NHL team endorse that?

Incredibly creepy.

People laugh it off but sexual harassment of men is underreported and a serious issue affecting families. Imagine the reaction if the US Soccer Federation endorsed and promoted Tiktok fanfiction of Alex Morgan and invited them to the Women's World Cup, it'd be unthinkable. Whoever in Seattle thought this was a good idea is out of their mind.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
That's why @McGarnagle said "I still hope" and not "he'll turn it around".

I too, hope the kid f***ing turns his life around and not be the absolute pathetic asshole he is. But unfortunately his family is the same way and see nothing wrong. People can change, only if they want to and actually put in the work to do so. He hasn't done anything to put the work in. Luckily for him, he's still young, so he's got a LOT up growing up and self reflection to do. I hope he ends up doing it.

You never know how these things will turn out. But good riddance to him.
Just to put it clearly, what Miller did bullying a developmentally disabled kid and making him eat candy from a urinal was one of the sickest things I've read and goes far beyond the privileged athlete culture of boys will be boys.

That said, call me soft but I believe in redemption, provided he actually does move on and refrain from similar behavior. Lots of juvenile delinquents change their lives around. Not saying I'd ever want to be friends with the person or trust them around vulnerable people, but how does it serve him to bar him from his profession for life if he stays quiet and doesn't reoffend?

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Incredibly creepy.

People laugh it off but sexual harassment of men is underreported and a serious issue affecting families. Imagine the reaction if the US Soccer Federation endorsed and promoted Tiktok fanfiction of Alex Morgan and invited them to the Women's World Cup, it'd be unthinkable. Whoever in Seattle thought this was a good idea is out of their mind.
To be fair its not random tiktok fanfiction, it's writers writing their fanfiction and sharing it or the books they write on tiktok. Some of these stories have to do with hockey players. The Bruins tiktok person does it with our players but it never goes out of line. Its always funny and respectful and the players consent and have fun with it.

Unfortunately for the Kraken and Wennberg, that 1% of fans took it too far, as his wife was embracing the booktok love, until it went to far.

There needs to be a balance. Bruins social media does it the best, imo

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
If Looch is on the team during this series, I can pretty much guarantee this shit is stopped.

Which is why I am thrilled he's back.

Lucic isn't the same player he was a decade ago. Unfortunately, I think Tkachuk would've gladly accepted any attempt at a hit or fight because he knows Lucic can't skate with him and could've traded blow for blow.

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Lucic is still a physical presence and would handle Tkachuk. Not worried about it.
For sure Lucic would have pummeled Tkachuk in a fight. Tkachuk is actually a fairly crap fighter. Last season Tkachuk got in 3 fights, losing all 3 -- Batherson, Marchment, and Matheson. Hell, he wouldn't even fight that smurf Debrincat when challenged. Probably because he didn't want to get shamed by a guy who weighs 160 when wet. Dude only fights 2 or 3 times a year and rarely wins. Not even much of a hitter as of late either -- less than 1 hit per game last season.

Lucic would have 100 percent made a difference in the playoffs. It was ridiculous that Tkachuk, and to some extent Gudas, were able to look like complete beast-moding berserkers against the Bs. Vegas didn't put up with any of their crap and nipped it in the bud by hitting both of those guys hard and often. Lucic would have neutered both in the first round.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Lucic isn't the same player he was a decade ago. Unfortunately, I think Tkachuk would've gladly accepted any attempt at a hit or fight because he knows Lucic can't skate with him and could've traded blow for blow.
You think Tkachuk would have fought arguably the best fighter in the NHL over the past 5-6 years?

Lucic would legitimately flat line Tkachuk.

Reactions: TCB and Fenian24

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Reactions: KWbruin

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Sucks for Slovakia

One of my favorite long shot stories right from the start.

Only fitting that he took a couple days to retire like Carl and not like Bergeron.

Carl Soderberg was a really good, smooth, professional 3rd line center. Fit that role perfectly, but is overlooked because of the timing of when he was here I think. Also overcame a bad eye injury.

I've always wondered if Claude Julien wasn't so hesitant to insert him into the lineup in the Stanley Cup Finals whether we would've won that series.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Carl Soderberg was a really good, smooth, professional 3rd line center. Fit that role perfectly, but is overlooked because of the timing of when he was here I think. Also overcame a bad eye injury.

I've always wondered if Claude Julien wasn't so hesitant to insert him into the lineup in the Stanley Cup Finals whether we would've won that series.
Fun times back when Yeti finally made it over to Boston. Really liked his game. Was always amazed that a guy who was legally blind in one eye could have the kind of vision on the ice that he had. Was very good in the NHL, and of course was awesome in his years in Sweden.

Thought that the Avs overpaid him, but he had several solid seasons for them. Kind of threw me for a loop his final 2 season with the Avs when Soda became a bit of a physical menace and showed a mean streak on the ice. Seems crazy that he is 37 years old. Messes with me when players first come to the NHL in their mid to late 20s.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
You think Tkachuk would have fought arguably the best fighter in the NHL over the past 5-6 years?

Lucic would legitimately flat line Tkachuk.

Because you are romanticizing Lucic's level of play at this point in his career and think he's still the super power forward of the future from back in 2010-11. He's not that guy anymore. He's also a massive liability as a skater and a scorer, so it's highly likely he won't get matched up with someone like Tkachuk. Thus his signing becomes rather moot.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Because you are romanticizing Lucic's level of play at this point in his career and think he's still the super power forward of the future from back in 2010-11. He's not that guy anymore. He's also a massive liability as a skater and a scorer, so it's highly likely he won't get matched up with someone like Tkachuk. Thus his signing becomes rather moot.
You said Tkachuk would go toe to toe with him in a fight.

He wouldn’t. He’d get absolutely throttled.

Reactions: Mione134

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

I'm sorry but that's just downright creepy.

And why on earth would any NHL team endorse that?

From my perspective, that is 100% on whatever moron runs the Kraken social media operation.

”Ooooh, let’s use one of our players to try to connect and encourage on a bunch of people who live in a fantasy online world that assigns celebrities to roles in romance novels. Nothing could get out of hand there!”

Wennberg should punch the Kraken social media geek in the face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad