Speculation: Summer 2018 Roster Discussion Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think the fact that Wilson is still clearly in on Karlsson is a sign that Ottawa may be willing to deal him to San Jose and that Dorion/Melnyk aren’t as angry at Wilson as to seem to think they are.

What exactly says that DW is in on Karlsson? I haven’t seen anything suggest that at this point.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Year after year sharks fans get super depressed in the off-season for no reason. lol this team is going to be fine, as always. Nobody said getting in the tournament had to be pretty, you just got to get in, and the sharks get in just about every year.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
What exactly says that DW is in on Karlsson? I haven’t seen anything suggest that at this point.
Basically because Doug Wilson is in on everybody...I wouldn't be surprised if it's a running joke at this point whenever a rumor comes out people throw the sharks in there for no reason.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Sure, but that's not the point. The point is that there is no evidence that they (Dorion OR Melnyk) are angry or that they won't trade with the Sharks in the future. That, in my opinion, is a significant leap in logic. Plus, there is a difference between not wanting Hoffman in their division and not wanting to personally trade Hoffman to a division rival. You seem to be conflating these two very different situations.

It seems naive to me to think a team won’t be upset about a player they didn’t want in their division in their division. And the second part is a distinction without a difference.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
It seems naive to me to think a team won’t be upset about a player they didn’t want in their division in their division. And the second part is a distinction without a difference.
Any chance you Could both be right and we can be done with this particular topic and get back to the Sharks?

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
It’s not Dorion’s feelings you need to be worried about. He’s just doing what he’s told.

I didn’t say it was a fact but the ‘evidence’ presented is no more or less opinion as well.
I'm just saying we have no idea what he is or isn't being told or if he's being told anything at all.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Any chance this pissing contest ends anytime soon? It’s clear that no agreement will be reached and it’s detering other discussion and annoying as hell. Agree to disagree and move on.
If you don't like discussions why are you on a discussion board?

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Because it’s a circular argument that will go on until the end of time that really has next to nothing to do with the Sharks or their roster. If I wanted to read 8 pages of semantics about how to interpret if GM1 is mad at GM2 I’d do it. I’m here to discuss the Sharks roster.

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston

Look, I think that you are probably right. I think it's more likely than not that the Sens are peeved that Wilson did what he did. But it is not confirmed and it doesn't mean that we aren't getting Karlsson.

As for the second part, I think there is a difference. Why do some teams not trade within the division? Because it looks really bad to your fanbase if the guy you traded beats up on you 6 times a year. But if you're not the one who made the trade, there is a significant degree of separation and minimization of responsibility. I fully acknowledge that this is a bit of a stretch and perhaps a "weak" argument, but I think that it does matter.

JackSkellington

Pumpkin King
Feb 18, 2016
South Florida
Year after year sharks fans get super depressed in the off-season for no reason. lol this team is going to be fine, as always. Nobody said getting in the tournament had to be pretty, you just got to get in, and the sharks get in just about every year.
We all know were gonna get in, its what we do in the damn playoffs that have us sick and tired. This team as constructed now is a 2nd rd exit unless we have guys playing out their minds or DW makes a shocking trade for a difference maker out his ass. We know once we get in the playoffs and we have to play against the likes of Winnipeg or Nashville were f***ed, Im not worried about Vegas. We all want a shot at the cup and once again this team as it stands will not beat the teams that are cup favorites

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
Custance reporter it on his Twitter. And telling me not to question your rationale when you tell me I’m irrational about Ottawa is going to get a response like that.
Ok. Where did I call you out and question your rationale? If I did, I sincerely apologize.
Do you have access to Custance’s tweet because I didn’t see it nor was it mentioned in his article regarding the Hoffman trades.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Look, I think that you are probably right. I think it's more likely than not that the Sens are peeved that Wilson did what he did. But it is not confirmed and it doesn't mean that we aren't getting Karlsson.

As for the second part, I think there is a difference. Why do some teams not trade within the division? Because it looks really bad to your fanbase if the guy you traded beats up on you 6 times a year. But if you're not the one who made the trade, there is a significant degree of separation and minimization of responsibility. I fully acknowledge that this is a bit of a stretch and perhaps a "weak" argument, but I think that it does matter.

It still looks bad that Hoffman ended up there. Just look at the reaction of the Ottawa fan base at those trades. They immediately felt like San Jose got a better return than what they got from the Sharks. I think that it does matter to some people simply because they don't want to help their competition but it makes no difference if in the end the competition gets helped by the player you had anyway in this scenario.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
We all know were gonna get in, its what we do in the damn playoffs that have us sick and tired. This team as constructed now is a 2nd rd exit unless we have guys playing out their minds or DW makes a shocking trade for a difference maker out his ass. We know once we get in the playoffs and we have to play against the likes of Winnipeg or Nashville were ****ed, Im not worried about Vegas. We all want a shot at the cup and once again this team as it stands will not beat the teams that are cup favorites

When the Sharks missed the playoffs this place was worse than it is now. Be careful what you wish for.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
When the Sharks missed the playoffs this place was worse than it is now. Be careful what you wish for.
I’d rather miss the playoffs if it weren’t for the fact that Tim Burke would screw up the high draft pick. Timo is fine but it was a bad pick. I was at FTF at that time and everyone there agreed Barzal was the pick for a month leading up to the draft but knew Burke would go ultra safe and were just happy it wasn’t Lawson Crouse because it would’ve been a total Burke move to take him.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Because it’s a circular argument that will go on until the end of time that really has next to nothing to do with the Sharks or their roster. If I wanted to read 8 pages of semantics about how to interpret if GM1 is mad at GM2 I’d do it. I’m here to discuss the Sharks roster.
LOL is there anything on HF that has ever resulted in actually successfully changing the others mind?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Until there is a report or quote that Dorian and or Melnyk are angry at DW for the Hoffman flip, it’s pure speculation. You can’t think rationally when it comes to Ottawa. If the Sharks offer a solid package, are willing to take Ryan back, and Ryan and Karlsson want to come to SJ, there’s no reason to believe the Sens wouldn’t accept it.

Ok. Where did I call you out and question your rationale? If I did, I sincerely apologize.
Do you have access to Custance’s tweet because I didn’t see it nor was it mentioned in his article regarding the Hoffman trades.

I assume the first quote was directed at me. If not, then I apologize.

The score wrote this article regarding it and I remember seeing it elsewhere but I can't find it directly on his twitter.

Report: Senators were instructed not to trade Hoffman within the division

There's this tweet from another The Athletic writer saying his source told him it was instructed...

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
To play devil's advocate, this is the Sharks roster discussion thread, not the Ottowa GM/Owner discussion thread. Generally I would agree with your statement, but it seems that we are arguing over something that will never be proven one way or the other.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
To play devil's advocate, this is the Sharks roster discussion thread, not the Ottowa GM/Owner discussion thread. Generally I would agree with your statement, but it seems that we are arguing over something that will never be proven one way or the other.
Well, I mean, I agree with the whole not being able to prove anything, as that's what I was saying, but it is related to SJ because of the Hoffman trade as well as discussing a possible EK trade.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
Isn't the point of a discussion board to do exactly that, discus?

l31_RTR368XR.jpg

I tried that and hit my computer... thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad