Sudbury Wolves 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 4)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Saginaw - 10
North Bay - 10
Sault Ste. Marie - 9
London - 8 (maybe more if Bonk/Cowan/Dickinson aren't back)
Kitchener - 7

I say again, 13 is CRAZY turnover on a roster of 24.

Here is Saginaw's for reference:

3 OAs age out:
03 - Christopoulos
03 - Hache
03 - Bloom

7 of these 04s either move on or get traded:
04 - Castle
04 - Beck
04 - Sapovaliv
04 - Lalonde
04 - Oke
04 - Dionicio
04 - Haight
04 - Donovan
04 - Mangone
04 - Forgione
Where it might differ is the amount of (above replacement level) OAs the wolves and battalion could have a their disposal

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I assume in the numbers for Sudbury you counted Ryan Pryce(7th d-man, 8th once Jackson's Jr. A season finishes), Mauro(13th forward, likely 14th-15th once a few Jr. A seasons finish as well).
Let's count together:
07 - Chitaroni
06 - Villeneuve
06 - Walton
05 - Musty
05 - Krawchuk
05 - Coughlan
05 - Dvorsky (maybe?)
05 - Mania
05 - Pharand

Doesn't matter whether it's Mauro, Pryce or whoever. They are roster players today that will need to be replaced. 11-12 players is a lot of OHL level players to find in an off season. There is rebuilding, and then there is REBUILDING.

Where it might differ is the amount of (above replacement level) OAs the wolves and battalion could have a their disposal
Those will be great to replenish some picks, but rarely do they return roster players. Wolves will need roster players for training camp.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Let's count together:
07 - Chitaroni
06 - Villeneuve
06 - Walton
05 - Musty
05 - Krawchuk
05 - Coughlan
05 - Dvorsky (maybe?)
05 - Mania
05 - Pharand

Doesn't matter whether it's Mauro, Pryce or whoever. They are roster players today that will need to be replaced. 11-12 players is a lot of OHL level players to find in an off season. There is rebuilding, and then there is REBUILDING.

Those will be great to replenish some picks, but rarely do they return roster players. Wolves will need roster players for training camp.
Cool. You care more than any Wolves fans. Wolves fans want to focus on this year. If soo fans are already looking ahead to next year, I guess it speaks to the confidence in their roster.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Every time one of our goalies has a good game you guys post that from now on he’s proven he should be the go to guy based on a 1 game sample. It doesn’t make sense as a matter of fact if we look at our goaltending I feel like they play better not playing too much. We need to stop wanting a clear number 1 and hope that both Vondras and Vandy can be good when getting the start.
How long do you want to wait for Vondras to have a good game he seems to get worse every time he gets the net. If the game against Mississauga did not convince you then you are hoping for a miracle I believe.

• Haha
Reactions: jellybeans

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Cool. You care more than any Wolves fans. Wolves fans want to focus on this year. If soo fans are already looking ahead to next year, I guess it speaks to the confidence in their roster.
I guess I care more than one passive-aggressive wolves fan?

Reactions: dirty12

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Wolves proved last night they can play with any team if they get goal tending. Go with Vande build his confidence as this is our only chance. Just my opinion.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Just went back and checked previous two seasons to see turnover from aging out on teams that made conference finals.

LDN - 7
SAR - 11
NB - 9
PBO - 10

HAM - 9
WSR - 7
NB - 4
FLT - 5

Wolves graduating 12 (or maybe 13) players is a legit storyline for next year, whether you care or not.

Reactions: dirty12

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
Just went back and checked previous two seasons to see turnover from aging out on teams that made conference finals.

LDN - 7
SAR - 11
NB - 9
PBO - 10

HAM - 9
WSR - 7
NB - 4
FLT - 5

Wolves graduating 12 (or maybe 13) players is a legit storyline for next year, whether you care or not.
Can you send the list of the 13 players?

3 of those will be back as OA players. Villy and Walton are huge 17-year-old contributors to this roster. Musty can be back.

Seems like a very similar situation to Saginaw. 13 with 3 players coming back as OA

I don't think this is as big of a story as your making it out to be. Certainly not relevant until the offseason.

Reactions: AKADonovan

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Certainly not relevant until the offseason.
Well, nothing can be done about it until then. Agreed.

3 of those will be back as OA players. Villy and Walton are huge 17-year-old contributors to this roster. Musty can be back.

Seems like a very similar situation to Saginaw. 13 with 3 players coming back as OA

I don't think this is as big of a story as your making it out to be.
Not accurate. It's 12 (or 13) players not including the 3 that are back.

Can you send the list of the 13 players?
Sure

3 OAs age out:
03 - Anania
03 - Giroux
03 - McCallum

9 of these 12 will not be back or need to be moved:
04 - Pryce
04 - Van Vliet
04 - Konyen
04 - Delic
04 - Goyette
04 - Vandenberg
04 - Collins
04 - Vondras
04 - DeAngelis
04 - Maura
04 - Yearwood
04 - McCoy

May be one and done?
05 - Dvorsky

Regardless of the perceived quality of some of these players, their spot on the roster will need to be replaced by an OHL level player. Turning over 12 or 13 spots on the roster because of aging out is more than I have heard of in my time following the OHL. Maybe someone can point me towards another team in the past with similar turnover?

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
Well, nothing can be done about it until then. Agreed.

Not accurate. It's 12 (or 13) players not including the 3 that are back.

Sure

3 OAs age out:
03 - Anania
03 - Giroux
03 - McCallum

9 of these 12 will not be back or need to be moved:
04 - Pryce
04 - Van Vliet
04 - Konyen
04 - Delic
04 - Goyette
04 - Vandenberg
04 - Collins
04 - Vondras
04 - DeAngelis
04 - Maura
04 - Yearwood
04 - McCoy

May be one and done?
05 - Dvorsky

Regardless of the perceived quality of some of these players, their spot on the roster will need to be replaced by an OHL level player. Turning over 12 or 13 spots on the roster because of aging out is more than I have heard of in my time following the OHL. Maybe someone can point me towards another team in the past with similar turnover?
Thank you.

You did miss Jackson in the returning list. He's only dressed a handful of games but you did count Chitaroni so would be a similar situation.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
You did miss Jackson in the returning list. He's only dressed a handful of games but you did count Chitaroni so would be a similar situation.
I did not miss Jackson as he is not on the roster. I counted a roster spot for Chitaroni because he is currently on the roster, but feel free to swap his roster spot out for which ever affiliate you like.

Some of your affiliates (all?) will be on the roster next year. Even with them all, plus hitting on an import pick, plus rostering 4x 08's, you will need to find a few more OHLers. Somewhere. Hopefully some of the mid- to late- round picks from 2023 turn into OHLers.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Very happy with how Vandy played. Certainly can't fault him, actually give him credit for the single point. Some grit from the team, down 3-0 and a few players out. I will take it.
Good for him but like all our goalies I was scared every time they shot the puck. If you watched closely he’s frequently out of position after he makes a save and overplays the puck which is my main concern with him. Let’s see how many back to back saves he can make (didn’t have to make any last night) because a goalie has to be able to do that, this isn’t the 70’s or 80’s. He also looks small in the net, crouches and goes down on every shot, often early.
Lets face it, the Soo missed so many good chances it wasn’t even funny and had they converted on even a third it wouldn’t even have been a hockey game. Yes, credit the Wolves who were obviously digging deep because you could see the team wasn’t in top shape, but there were so many turnovers it was ridiculous and how about the brutal line changes during the overtime? Add to that a lack of discipline (for example Musty’s penalty in particular at a crucial time) that they’re lucky didn’t cost them the game.

I know this might seem negative but I’m sorry, saying that Vandenberg has earned the crease after this game is a big stretch for me. At this point I’m not at all confident in any of our goaltenders. Good on the Wolves for earning the point, they definitely showed character but in the future let’s just award the opposing team the extra point during a shootout. I would’ve bet money on that.

I certainly hope Villeneuve is back for Friday and the flu bug is a little better and I hope McKenzie tells the kids to do nothing today but rest.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Every time one of our goalies has a good game you guys post that from now on he’s proven he should be the go to guy based on a 1 game sample. It doesn’t make sense as a matter of fact if we look at our goaltending I feel like they play better not playing too much. We need to stop wanting a clear number 1 and hope that both Vondras and Vandy can be good when getting the start.
Agree. I still think with Vondras‘ pedigree and maybe some sports psychology he should be our guy. He is big and NHL drafted. We just need to figure out what’s wrong with him mentally. God love the kid but if you guys are counting on Vandenberg I think you’re in for a big disappointment.

We have 3 of the top 6 ppg players
I don’t remember the Wolves having such high profile guys at once. Villy seems inspired to play with Goyette and Delic we are seeing his best offensive moments ever. The lines look really good 15 games from playoffs.

My only question mark is Walton. It feels like he’s lost his momentum completely since the prospects game. We definitely need more from him. He has to find his confidence back soon.
Absolutely and I would add Pharand and even Giroux to that list.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
What's more incredible is just how little youth there is. Your roster will have 12 players age out next year (and maybe a 13th gone if Dvorsky is one-and-done).

For comparison, Petes had 10 after last season and Sarnia had 11. 13 is CRAZY.
Right Pops, what are we thinking. Its common knowledge that a team that is going for it should be loaded with 16 and 17 year old players.

Nothing crazy about that when you expect to win a Championship.
Duh…Gee Rocky…

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Like, I said, ultimately, who cares. You definitely seem to care about this a lot more then any Wolves fans do.

If you win great, if you don't, you were rebuilding anyways.

I assume in the numbers for Sudbury you counted Ryan Pryce(7th d-man, 8th once Jackson's Jr. A season finishes), Mauro(13th forward, likely 14th-15th once a few Jr. A seasons finish as well). Both these guys are well below the caliber of any of the guys you listed for Saginaw.
The guy is obviously really busy and has little time to spare.

Reactions: djscooter

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
How long do you want to wait for Vondras to have a good game he seems to get worse every time he gets the net. If the game against Mississauga did not convince you then you are hoping for a miracle I believe.
Right I think we forgot how great Vandenberg has been In comparison.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
You are posting this on a hockey forum. Pot calling kettle?
Right I’m listing every player on the roster both present and future as well as comparing it with all the other teams. Yeah right pops. I’m in the same boat as you.
i’m not sure why you insist on posting on our board I don’t think you’re particularly welcome.

Reactions: I Loveallsports
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad