Sudbury Wolves 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 4)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
When you constantly give up unchallenged shots in the low slot it doesn’t matter who is in net.
You wanna win road and playoff games you must ALWAYS have a high forward in OZONE and you need back pressure all the way back into DZone and collapse to protect the house (slot). Who cares what teams do on the perimeter. We are not always going to outscore our deficiencies.
How about unchallenged shots, what about shots off your trapper into the net

wolfmeister

May 12, 2015
A couple people blame defense, our defense is better now than beginning of season, I've been hoping and praying the goalie steals a game, it hasn't happened, even hoping we win a 2-1 or 3-2 game. it hasn't happened, someone mentioned he needed a sport psychologist, I'm starting to believe it, he has all the tools, just doesn't have it upstairs, every game is nerve wracking and we have such a good team, including defense, sigh, we won but it didn't really feel good.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
A couple people blame defense, our defense is better now than beginning of season, I've been hoping and praying the goalie steals a game, it hasn't happened, even hoping we win a 2-1 or 3-2 game. it hasn't happened, someone mentioned he needed a sport psychologist, I'm starting to believe it, he has all the tools, just doesn't have it upstairs, every game is nerve wracking and we have such a good team, including defense, sigh, we won but it didn't really feel good.
The defense could reasonably be blamed more than the goalie yesterday imo.
The defense corps should be very good, probably top 5 in the league. The wolves just do not play good team defence. It seems like a secondary concern to scoring 7 goals per game.

Reactions: Muskyslayer

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Vandenberg is a better goalie of the two. How much better is debatable. Vandenberg battles and kills plays, and can play the puck. Vondras gives up numberous rebounds, and most importantly hope the puck hits him, rather than he stopping the puck using intuition. When the dust settles Vanderberg will get the starts in the playoffs.

The defense corps should be very good, probably top 5 in the league. The wolves just do not play good team defence. It seems like a secondary concern to scoring 7 goals per game.
I find the play good team D when they feel like it( engaged). Not consistent now but when the bright lights go on they'll be ready to go.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Vandenberg is a better goalie of the two. How much better is debatable. Vandenberg battles and kills plays, and can play the puck. Vondras gives up numberous rebounds, and most importantly hope the puck hits him, rather than he stopping the puck using intuition. When the dust settles Vanderberg will get the starts in the playoffs.

I find the play good team D when they feel like it( engaged). Not consistent now but when the bright lights go on they'll be ready to go.
That does not seem likely to me.
But the wolves are closing in, and could pass the hounds for 3rd best record after this weeks games; so things are not really broken.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
How about unchallenged shots, what about shots off your trapper into the net
I think we can all agree that goaltending needs to be better, some defenders need to be better and as well some forwards need to cover their men in the defensive zone. But did you ever think how bad the defence and goaltending was for Mississauga or the Soo on Wednesday? Junior hockey defence and goaltending is tough to be mistake free. Not too many teams hone a solid d core. The league has no Mark Steal or Ukko's!!! Every team has diffiencies. Read the Soo board they are not too happy either.

But yes Vondras didn't have a great game. He did vs the Soo though in relief.

WJ

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think we can all agree that goaltending needs to be better, some defenders need to be better and as well some forwards need to cover their men in the defensive zone. But did you ever think how bad the defence and goaltending was for Mississauga or the Soo on Wednesday? Junior hockey defence and goaltending is tough to be mistake free. Not too many teams hone a solid d core. The league has no Mark Steal or Ukko's!!! Every team has diffiencies. Read the Soo board they are not too happy either.

But yes Vondras didn't have a great game. He did vs the Soo though in relief.

WJ
There is a Sam Dickinson, but D that good are pretty rare.
The wolves can suck teams into trading chances. I’d like to see the SV% of the wolves opposing goalies vs the SV% of the wolves goalies.

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
The defense could reasonably be blamed more than the goalie yesterday imo.
Agreed. Team defence is key. To have it forwards must backcheck deep into their zone and pick up weak side threat and stop puck watching. Collapse and protect the slot/house. You can’t backcheck effectively with straight legs so gotta keep the shifts short. That’s all. Easy stuff, just be disciplined and make your own zone a priority. We as fans know you can score goals, show us that you can prevent them. For those about to make the jump to pro hockey, you won’t make it if you can’t play D in your own zone. Just saying…

Wiserbud

Mar 29, 2014
There is a Sam Dickinson, but D that good are pretty rare.
The wolves can suck teams into trading chances. I’d like to see the SV% of the wolves opposing goalies vs the SV% of the wolves goalies.
I guess one simple approach to this is to look at GF and GA. We are riding a +47 in 50 games. Suggesting roughly we have a better GAA by 47/50 or almost one goal per game. Of course does not factor all elements, like empty net goals etc., but I will take it. 🙂

Wiserbud

Mar 29, 2014
I guess one simple approach to this is to look at GF and GA. We are riding a +47 in 50 games. Suggesting roughly we have a better GAA by 47/50 or almost one goal per game. Of course does not factor all elements, like empty net goals etc., but I will take it. 🙂
Interestingly, Krawchuk's GAA is our best at 3.22, and Vondras 3.63 and Vandy further down at 4.01. Hmmm.

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North
It is a simple approach for sure but is that sustainable should we move on to Mem Cup?

Wiserbud

Mar 29, 2014
Nope. Sure that stat doesn't fly if we just look at the top 3 or 4 from each conference vs us.

wolfmeister

May 12, 2015
I agree with you about the team defense, they definitely should be better, Vondras has played a few good games, but when did he ever play lights out and win a game for us, we both know 7+ goals every game aint going to happen for Sudbury or London or any other team in the playoffs, yes defensive play is important but so is goaltending, really really hoping he's like Sebastian Dahl and is a beast in playoffs.

Reactions: BostonOz

WolvesFanInNorthBay

Feb 9, 2019
North Bay
Vandenberg with the start tonight. Krawchuk is backing up.
Hudson Chitaroni is in, as is Ryan Pryce and Devin Mauro.
Musty, Dvorsky and Giroux starting forwards.
VanVliet and Anania on D.

Coughlan out
Konyen out
McCoy out
Vondras out

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad