Sudbury Wolves 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 4)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
We can play with any team goal line to goal line and I am afraid that is it at this point

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
“I don’t think we started off real slow, but their speed was different for us,” Sudbury head coach Ken MacKenzie said.

If Ken does not think that was a slow start I don't know what to say at this point...
The guy doesn't have a clue.

I hate to be negative in any way when the team is 3 points clear atop the east, but you really have to wonder how many points this uber talented team has left on the table due to having a coach who is stuck in the 90s and doesn't have the best of grasps on the modern game.

I feel like we'd be a few points off London for top of the league, at worst...with just a middle of the pack coach.

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North
The guy doesn't have a clue.

I hate to be negative in any way when the team is 3 points clear atop the east, but you really have to wonder how many points this uber talented team has left on the table due to having a coach who is stuck in the 90s and doesn't have the best of grasps on the modern game.

I feel like we'd be a few points off London for top of the league, at worst...with just a middle of the pack coach.
Agree. Also, imagine if our defense was not so porous this year. With our scoring, we'd be really difficult to beat on any night.

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
Playing good defensive hockey in your own zone isn’t the responsibility of two players assigned to that position. All 5 players gotta partake, play below the puck and stop puck watching from the weak side.
I believe the team’s coaches are aware the DZone needs to drastically improve (Coach Ken mentioned that when he was praising Goyette recently). They have just less than 20 games to figure it out. They will go as far as their DPlay will carry them.
IMO

Reactions: Muskyslayer

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Playing good defensive hockey in your own zone isn’t the responsibility of two players assigned to that position. All 5 players gotta partake, play below the puck and stop puck watching from the weak side.
I believe the team’s coaches are aware the DZone needs to drastically improve (Coach Ken mentioned that when he was praising Goyette recently). They have just less than 20 games to figure it out. They will go as far as their DPlay will carry them.
IMO
Let’s not forget the goalie.

Reactions: Wolf on a Wire

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
Niagara gets beat 12-1 last night in NB. We are winning 2-0 already in first 6mins. I’m hoping our players don’t think it’s “point night” and play too fancy and forget about our commitment to DZone…
Let’s see how this plays out. I’d like to see us work on our good habits.

WolvesFanInNorthBay

Feb 9, 2019
North Bay
Shots 16-3 - one of the best starts this year for the Wolves except for that 6-0 start. Been watching on and off so not sure if it's defense limiting shots, offense carrying the play, or just the lack of skill on the Niagara team. Either way, can only hope it continues and the coaches use this game as a great opportunity to tighten up and work on some of the weaker points of their game.

howlman

Mar 9, 2004

He was so good. Awesome read

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
Overall, very happy with the game/win last night. The team showed Uber talent and structure and the PP the last 2 games has been red hot with two strong units. The so called 4th line was jumping. I felt at times our forwards over passed the puck, but perhaps it was “good sportsmanship” I was witnessing as they didn’t run up the score.
Love the balance on this team now. Lines are perfect. Also seeing more improved D play. When I see Musty get on his horse and back check hard deep into our zone to pick up the weak side threat, that’s a massive improvement.
To conclude, credit the coaches for figuring it out and I’m feeling more positive when I hear they want to keep working on limiting scoring chances.
Trending up!

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Overall, very happy with the game/win last night. The team showed Uber talent and structure and the PP the last 2 games has been red hot with two strong units. The so called 4th line was jumping. I felt at times our forwards over passed the puck, but perhaps it was “good sportsmanship” I was witnessing as they didn’t run up the score.
Love the balance on this team now. Lines are perfect. Also seeing more improved D play. When I see Musty get on his horse and back check hard deep into our zone to pick up the weak side threat, that’s a massive improvement.
To conclude, credit the coaches for figuring it out and I’m feeling more positive when I hear they want to keep working on limiting scoring chances.
Trending up!
However a couple of concerns is a few players like to cycle the puck up on the blueline. Not sure why so many do this. Not a good practice to get into as it costs us from time to time. Also development wise at the next level teams will feed them their lunch if they pulled that.

Yes coaches figured some lines and power play units. However KMacs bench management has been horrendous and during his interview he mentioned not having to overplay his top players last night. Honestly!!! Should never overplay. Roll the lines short shifts until you need to in late stages of the game. Last night the major penalty taken by Niagara the first unit was pulled off the ice however on tv you could see the players telling the coach they wanted to stay out and were fine after having a long shift. Thankfully he started the major penalty with the second unit and they scored.

But yes some improvements! Test will start Sunday to the end of next weekend. Missy, Soo, Sag, Kitchener and Guelph up! One home game out of that bunch.

WJ

gordie9

Jan 27, 2024
Last night’s game should have been a positive team building experience while still winning the game. But as many posters have stated common sense and smarts are just not there. Paps and Ken missed the boat again. They have no clue how to coach and interact with 16-20 year olds. Or maybe they just don’t care about kids. As for Vandenburg, his GAA is now north of 4 goals per game.

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North
After the game I feel that Pryce fits into the overall game plan better than Mania. He plays a stay-at-home style and rarely gives the puck up. He's more physical and responsible, which is what we need. Thoughts?

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
After the game I feel that Pryce fits into the overall game plan better than Mania. He plays a stay-at-home style and rarely gives the puck up. He's more physical and responsible, which is what we need. Thoughts?
I did think about that and it’s really not a bad idea. Depending on the match ups. I think in the next week now that Anania is back I like the idea of rotating him in for Mania.

WJ

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Last night’s game should have been a positive team building experience while still winning the game. But as many posters have stated common sense and smarts are just not there. Paps and Ken missed the boat again. They have no clue how to coach and interact with 16-20 year olds. Or maybe they just don’t care about kids. As for Vandenburg, his GAA is now north of 4 goals per game.
Another Newbie bashing organization and goaltender, the last guy scrammed quickly after being caught in lies.

jamo27

Mar 24, 2007
Hmmm… why isn’t the game on tv? I have ohl pack with my cable and all the other ohl games are on…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad