Sudbury Wolves 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 4)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I agree. It was a clean hit. Sometimes some of the fans always see us as the victims “player left his feet and targeted the head”… that didn’t happen. My gripe with what ensued afterwards was DeAngelis (who was right beside the hit) just looked at Sobolev and did nothing about it. The 2nd leading point getter in the league had to skate from the other side of the ice to drop the gloves…. Thus resulting in 17 minutes in penalties. Only 1 of the remaining 4 players got upset with that hit and went after Sobolev. It was a clean hit but like it or not, hockey culture says you go after the guy… does this speak to team unity issues or am I reading too much into it?
Soblev and DeAngelis billeted together in Windsor. That would be a tough ask for Nick to go after Daniel.

• Haha
Reactions: 190 is almost 206

WeThe North

Jun 7, 2021
I agree. It was a clean hit. Sometimes some of the fans always see us as the victims “player left his feet and targeted the head”… that didn’t happen. My gripe with what ensued afterwards was DeAngelis (who was right beside the hit) just looked at Sobolev and did nothing about it. The 2nd leading point getter in the league had to skate from the other side of the ice to drop the gloves…. Thus resulting in 17 minutes in penalties. Only 1 of the remaining 4 players got upset with that hit and went after Sobolev. It was a clean hit but like it or not, hockey culture says you go after the guy… does this speak to team unity issues or am I reading too much into it?
A lot of guys like to talk the talk but not a lot of them can walk the walk. I loved it.

BostonOz

Sep 22, 2013
Soblev and DeAngelis billeted together in Windsor. That would be a tough ask for Nick to go after Daniel.
Hahah yup that definitly makes it a tougher ask for sure. That being said, it still should have happened. Even if it was a half hearted fight with just a few punches, gotta stick up for your team even if the opponent is a friend imo. On the flip side it is hard to be overly critical of his decision when he had a split second to decide.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
What’s the point of loading up selling assets to add depth if it all depends on the play of two players anyway? Everyone has to be a piece of the puzzle and have roles. The stars need to be the stars but stars are useless when their legs are burning on a backcheck the tail end of a 2 minute shift.

The wolves added one forward to lengthen the forward group. The big additions were on defence.
Very few if any teams actually roll four lines with TOI nearly equal. Very few teams have a duo to match Dvorsky & Musty.
Goyette (PP), along with Delic, Villeneuve, MacCallum, Giroux for PK are the clear cut-off between top 7 and bottom 5. They should get 14-20 minutes depending on the game. Whomever warrants it among Konyen, Pharrand, Walton, Coughlin, and Yearwood can play 6-14 minutes.

Last edited:

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
after a great start to this game, an embarrassment after this. Turn to a shit show, team easily baited into start playing Brantford game. Numerous penalties, giving up 3 PP and SH, made it a easy night for Brantford. I've been holding out on criticizing the coaching staff, not instilling discipline, game management, and structure falls on the coaching staff. Wasn't happy what I saw tonight. Vondras started off very well, then lets in a few stinkers, be nice to get some consistency out of him in a course of a game. Frustrating game to watch, and announcers made even worse. lol.
Good post cubv2 see, you can be very informative when you want to:nod:

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
The wolves added one forward to lengthen the forward group. The big additions were on defence.
Very few if any teams actually roll four lines with TOI nearly equal. Very few teams have a duo to match Dvorsky & Musty.
Goyette (PP), along with Delic, Villeneuve, MacCallum, Giroux for PK are the clear cut-off between top 7 and bottom 5. They should get 14-20 minutes depending on the game. Whomever warrants it among Konyen, Pharrand, Walton, Coughlin, and Yearwood can play 6-14 minutes.

We're not on the same page. Ice time and shift length are two different things.

It's not ice time. You can roll lines however you want 1, 2, 3, 1, 4, 2, 3, 1. Send them out every 2nd shift I don't care. Bust your ass off for 30-45 and get the F off the ice. Get ready for your next shift. These 1:15 - 2 minute shifts aren't acceptable in my opinion. But whatever. You like to eat your cake differently than I like mine.

Doesn't change my general point about loading up. Why trade for guys and sell to improve the roster offense or defence, if you will only go as far as Musty and Dvorsky take you? They are the stars of the team, not disputing that. But it takes the whole group to win.

Pointless to improve the bottom part of your roster according to your comment earlier.

jamo27

Mar 24, 2007

It's not ice time. You can roll lines however you want 1, 2, 3, 1, 4, 2, 3, 1. Send them out every 2nd shift I don't care. Bust your ass off for 30-45 and get the F off the ice. Get ready for your next shift. These 1:15 - 2 minute shifts aren't acceptable in my opinion. But whatever. You like to eat your cake differently than I like mine.

Doesn't change my general point about loading up. Why trade for guys and sell to improve the roster offense or defence, if you will only go as far as Musty and Dvorsky take you? They are the stars of the team, not disputing that. But it takes the whole group to win.

Pointless to improve the bottom part of your roster according to your comment earlier.
All excellent points. The issue imho is that riding the stars on the team is the only trick the coaching staff has. The proof is in the pudding. The special teams are performing nowhere near the talent level, long shifts continue, and there really doesn’t seem to be any discernible defensive system in place.

Simply, this team does not have ohl level coaching and because of that they will likely be passed by the likes of North Bay and Oshawa ending up as a four seed and will be bounced early in the playoffs ruining what could have been a special season with the talent that had been assembled.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

The wolves did not trade for players to improve the bottom six forwards. That can be improved if Pharrand and Walton decide they want to be the big bodied energy players that make the wolves difficult to play against. If they can do that consistently, they will carve out a larger time share for themselves.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
You go after the guy GUN’S BLAZING! I don’t give a rats ass if it was clean or not. It was taking an extreme liberty with one of our most important players. Some of you younger people might not get it. Old school, would’ve likely been next to a brawl back in the old days. The good old days let me add. Call this type of thinking prehistoric if you like, but there will always be an element of intimidation in hockey.

Do you think maybe if Sobolev knew we had a guy on the team that could kick his ass all the way out of the arena or at least give him a good run and make sure he knew he was in a fight. Do you think knowing this he would’ve did that without maybe thinking just about it? I also believe in the old school of flattening, one of their stars afterward. You don’t think there were messages being sent? Trust me Jay McKee remembers when the game was played that way.
As far as this BS about not being able to do anything because you roomed with the guy? Are you kidding me makes no difference on the ice. Soft, soft as ice cream. There’s a little he-man rant for you….. oh, I forgot we can’t really call hockey a man’s sport anymore.

Wiserbud

Mar 29, 2014
Rolling four lines will also pay dividends. Already seeing stronger play from them. But gotta agree with the earlier comment, shorten the shifts! The top line can still get the SAME ice time, but make sure its from rolling line 1 more often, and not these long shifts.

Missed the first period of Bulldogs, but from what I saw we were run out of the building.

Another point re Sobolev's hit (I did think he left his feet) we were already down a vet D from a suspension, so maybe that factored in too, just wish someone else had the ba**s to step up rather than Goyette.

Force and intimidation of the top line will be front and centre here on out. North Bay was going after Dvorsky, and now we all know Musty will lose his cool too. Get over it boys, preliminary playoff games are here.

Reactions: yalbmert25

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
Rolling four lines will also pay dividends. Already seeing stronger play from them. But gotta agree with the earlier comment, shorten the shifts! The top line can still get the SAME ice time, but make sure its from rolling line 1 more often, and not these long shifts.

Missed the first period of Bulldogs, but from what I saw we were run out of the building.

Another point re Sobolev's hit (I did think he left his feet) we were already down a vet D from a suspension, so maybe that factored in too, just wish someone else had the ba**s to step up rather than Goyette.

Force and intimidation of the top line will be front and centre here on out. North Bay was going after Dvorsky, and now we all know Musty will lose his cool too. Get over it boys, preliminary playoff games are here.

If McCallum is on the ice does this happen? I know he's not a tough guy, but I don't think he would have hesitated to get to Sobolev. All three skill guys on one line is good and bad

Reactions: WE ARE WOLVES

Wiserbud

Mar 29, 2014
If McCallum is on the ice does this happen? I know he's not a tough guy, but I don't think he would have hesitated to get to Sobolev. All three skill guys on one line is good and bad
I would also split the top three, with Goyette on another line. Konyen on the top line, not sure? May need someone 'tougher' than Konyen on that line moving forward....

Reactions: WE ARE WOLVES

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
Unless there’s bonuses for being top scorer in the league then start playing a team game geared for the playoffs. Now, before it’s too late.
Players like Villy, Konyen, McCallum and Giroux need to have bigger roles for team success.
We also need to rework the PP and set up down low and not inside the blue line (we know that is working with 13 SH G against).
Talent is here time is running out to put it together…
GWolvesG

AKADonovan

Apr 30, 2014
Sudbury
I would also split the top three, with Goyette on another line. Konyen on the top line, not sure? May need someone 'tougher' than Konyen on that line moving forward....
I like

Musty, Dvorsky, Konyen
Goyette, Delic, Giroux
Villy, McCallum, Walton
Coughlan, Pharand, Yearwood

Konyen may not be the biggest guy, but he takes a beating in the corners and keeps going back for more!

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Pryce in, man we really need Jackson to finish his season... Goyette to the third line, Pharand to the second per the scoresheet.

Over/under 11 shifts before we go back to the same old lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad