Sudbury Wolves 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 4)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
We have to score 6 or more if we stand a chance of winning games at this stage. Team is simply not built for a long playoff run. This is becoming evident game in and game out. Love this team but have accepted the fact sorry to say.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Refs lost control of this game long time ago with dumb ass penalty calls.

As for the Wolves we have limited toughness and it was a concern at the deadline. Walton where are you tonight?? Playing like Pharand did after coming back from the prospects game.

WJ
I'd be very surprised if Walton is a higher pick than villy come this spring. Imo it's not even close. Walton hasn't been a factor for awhile now.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

cub

Apr 11, 2012
We have to score 6 or more if we stand a chance of winning games at this stage. Team is simply not built for a long playoff run. This is becoming evident game in and game out. Love this team but have accepted the fact sorry to say.
is this fact or fiction?, I can't tell with you.

Wisdom

Jun 28, 2014
im not watching the game but the ohl website shows Goyette got 2 minutes instigator,5 minute fighting( instigated upon) and a game misconduct fighting but no other penalty to brantford...was Goyette looking in a mirror?

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Vondras gets beat clean so often for an NHL drafted goalie.
The last goal was just simply bad positioning in his crease. Almost like he has been coached by Valiquette.

Wolves need more from Giroux, McCallum, Delic, Walton on a consistent basis. Without these guys factoring in on games the depth is not there.

As I said before the drop of the puck. Having all the big guns on the same line played into the shut down line for Brantford. Why the heck would our coaches make it easier for Brantford to defend.

We had Goyette on the second line vs North Bay for two games we won both and yet the next two games he moves up the line and they were not good last night in Niagara. And with a bigger and more experienced Bulldogs it was evident we were not going to get much of an effort when the one line is simply shut down. Bulldogs had free rent tonight into the Wolves head. Wolves were frustrated by the physicality of the Bulldogs. We are just not big enough up front.

And as for our coaches nobody needs to live rent free in their heads. It's just too easy to out coach them.

By the end of the weekend the Wolves may find themselves 4th in the East with only a 2 point lead on Missy who is in the 5th spot at them moment. Go figure!!!

WJ

Last edited:

cub

Apr 11, 2012
after a great start to this game, an embarrassment after this. Turn to a shit show, team easily baited into start playing Brantford game. Numerous penalties, giving up 3 PP and SH, made it a easy night for Brantford. I've been holding out on criticizing the coaching staff, not instilling discipline, game management, and structure falls on the coaching staff. Wasn't happy what I saw tonight. Vondras started off very well, then lets in a few stinkers, be nice to get some consistency out of him in a course of a game. Frustrating game to watch, and announcers made even worse. lol.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
So if you really need a headache, I suggest you watch this hockey game. Things were just going so well for the Wolves early on they figured hey why not screw up a perfectly good start to a road game and do our best to shove our collective heads and feet up our asses and screw ourselves with stupid penalties reminiscent of last year.
This team cannot compose themselves in physical games and the idiots behind the bench can’t do anything about it.
He was far from the only one but unbelievable that McCallum did not get benched after that completely selfish penalty.

Not that it decided the outcome but of course their goaltending again was better than ours but might as well get used to it because that’ll be just about every game.
If it is not clear by now that this team needs to learn how to play defence and not be more vulnerable than dangerous on the power-play, it never will be as it is so embarrassing how many shorthanded opportunities and goals they give up.
As it stands playing like this they are going absolutely nowhere.
On a final note, it was all I could do to keep from getting in my car and going down to Branford to shut that guy up, he’s the most annoying little weasel Ive ever heard. One thing that was clear to me is that we are a better team than Brantford. That is of course without our heads up our ass.

Oh, ya by the way, it looks like Giroux was in the witness protection program this road trip. He was a lot more effective against us thus far. Oh, the joys of being a Wolves fan and here I am trying to cut down on drinking.

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Unfortunately it all comes down to hot goal tending in close games, hopefully we get that if not we have to score 6 goals or more to stand a chance. May be next to impossible if we face North Bay at some point in the playoffs.
This might be the most important fact on the entire thread.

A shorthanded goal from Villeneuve on the first shot of the game. I wonder if the bulldogs thread is in shambles after allowing the first goal on the first shot like our thread.
Likely not.

Goyette and Delic not together then expect no flow to this game. Out top line will be shut down with the majority of the ice time and the other lines will be limited to spot duty. Expecting a worse effort than last night. Hope I’m wrong but the coaching decisions put me in a foul mood already.

WJ
Little did you know how much worse it would get.

• Haha
Reactions: Wolfman Jack

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
I completely agree with Goyette on the wing with Delic on line 2. But stop complaining about the TOI of Musty. The wolves will go as far as Musty and Dvorsky carry them.
What’s the point of loading up selling assets to add depth if it all depends on the play of two players anyway? Everyone has to be a piece of the puzzle and have roles. The stars need to be the stars but stars are useless when their legs are burning on a backcheck the tail end of a 2 minute shift.

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
im not watching the game but the ohl website shows Goyette got 2 minutes instigator,5 minute fighting( instigated upon) and a game misconduct fighting but no other penalty to brantford...was Goyette looking in a mirror?
Musty got crushed. Clean hit but musty was down. Goyette went after the guy and ended up fighting with another Bulldogs player. So Goyette got the instigator.

WeThe North

Jun 7, 2021
Musty got crushed. Clean hit but musty was down. Goyette went after the guy and ended up fighting with another Bulldogs player. So Goyette got the instigator.
He fought with Sobolev. The same guy who hit Musty.

Last edited:

BostonOz

Sep 22, 2013
I agree. It was a clean hit. Sometimes some of the fans always see us as the victims “player left his feet and targeted the head”… that didn’t happen. My gripe with what ensued afterwards was DeAngelis (who was right beside the hit) just looked at Sobolev and did nothing about it. The 2nd leading point getter in the league had to skate from the other side of the ice to drop the gloves…. Thus resulting in 17 minutes in penalties. Only 1 of the remaining 4 players got upset with that hit and went after Sobolev. It was a clean hit but like it or not, hockey culture says you go after the guy… does this speak to team unity issues or am I reading too much into it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad