Sudbury Wolves 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
That'a boy Vandy. Some in particular can stop whining and crying for one night at least
I’m as happy for him as anyone but let’s not award the Vezina just yet.
That'a boy Vandy. Some in particular can stop whining and crying for one night at least
I’m as happy for him as anyone but he played as should be expected and should be consistently expected, especially after giving up two thirds. He did not steal the game either. The Soo missed a ton of chances and the Wolves blocked a ton of shots. Let’s not award the Vezina just yet because he played one good game.
i’m not sure how many other games you guys watch but it’s not uncommon at all for goaltenders in this league to have consistently excellent games. Can talk about adding this guy and trading this guy but as I’ve said before, if we don’t get consistently outstanding goaltending, none of it will matter. I expect it.

Reactions: djscooter

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
I’m as happy for him as anyone but let’s not award the Vezina just yet.

I’m as happy for him as anyone but he played as should be expected and should be consistently expected, especially after giving up two thirds. He did not steal the game either. The Soo missed a ton of chances and the Wolves blocked a ton of shots. Let’s not award the Vezina just yet because he played one good game.
i’m not sure how many other games you guys watch but it’s not uncommon at all for goaltenders in this league to have consistently excellent games. Can talk about adding this guy and trading this guy but as I’ve said before, if we don’t get consistently outstanding goaltending, none of it will matter. I expect it.
Vandy has been consistent goo, but tonight he was excellent as we were badly outshot. Let him enjoy his cake..

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
Not mentioned here yet but a subtle change of play, specifically on PP. Almost no cross ice (over passing) and focus is putting pucks on net with screen/deflections. Congrats coaches for the change, it’s working and I like it.
Actually I first noticed the OZone change Friday night at home against NB and carried over tonight in the Soo. Less handling and more shooting. Second PP unit is effective in front of the net..

howlman

Mar 9, 2004

This is all on Papineau for the Vondras/Vandenberg tandem to work. He's going to roll the dice with these two it seems. Unless Papineau shocks us all and trades for an OA goalie like Thornton/Gaudreau to tandem with Vandenberg. Can't see that happening but it's one of the many different directions Papineau could choose to go. It's been way too short of sample size to be damning the trade for Vandenberg thus far. Some of the posts from people have been really jumping the gun. I'm excited to see more of the kid play. Very happy they started him tonight, and it paid off. He flat out stole some games for Niagara this season, and other games kept Niagara in the game when Niagara had no business being even in the game (remember the game earlier in the season when Niagara was in Sudbury, Vandenberg was ridiculous). Yes I agree we need that consistently, solid goaltending and a goalie that has the ability to steal a game. Let's just hope whatever goalies we run with come playoff time can get the job done and hold the fort deep into the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wolf on a Wire

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
This is all on Papineau for the Vondras/Vandenberg tandem to work. He's going to roll the dice with these two it seems. Unless Papineau shocks us all and trades for an OA goalie like Thornton/Gaudreau to tandem with Vandenberg. Can't see that happening but it's one of the many different directions Papineau could choose to go. It's been way too short of sample size to be damning the trade for Vandenberg thus far. Some of the posts from people have been really jumping the gun. I'm excited to see more of the kid play. Very happy they started him tonight, and it paid off. He flat out stole some games for Niagara this season, and other games kept Niagara in the game when Niagara had no business being even in the game (remember the game earlier in the season when Niagara was in Sudbury, Vandenberg was ridiculous). Yes I agree we need that consistently, solid goaltending and a goalie that has the ability to steal a game. Let's just hope whatever goalies we run with come playoff time can get the job done and hold the fort deep into the playoffs.
Well stated. Never mentioned on. This Board is the play of Nolan Collins, he is steady and quietly having a great year. Has also chipped in with some timely goals. Penguins need to get younger, I hope Dubas realizes he deserves an ELC

CTrain10

Mar 23, 2023
Less then 2 weeks now to the deadline, could be and should be a big few weeks for us. Hoping for the best, also don’t wanna except much based on history. Go Wolves

Reactions: Section5Petes

WeThe North

Jun 7, 2021
Great team win and Walton really finding his groove. Looking good for 2024…

Last edited:

BostonOz

Sep 22, 2013
Will take the 5 out of 6 points. Now onto some business of getting added pieces. Wolves will need to add to their defence core without question. Another added piece or two up front will get it done for the Wolves.

WJ
By upgrading the D, who would you suspect is the odd man out ?

cub

Apr 11, 2012
hard to say who will be trade bait at this point. Maybe Papineau makes a couple of moves by acquiring them by picks not giving up much. The only players I think on the table is Taylor, Krawchuck, Coughlin, Yearwood, Mauro, Signoretti and Protz. I really like Protz, might have to move him to get a high end veteran D.

jamo27

Mar 24, 2007
hard to say who will be trade bait at this point. Maybe Papineau makes a couple of moves by acquiring them by picks not giving up much. The only players I think on the table is Taylor, Krawchuck, Coughlin, Yearwood, Mauro, Signoretti and Protz. I really like Protz, might have to move him to get a high end veteran D.
I think you keep guys like coughlin and yearwood for the fourth line. Mauro signoretti and Krawchuk have little value. Protz Taylor and all the draft picks for whatever the market takes…. Go with that. It’s enough to make a good run.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I think you keep guys like coughlin and yearwood for the fourth line. Mauro signoretti and Krawchuk have little value. Protz Taylor and all the draft picks for whatever the market takes…. Go with that. It’s enough to make a good run.
yes, I agree. I was trying to gather who could be available, the players not mentioned can't see them moving.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013

Add Toure and MacCallum to that list.

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
DeAngelis, Anania, Collins are licks IMO. Protz should be our 6/7 D if not traded. Mania is a big ? mark. Very talented but needs to be better in own end. Toure has obvious raw talent but has it developed enough for a long play off run? Can be improved but at what cost? Can go many different ways..

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I can't see them moving them.
Toure may be the best option for the Petes to trade Mayer, McCoy, Smith and still roster two OA D to shield younger players from over exposure.
Papineau has to be considering Mayer and Beck.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Depending on the players coming in might be Toure or Mania or Protz.

WJ

Bruce? Gaulton? DiGiantomasso? Pryce?

WJ

Reactions: dirty12

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I'm curious does anyone know if Taylor came back to Sudbury after playing Barrie? He is from the Barrie area, hasn't played last 2 game.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Toure may be the best option for the Petes to trade Mayer, McCoy, Smith and still roster two OA D to shield younger players from over exposure.
Papineau has to be considering Mayer and Beck.
you would think Petes would want a younger D not a fill in for another OA.

Reactions: Section5Petes

Sleemans99

Nov 25, 2018
I was surprised not to see Krawczuk in net last night. Agree it looks like wolves finally go at goalie win. I wonder if there is a trade agreed upon with Krawczuk and wolves can only play him in an emergency so he does not get injured but can dress him as backup until vondras gets back. Does not make a lot of sense though since they could have called up Gaulton unless that would impact cards, affiliate player status etc.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
you would think Petes would want a younger D not a fill in for another OA.
Both if they could, I’m sure.

An all-in sell this year would pretty much double the returns that the Petes could get for McCoy and Smith next season. In that case another OA D would be best imo. Too many kids are over exposed increasing the chances of injury. They tend not to develop well recovering from shoulder surgery.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
To me that is not going to get you much, half in as I hope Paps avoids. The big names will cost dearly, lots of competition out there and returns will be high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad