Sudbury Wolves 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Also wanted to add that the Wolves should be all-in this year but I still view this as a 2-year window, especially if Walton & Villy are kept. Then the rebuild starts after next season.

Goyette, Dvorsky & Vondras will be the non-OA losses. I think there's an 80% chance that Musty is back. Also an 80% chance that Collins is back as an OA. 3 of Delic/Collins/DeAngelis/(Konyen?)/(Vandenberg?) is a good OA group.

Musty Delic (OA) Pharand
Walton Villeneuve

Collins (OA) DeAngelis (OA)
Mania

Imports?

Many top end pieces to build out another roster.
If Musty does come back he won't be happy about it. You're best to slap the C on his Jersey if he does, and hope hes a leader in everyway.

Reactions: NorthernBridge7

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Musty Davorsky Goyette
Delic ? McCallum- (picking up a second line Center or RW in trade)
Walton Villeneuve Konyen
Yearwood Pharand Coughlin

? Toure- ( picking up a first pairing LD)
Anania Collins
DeAngelis. Mania
Protz

For me a couple of moves needed. A forward possibly Center or RW who can score. And a LD preferably who can either be a very good shutdown guy and can play PP.

I find that the 3 lines have been now established and playing well together, my 1 st, 3rd and 4th line. I believe the 2nd line needs an addition with high end forward.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Musty Davorsky Goyette
Walton Villeneuve Konyen

Anania Collins
DeAngelis. Mania
Protz

For me a couple of moves needed. A forward possibly Center or RW who can score. And a LD preferably who can either be a very good shutdown guy and can play PP.

I find that the 3 lines have been now established and playing well together, my 1 st, 3rd and 4th line. I believe the 2nd line needs an addition with high end forward.
I also believe that only a couple of players are needed, impact players with playoff experience though. If it takes Taylor, Protz, and more picks than any other team can offer for Beck and Mayer; great. If it takes Walton or Villeneuve and picks, so be it. Trade for another forward.
The wolves cannot fall short because they were not willing to make a fair trade involving a 17 yr old they like imo.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
I also believe that only a couple of players are needed, impact players with playoff experience though. If it takes Taylor, Protz, and more picks than any other team can offer for Beck and Mayer; great. If it takes Walton or Villeneuve and picks, so be it. Trade for another forward.
The wolves cannot fall short because they were not willing to make a fair trade involving a 17 yr old they like imo.
If they trade one of Protz/Villeneuve/Walton, it has to be for a clear upgrade. They can't have a repeat of when we move Stefan Leblanc in a deal for Trevor Carrick and Domink Kubalik in a deal for Radek Faksa. Only for neither of them to be an upgrade.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
If they trade one of Protz/Villeneuve/Walton, it has to be for a clear upgrade. They can't have a repeat of when we move Stefan Leblanc in a deal for Trevor Carrick and Domink Kubalik in a deal for Radek Faksa. Only for neither of them to be an upgrade.
I agree that trade set them back actually.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Both Beck and Mayer are clear upgrades.

Faksa upset some wolves fans because the slow, defensively lacking offensive centre was relegated to line 2; but, Faksa was without a doubt the best wolves player post deadline.
Carrick, well that was possibly the worst possible player to have around Pancel.

jamo27

Mar 24, 2007
Both Beck and Mayer are clear upgrades.

Faksa upset some wolves fans because the slow, defensively lacking offensive centre was relegated to line 2; but, Faksa was without a doubt the best wolves player post deadline.
Carrick, well that was possibly the worst possible player to have around Pancel.
That trade completely destroyed the chemistry of that team. lol Paul Fixter and Connor Burgess…. Happy times!!!!

I can’t believe I still am a wolves fan after that season. I know a lot didn’t come back after that.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Musty Davorsky Goyette
Walton Villeneuve Konyen

Anania Collins
DeAngelis. Mania
Protz

Keeping that nucleus of players would be great moving players left for their value to other teams should improve us to the point where we would be somewhat of a threat to win a second round this year. Next year would be the same scenario at best. Forget landing any names like Beck or Mayer as other teams would surely offer more than what we would with the pool of players and draft picks we would have. If fans are okay with that then great, sure would take the heat off Paps I guess.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I don't think I've ever disagreed with a take more in the history of this board haha. Both Faksa and Carrick quit on the team and wanted the season to end so they could move on to the AHL. The wolves were a worst team after the deadline because of those two.
It was the pre-deadline first line centre and PP1 winger that quit on the team. Hockey was simply not the first priority for Carrick and Pancel at the time.
That was a talented but flawed roster with only three real hockey players; Faksa, Kahun, and Baptiste.

WeThe North

Jun 7, 2021
I would pay big to get Roobroeck as our second center. He’s what we’re missing. I think we need him more than we need a Beck on a second line.

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
The big question is which sellers will target an 07 like Taylor? How big of an impact player can a Taylor and pick(s) package return? I would imagine this will be the first trade chip Papineau will want to get sorted out, and who knows he might already have something in place.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
It was the pre-deadline first line centre and PP1 winger that quit on the team. Hockey was simply not the first priority for Carrick and Pancel at the time.
That was a talented but flawed roster with only three real hockey players; Faksa, Kahun, and Baptiste.
You’re blaming Campagna and Pancel? Wow. For a good part of the season they were on a top line with Baptiste and they were one of the best lines in the league. I do agree that they were a good second line on a contender and not a first but there was no reason to break them up. They didn’t quit, they just had no chemistry with whoever they out on the wing and they didn’t play enough as the Faksa line got pretty much all of the ice time. Faksa never wanted to be here, he was happy to play out the string and go to the AHL and make money. After the first weekend, Faksa barely tried and took a lot of stupid penalties. He did not care and that was evident to everyone in the room and in the stands. Carrick was an improvement on Leblanc but not at the price that was paid. Most of the blame here should be laid at the feet of Paul Fixter. He broke up a productive line, he pretty much buried a talent in Kahun on the third line for no particular reason which is why he left a year early, he burned out a good goalie in Palazzese, he kept playing an unsuccessful first line to death and rolled out the same PP that got scored on quite often. Fixter managed to unite the team in one way, everyone in that room hated him. Lay the blame there, Fixter ruined and demotivate the majority of the team

Reactions: djscooter

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I would pay big to get Roobroeck as our second center. He’s what we’re missing. I think we need him more than we need a Beck on a second line.
The wolves are missing big mean slow forwards with the ability to score? I thought the team lacked commitment without the puck from players with the speed to be effective two ways.

Reactions: Section5Petes

WeThe North

Jun 7, 2021
I also think if you wanna spread your offence Goyette has proven he can produce playing with everyone. Walton looks ready to step it up I could see him on the first line no problem.

Musty-Dvorsky-Walton
Delic-Roobroeck-Goyette
Villy-McCallum (or better OA)- Konyen
Yearwood-Pharand-Coughlan

Sova-Nelson
DeAngelis-Toure
Anania-Collins (shut down pairing)

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
You’re blaming Campagna and Pancel? Wow. For a good part of the season they were on a top line with Baptiste and they were one of the best lines in the league. I do agree that they were a good second line on a contender and not a first but there was no reason to break them up. They didn’t quit, they just had no chemistry with whoever they out on the wing and they didn’t play enough as the Faksa line got pretty much all of the ice time. Faksa never wanted to be here, he was happy to play out the string and go to the AHL and make money. After the first weekend, Faksa barely tried and took a lot of stupid penalties. He did not care and that was evident to everyone in the room and in the stands. Carrick was an improvement on Leblanc but not at the price that was paid. Most of the blame here should be laid at the feet of Paul Fixter. He broke up a productive line, he pretty much buried a talent in Kahun on the third line for no particular reason which is why he left a year early, he burned out a good goalie in Palazzese, he kept playing an unsuccessful first line to death and rolled out the same PP that got scored on quite often. Fixter managed to unite the team in one way, everyone in that room hated him. Lay the blame there, Fixter ruined and demotivate the majority of the team
Campagna, Pancel, and Carrick in particular were very talented, yet at the time not motivated to be the best hockey players and teammates that they could. It’s not rare among 19 yr old kids. If there is blame, blame the GM for having three uninterested kids on one team.

• Haha
Reactions: djscooter

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
I also think if you wanna spread your offence Goyette has proven he can produce playing with everyone. Walton looks ready to step it up I could see him on the first line no problem.

Musty-Dvorsky-Walton
Delic-Roobroeck-Goyette
Villy-McCallum (or better OA)- Konyen
Yearwood-Pharand-Coughlan

Sova-Nelson
DeAngelis-Toure
Anania-Collins (shut down pairing)
And who would you be hoping to trade to acquire these new additons?

Reactions: Section5Petes

WeThe North

Jun 7, 2021
So you think a guy like Sova is worth more than Mania, a prospect and 3 picks ? Pls explain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad