Sudbury Wolves 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
Assets Gained- Noah Van Vliet
- Zacharie Giroux
-Donovan McCoy
-WSR 8 2025
- FLNT 3 2027 (flipped in Van Vliet Trade)

Assets Lost- Caden Taylor
-Djibril Toure
- Owen Protz
-SBY 4 2027*
-SOO 3 2026
-WSR 3 2026
-FLNT 2 2026
-KGN 2 2027
-FLNT 3 2027

Here are our deadline assets lost and gained. Correct me if I missed anything. Yes it would have been nice to make other moves to strengthen even more but it's a double edge sword. Half of us would say he overpaid. Sometimes you just can't win. We are stronger today than 3 days ago IMO. Losing Protz hurt though.
I agree Protz is the big loss. I would have preferred they moved another 2nd and kept him.

Reactions: BostonOz

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
There are no guarantees. I think the job of a GM in a contending year is to try to get the team to the conference finals. If they get that far, they have done their job and given the team a chance to win. There are too many variables and unknowns to expect more. Even a team like Saginaw that threw everything at it and has planned for this for 3 years won't be shocked if they are out in the conference finals.
Saginaw would now be favored to win the West Bloom, Beck, Misa etc if we win the East we go directly to the Memorial cup, would you not have wanted to go all in knowing that Ottawa and Barrie got much stronger? I give Paps a C+ solely for not going for the home run ball at the end.

• Haha
Reactions: jellybeans

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Saginaw would now be favored to win the West Bloom, Beck, Misa etc if we win the East we go directly to the Memorial cup, would you not have wanted to go all in knowing that Ottawa and Barrie got much stronger? I give Paps a C+ solely for not going for the home run ball at the end.
You only go directly if Saginaw is in the OHL final, someone else and you have to win the final to get there.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
You only go directly if Saginaw is in the OHL final, someone else and you have to win the final to get there.
That is what I indicated I thought, if Saginaw were to finish first in the west and we win the east we would go directly to the Memorial Cup win or lose against them in the final.

Reactions: Samee987

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
That is what I indicated I thought, if Saginaw were to finish first in the west and we win the east we would go directly to the Memorial Cup win or lose against them in the final.
Finishing first does nothing they need to win the west in the playoffs and the wolves to win the east in the playoffs for that to happen.
Well, one good thing is, picks still in hand for the future to be competitive
People forget its a business and wiping out your future leads to massive loss of revenue.I think the wolves tried to go smart about it but in my opinion they really miss the boat with the Noah Van Vliet trade they got fleeced massively.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
1704914839806.png

Would have been a nice addition for the Wolves at that price.

Reactions: Section5Petes

WolvesFanInNorthBay

Feb 9, 2019
North Bay
**Will edit with new info once it becomes available

Sudbury Wolves vs Mississauga Steelheads
Wednesday, January 10th, 2024

1st in the division takes on 2nd in the division

OHL Gamesheet
Listen Live

- Wolves are on a 4-game winning streak with points in 13 of their last 15.
- Steelheads are on a 2-game losing streak and sit in 2nd place in the Central division.

Previous Meetings This Season

Starting Goalies:
Sudbury - Krawchuk
Mississauga - Leenders

Not dressed:

Sudbury
:
- Jakub Vondras (Jetlag?)
- Devin Mauro (Healthy Scratch)
- Lucas Signoretti (Healthy Scratch)
- Ryan Pryce (Healthy Scratch)

Mississauga:
- William Eggleton
- Liam Spencer
- William Haley

Officials:

Referee I: Ryan Harrison (3)
Referee II: Chad Ingalls (12)
LINESMEN I: Zach Gagne (97)
LINESMEN II: Dalton Kipp (86)

Mississauga SteelheadsSudbury Wolves
20-15-2-0Season Record20-11-3-2
4-6-0-0Last 10 Games7-1-1-1
0-2-0-0Streak4-0-0-0
4-2 L @ Brantford (2024-01-07) FinalLast Game7-5 W vs Kitchener (2024-01-06) Final
11-7-1-0Home Record13-4-1-0
9-8-1-0Away Record7-7-2-2
132Goals For167
119Goals Against131
30/143 (20.98%)Power Play31/166 (18.67%)
17/77 (22.08%)Power Play - Home15/85 (17.65%)
13/66 (19.7%)Power Play - Away16/81 (19.75%)
35/191 (81.68%)Penalty Killing37/157 (76.43%)
18/107 (83.18%)Penalty Kill - Home15/66 (77.27%)
17/84 (79.76%)Penalty Kill - Away22/91 (75.82%)
Jakub Fibigr (4-14-18)Leading RookieBraydon Bruce (0-0-0)
Stevie Leskovar (76)Most Penalty MinutesLandon McCallum (45)
16.5/37Team PIM/GM13.3/36

Last edited:
Reactions: CTrain10

Wiserbud

Mar 29, 2014
Well, we keep some assets as mentioned - never a bad thing. Lots of '04s looking forward, that can be moved. So, with a view to staying competitive, not a bad thing. In terms of 'now', I think our additions are great. Need to look at the overall result, not individual trades. Playoff experience, captain quality leadership, more offense, local content, improved defense including a stay at home defenseman. Losing Protz sucks, but its the cost of 'now'. We have 3 OHL calibre goalies. Could we have added another like Ludwinski? I wish. I think if the deal was there, it would have happened. My deadline rating is B+, and only if we got a Ludwinski (Lavoie) calibre player would it have been higher. I do agree that making changes can also throw off the chemistry and cohesion. (We have experienced that too.) As others have said, its out of Pap's hands and up to the players and coachs to bring it home. Go Wolves Go!

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Well, it is what it is, this is our team. I still think we have a question mark in net, and he over paid for the D man from Hamilton. However, some of you sound like kids looking through the Christmas catalog, it’s not always that easy. What are the odds that the 2D could return as overagers that would change everything for me

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I'd have to think a goalie is moved today, would really like to see them add Ludwinski and call it a day and roll!!! Goaltending is still a huge? For me
Well, we keep some assets as mentioned - never a bad thing. Lots of '04s looking forward, that can be moved. So, with a view to staying competitive, not a bad thing. In terms of 'now', I think our additions are great. Need to look at the overall result, not individual trades. Playoff experience, captain quality leadership, more offense, local content, improved defense including a stay at home defenseman. Losing Protz sucks, but its the cost of 'now'. We have 3 OHL calibre goalies. Could we have added another like Ludwinski? I wish. I think if the deal was there, it would have happened. My deadline rating is B+, and only if we got a Ludwinski (Lavoie) calibre player would it have been higher. I do agree that making changes can also throw off the chemistry and cohesion. (We have experienced that too.) As others have said, its out of Pap's hands and up to the players and coachs to bring it home. Go Wolves Go!
Excellent post.

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
At the end of this day, the results of this season are now solely on Papineau. If the wolves win, he looks like a genius, if the wolves come up short, those unused assets are egg on his face.
Just curious, so you burn thru your entire draft cupboard in a go for it year (no problem/expected) but keep in mind I’m sure every player we dream of playing for the Wolves to improve our team may not wanna come to Sudbury. Maybe some want the guarantee of playing for Mem.Cup in Saginaw. If they all did wanna come here, where does everyone slot in? Just wondering. We have made great trades last year and this season leading to deadline and three great moves that add leadership and character.
Sometimes too many moves disrupts chemistry.
Now it’s on the shoulders of the coaches and players to pull it together and WIN!
Very satisfied and very excited to watch this team.

CTrain10

Mar 23, 2023
Looking at the schedule for the rest of the month it’s rather favourable for us to go on a run here and really take command of the eastern conference. Hoping to finish 1st!

bignickelfan

Jan 9, 2024
Before just jumping on the blame Papineau wagon here, I'd like to offer 2 sides to consider from a life long Wolves fan (as I'm sure most of us are)

The moves that were made will help, are they enough? I'm not so sure. I feel other teams in the East did more.

If he did absolutely everything he could do, and these were the only kids that would come to Sudbury, then Thank You for doing everything you could to provide this town the winner that we starve for. However, if this was all he did because he didn't want to pay the prices or empty the cupboard then it's shameful.

As mentioned above, and I realize that yes Saginaw has to win the West. The Wolves have 2 potential avenues to make the Memorial Cup, win the OHL Final, or win the East IF Saginaw wins the West. I for one, would love to visit Saginaw in May and just hope the GM did everything he could.

"For the first time since 1976 the Sudbury Wolves are headed to the league final" as said after the Diaz 3OT Goal vs Belleville in 2007..... 2 OHL Final appearances in 47 years, here's hoping this team can make it 3 in 48.....

Go Wolves Go

WolvesFanInNorthBay

Feb 9, 2019
North Bay
Before just jumping on the blame Papineau wagon here, I'd like to offer 2 sides to consider from a life long Wolves fan (as I'm sure most of us are)

The moves that were made will help, are they enough? I'm not so sure. I feel other teams in the East did more.

If he did absolutely everything he could do, and these were the only kids that would come to Sudbury, then Thank You for doing everything you could to provide this town the winner that we starve for. However, if this was all he did because he didn't want to pay the prices or empty the cupboard then it's shameful.

As mentioned above, and I realize that yes Saginaw has to win the West. The Wolves have 2 potential avenues to make the Memorial Cup, win the OHL Final, or win the East IF Saginaw wins the West. I for one, would love to visit Saginaw in May and just hope the GM did everything he could.

"For the first time since 1976 the Sudbury Wolves are headed to the league final" as said after the Diaz 3OT Goal vs Belleville in 2007..... 2 OHL Final appearances in 47 years, here's hoping this team can make it 3 in 48.....

Go Wolves Go

Reactions: Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Vondras not dressing tonight - lineup was just posted. Vandenberg and Krawchuk.

Dvorsky is in, VV is in, McCoy and Giroux also in.

Is Vandenberg starting or are they going to give Chucky another shot. You’d think he might get a start on the road trip if Vondras isn’t back but he’d have to be hurt for that to be the case. Like a house, goaltending is the foundation.

WolvesFanInNorthBay

Feb 9, 2019
North Bay
Unfortunately, no names on the Sudbury side are bolded yet. The bolded names are the starting lineup. Missy's starting lineup is posted but nothing for Sudbury. I'm assuming Vandy gets the start, but who knows.

Reactions: Lycanthrope
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad