Sudbury Wolves 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Maybe it makes more sense to have a younger D as the 7th vs a 19 year old? Assuming that's where Pryce would fit into this lineup? You have lots of options for young D already signed. Jackson, Bruce, O'Dell, Horgan?

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
The issue imo with the 1st line is that each player loves the puck on their stick and for lengthy times. In which, it makes them easier to defend . Circling the ice with the puck in the offensive zone can only do so much. They need quik decisive plays/decisions while on attack.

Come playoff time wolves will see alot of what they dealt with last night. In the offensive zone and with all the overhandling with the puck, the defence makes a wall , plays man on man, and nothing becomes it. Also doesn't help playing against a good goalie whom they couldn't get alot of shouts in close on him.

I also thought last night the wolves didn't play with alot of jump. Again, that could be due to the defensive style sauga played, and a stressful week due to losing friends and the stress of the deadline.

It's up the the coaches to make the adjustments

Last edited:

Wiserbud

Mar 29, 2014
Never like a loss, but may serve us well compared to say a 7-1 win. Not a time to get cocky, but time to buckle down and work. A little reality check can go a long way, nothing is given to you.

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
Never like a loss, but may serve us well compared to say a 7-1 win. Not a time to get cocky, but time to buckle down and work. A little reality check can go a long way, nothing is given to you.
They played pretty well last night in my opinion. I agree it's probably a good reality check.

Hot goalie stole the game.

Reactions: Wiserbud

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North
They played pretty well last night in my opinion. I agree it's probably a good reality check.

Hot goalie stole the game.
Good game as you mention but really the number of shots is deceiving because many of them were shots from the blueline or boards and were no threats to score. I still think it's good to get as many shots toward the net as possible so it's kind of both good and bad but really I agree with I Loveallsports that there is just too much skating in circles handling the puck. Quick, decisive passing is usually more productive imo.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I was glad to see Chucky get another chance and you certainly couldn’t blame the loss on him but the fact is the one goal he let in that made the difference wouldn’t have went in on the other guy.

After last night it should be abundantly clear why I’m always harping on goaltending. Its’ importance can’t be overstated. When was the last time the Wolves drafted and developed a goalie like that…crickets. Now THAT’S goaltending. What a beauty.

As far as the top line having the puck on the stick for too long and making too many circular passes in the O zone, they have been doing that all year. I think I remember mentioning something about it earlier in the season, and it makes them easier to defend against. Really would be disappointed with anything less than winning the two road games coming up. Good long bus ride for the guys to banter and get to know each other.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
I was glad to see Chucky get another chance and you certainly couldn’t blame the loss on him but the fact is the one goal he let in that made the difference wouldn’t have went in on the other guy.

After last night it should be abundantly clear why I’m always harping on goaltending. Its’ importance can’t be overstated. When was the last time the Wolves drafted and developed a goalie like that…crickets. Now THAT’S goaltending. What a beauty.
Despite the one weaker goal, Krawchuk still play as good as anything we've gotten out of Vondras or Vandenberg if we're being honest.

Definitely hitting the nail on the head about the lack of developing our own goalies. Valiquette has been the wolves goaltending coach for six years now, at what point do they look to replace him?

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Really feels like part of the Wolves strategy is to start the game down 1-0. Unbelievable how many goals they give up in the first 1-2 minutes of games.

Reactions: cub
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad