Sudbury Wolves 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
That's very different then "Musty only plays for Musty". Watching the players on ice, it's pretty clear Musty is very liked as a teammate. He's always one of the first to celebrate with the goalie at the end of the game, you can see him as excited for his teammates goals as his own.

Even thinking back to previous seasons, when North bay had Lukin running around trying to take the head off of Wolves players. Musty was the player who went after him.

I don't think Musty is a perfect hockey player by any stretch, he has some pretty massive flaws, obviously. So do all the players on the wolves(Outside of maybe Dvorsky haha). I just think Musty gets pilled on more then anyone else in this thread.

People obviously mention his giveaways a lot, which are definitely numerous. However, with the wolves gameplan, no play really has the puck on his stick more then Musty. When you have the puck that much you're definitely going to end up with more giveaways then others. Look at the NHL, the top 5 leaders in giveaways this season, Kucherov, Carlson, Forsberg, Barzal, MacKinnon.

Like I said, I'm not trying to claim he's a perfect player, but he's without a doubt one of the top players on the Wolves and we have a tendency as wolves fans to really expect perfection from our top players for whatever reason.

That's all I have, going to get off my soapbox and try to enjoy the rest of this, hopefully, historic season :)
Speaking of Musty giveaways, at the end of the first period a boy had a sign which read Musty 27 would you trade your stick for a Mars bar? and he did. Announcer pointed it out along with the gesture.

Wiserbud

Mar 29, 2014
Not sure where the view that Paps did not go all in is based? Is it because we still have picks? We will likely never know what deals fell through, and why. Maybe they were Villy and Walton based? It also takes two to tango, and both need to be willing to come to terms. We can speculate Paps did not go all in.. but again, maybe he was attempting to but there had to be a line that either side of trade would not cross. Its in the rearview now.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Not sure where the view that Paps did not go all in is based? Is it because we still have picks? We will likely never know what deals fell through, and why. Maybe they were Villy and Walton based? It also takes two to tango, and both need to be willing to come to terms. We can speculate Paps did not go all in.. but again, maybe he was attempting to but there had to be a line that either side of trade would not cross. Its in the rearview now.

Would not pay the price would infer not willing to go all-in. Could not, would mean fail imo.
There should be no questions if the wolves win the east.

WolvesFanInNorthBay

Feb 9, 2019
North Bay
Speaking to fans in Sarnia, long time season ticket holders. It seems the consensus is Wolves are the favourites and have a solid team that can go all the way. Except the west haha what a gauntlet. Wolves would be in 6th.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Not sure what others here may think but when Delic and Goyette are paired there seems to be something special the way the two play. Instant chemistry for whatever reason. It was evident when Dvorsky was away and Delic returned to the line up after Christmas. But it’s not the first time those two have tore up the scoresheet. They have done it the last two seasons playing together. It would be smart to have two dangerous scoring lines imo.

WJ

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Not sure what others here may think but when Delic and Goyette are paired there seems to be something special the way the two play. Instant chemistry for whatever reason. It was evident when Dvorsky was away and Delic returned to the line up after Christmas. But it’s not the first time those two have tore up the scoresheet. They have done it the last two seasons playing together. It would be smart to have two dangerous scoring lines imo.

WJ
Every single person in the arena seems to be able to see the Goyette and Delic chemistry except for the guy on the bench.

Reactions: Duke of Wellington

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North

WJ
Totally agree with your thoughts. This is why I questioned Musty's game lately. If he was to rebound it would be great for the team and that line with Dvorsky, as I'm sure we all agree. The team's looking great now so gotta keep pushing from game to game.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010

WJ
Coach said few games ago that he's been tempted to break them up but said he likes to show believe in them

I say if they don't seem in sync in future games management/ coaching staff might consider it

Until then it is what it is

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I think we all know whats going on. Musty plays for Musty. He passes when he chooses to and he looks slower and slower trying to complicate things. Can’t believe the coaches don’t address the situation it’s so obvious.
People can laugh all you want, but I think this is 100% true. As a matter of fact, I would have moved him in a heartbeat if we could’ve got a boatload as a return. I don’t care how many points he gets this year, IF he doesn’t change the way he plays he will not play in the NHL, book it.
I agree, he is a giveaway machine and he makes low percentage passes all the time. We’ll see if that flies in the playoffs. It does indeed look like he does what he wants without any repercussions
I could lose my breath, naming players who put up big points in the OHL and went nowhere when it got real in pro hockey.
Probably the guy that makes me shake my head the most when I watch the Wolves as well as makes me nervous every time he’s got the puck. First goal last night the direct result of a giveaway. I take 100 like Giroux, Deli and Villeneuve over him and again, if I could’ve got some great players and picks for him at the deadline, I would’ve moved him. Up to him to prove us wrong, like I said, regular season points are one thing but once again, I will repeat that the playoffs are a whole different ball game.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I don’t think he’s happy last 10 games and it shows thats all.
If that’s the case, all the more reason to have considered moving him.

Question for this group: What is going on with Musty?

He coughs the puck up more than the rest of the team combined. He's also floating around many shifts tonight. He coasted to the bench on several line changes including one in the defensive end. He seems less than motivated lately. It's like he scores a bunch or doesn't engage at all. Really weird.

New guys are doing great!
Bingo!

Reactions: justawolfan

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Against a young rebuilding hockey club means nothing. You have to evalu
Jeeze, you'd think the Wolves got pounded last night from the posts here.
Winning against a young rebuilding hockey club means nothing. You have to evaluate their play with a view towards a team whose goal is winning a championship.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
People can laugh all you want, but I think this is 100% true. As a matter of fact, I would have moved him in a heartbeat if we could’ve got a boatload as a return. I don’t care how many points he gets this year, IF he doesn’t change the way he plays he will not play in the NHL, book it.
I agree, he is a giveaway machine and he makes low percentage passes all the time. We’ll see if that flies in the playoffs. It does indeed look like he does what he wants without any repercussions
I could lose my breath, naming players who put up big points in the OHL and went nowhere when it got real in pro hockey.
Probably the guy that makes me shake my head the most when I watch the Wolves as well as makes me nervous every time he’s got the puck. First goal last night the direct result of a giveaway. I take 100 like Giroux, Deli and Villeneuve over him and again, if I could’ve got some great players and picks for him at the deadline, I would’ve moved him. Up to him to prove us wrong, like I said, regular season points are one thing but once again, I will repeat that the playoffs are a whole different ball game.
Yeah you’re a riot scooter. Keep laughing like a clown and smoking the cheap stuff Rather than provide an intelligent argument.

Reactions: I Loveallsports

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
That's very different then "Musty only plays for Musty". Watching the players on ice, it's pretty clear Musty is very liked as a teammate. He's always one of the first to celebrate with the goalie at the end of the game, you can see him as excited for his teammates goals as his own.

Even thinking back to previous seasons, when North bay had Lukin running around trying to take the head off of Wolves players. Musty was the player who went after him.

I don't think Musty is a perfect hockey player by any stretch, he has some pretty massive flaws, obviously. So do all the players on the wolves(Outside of maybe Dvorsky haha). I just think Musty gets pilled on more then anyone else in this thread.

People obviously mention his giveaways a lot, which are definitely numerous. However, with the wolves gameplan, no play really has the puck on his stick more then Musty. When you have the puck that much you're definitely going to end up with more giveaways then others. Look at the NHL, the top 5 leaders in giveaways this season, Kucherov, Carlson, Forsberg, Barzal, MacKinnon.

Like I said, I'm not trying to claim he's a perfect player, but he's without a doubt one of the top players on the Wolves and we have a tendency as wolves fans to really expect perfection from our top players for whatever reason.

That's all I have, going to get off my soapbox and try to enjoy the rest of this, hopefully, historic season :)

Yeah you’re a riot scooter. Keep laughing like a clown and smoking the cheap stuff Rather than provide an intelligent argument.

Quoting it and putting it here, since I guess you missed it when making 5 posts in a row.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
not sure what is going on with goalies, no Vandenberg tonight.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
We all know they won't replace Ken MacKenzie, but maybe we can invest in a motivational speaker to give some pre-game pep-talks.

Pretty embarrassing being here in person lol they can come back though. Especially if they get a 5 minute PP
Hopefully Windsor at least has some good popcorn

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
Why do our forwards initiate all plays off the OZ blue line…a dangerous strategy

Must have been a “welcome to the Team” party last night for the new guys…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad