OT - NO POLITICS Subs, taxes and frozen pipes edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Weird weather here in SW Ontario. We are in blizzard conditions and a huge clap of thunder just scared me, not expected. Thunder and lightning in a blizzard, glad I am not driving.
That happen a couple of times here in December. The friction in the snow can cause static electrical lightning and thunder. Never heard it before.

Last edited:

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I think the asking permission is very outdated and paints the woman in the relationship as property.

It depends on the person - I think talking to the parent/giving a heads up depending on the relationship is one thing but the asking tradition is old school in todays society, IMO.

I still like the old school idea of it. But I see it differently. If a guy wants to marry me, and has good intentions, talking to my father and mother beforehand out of respect is huge for me. Not necessarily permission, because nobody needs that, but I'm good with a "I love your daughter, and would like marry your daughter, I would love to have both your blessing?" That goes a long way in my book.

I have every intention to have both my parents walk me down the aisle, God willing. I never really understood why only the father gets to do that. My mum will be along side me with my father as they both have raised me. That's my intention for marriage one day. :)

Last edited:

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Amica is handling everything on my claim including talking with Boston Police and got me a rental car for tomorrow. aside from contacting the auto body shop to set up a time to have it towed down there, my work is done.

We believe that the guy hit my car when he saw that he was about to hit my neighbor's daughter head on. I'd rather my car be hit than an innocent woman being hurt or worse.

I tell my clients this all the time- we can fix or replace your vehicle/property. People no. And most understand this once they have the time to think about it. Having an accident or other claim is just so incredibly stressful on people :(

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I still like the old school idea of it. But I see it differently. If a guy wants to marry me, and has good intentions, talking to my father and mother beforehand out of respect is huge for me. Not necessarily permission, because nobody needs that, but I'm good with a "I love your daughter, and would like marry your daughter, I would love to have both your blessing?" That goes a long way in my book.

I have every intention to have both my parents walk me down the aisle, God willing. I never really understood why only the father gets to do that. My mum will be along side me with my father as they both have raised me. That's my intention for marriage one day. :)
I’m old school.

This is my second go round.

The first marriage, I went to ask my girlfriend’s parents blessing. Her dad was the finance person at their church. Her mom had tears of joy, but her dad was busy working on finance stuff, didn’t raise his eye from his work and said of his blessing “You got it.”

2nd time, I went to see my girlfriend’s folks. Her dad was in advanced stages of early onset Alzheimer’s. Her mom was very happy and emotional and said “Bill, don’t you have anything to say? Our baby is getting married.” He looked straight ahead and said “I know you love her!”

Sadly, he passed the Fall before the wedding and Megan’s brother gave her away.

She’s in RCIA now and coming into the Church at the Easter Vigil.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I’m old school.

The first marriage, I went to ask my girlfriend’s parents blessing. Her dad was the finance person at their church. Her mom had tears of joy, but her dad was busy working on finance stuff, didn’t raise his eye from his work and said of his blessing “You got it.”

2nd time, I went to see my girlfriend’s folks. Her dad was in advanced stages of early onset Alzheimer’s. Her mom was very happy and emotional and said “Bill, don’t you have anything to say? Our baby is getting married.” He looked straight ahead and said “I know you love her!”

Your whole post got me. But this? This got me emotional. What a beautiful time to be welcomed into the Church. That is going to be a moment nobody will forget. A beautiful moment!

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts

I have every intention to have both my parents walk me down the isle, God willing. I never really understood why only the father gets to do that. My mum will be along side me with my father as they both have raised me. That's my intention for marriage one day. :)

I’m old school.

Mrs. 103 is a very interesting hybrid of traditional and modern woman. Her professional successes, intelligence, and independence scared a lot of guys off before she and I got together. Without that, my life would be poorer for sure.

Her father is a Pentecostal minister, and I never thought of not talking to him before I proposed to the future Mrs. 103. He was moved to tears that I would approach him and talk to him man to man about it.

I was told in no uncertain terms by Mrs. 103 that no matter what her father said, we were going to get married anyway, but she wanted me to talk to him all the same.

@smithformeragent, my wife also went through RCIA - 10 years ago this year. That was a far more interesting chat with her father! Congratulations!

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
No idea where else to put this…

Did anyone else here know that there is a whole other tribe of Bruins fans here at HF that keeps almost exclusively to the main boards? A smaller tribe than “us,” but they’re definitely out there.

Their avatars and posts give them away, but they rarely come in here. Oftentimes they have some interesting takes. I wonder why they don’t post on the Bruins board?

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
No idea where else to put this…

Did anyone else here know that there is a whole other tribe of Bruins fans here at HF that keeps almost exclusively to the main boards? A smaller tribe than “us,” but they’re definitely out there.

Their avatars and posts give them away, but they rarely come in here. Oftentimes they have some interesting takes. I wonder why they don’t post on the Bruins board?
Are you saying we need them as depth for the Cup run?
8A2E9F61-7AC8-4279-B93E-7ACFB7C7F06F.jpeg

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario

They cool if I'm an absolute heathen?

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
How lovely. and not necessarily--it might just be in shock and adjusting. My purple are blooming and absolutely beautiful. It was slightly damaged after planting so I"m surprised it did.
But have another one on the other side of the backyard and it could give a sh** if it blooms.
Give it a little of time and I think it will surprise you. Please send pics when it does!
I for sure will if & when it does!

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I think the asking permission is very outdated and paints the woman in the relationship as property.

It depends on the person - I think talking to the parent/giving a heads up depending on the relationship is one thing but the asking tradition is old school in todays society, IMO.

Didn't ask my now-father in law in my case. Thought about it, but ultimately couldn't really see what I was actually asking. Requesting permission implied something I didn't agree with. Seeking a father's blessing? That could be nice I suppose, but in the end I felt that the matter was purely between my girlfriend and me, and it seemed like she should be the first person to know about the proposal, not someone else.

To each their own, but things panned out well for us, and if her dad was bothered about not being asked, he's never indicated as such. The mutual respect is there, and I think that's the most important thing.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
Didn't ask my now-father in law in my case. Thought about it, but ultimately couldn't really see what I was actually asking. Requesting permission implied something I didn't agree with. Seeking a father's blessing? That could be nice I suppose, but in the end I felt that the matter was purely between my girlfriend and me, and it seemed like she should be the first person to know about the proposal, not someone else.

To each their own, but things panned out well for us, and if her dad was bothered about not being asked, he's never indicated as such. The mutual respect is there, and I think that's the most important thing.
I agree with you, nobody has 'that feeling' except you and the other person.

Have to get to know the family beforehand and do what is best for everybody.

Edit: Ability to read people.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Can't believe it's March 6th already. I'll be planting the garden in 10 weeks. Just my parents and I here but I still find it fun taking care of and love cooking.

You better show pictures of this garden! I don't have a green thumb much. Wish I did. Anyone who can start a garden or keep flowers or plants alive are good people.

I think the closest "plant" I've kept alive was a chia pet as a child :laugh:

*ducks*

• Haha
Reactions: BMC

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
You better show pictures of this garden! I don't have a green thumb much. Wish I did. Anyone who can start a garden or keep flowers or plants alive are good people.

I think the closest "plant" I've kept alive was a chia pet as a child :laugh:

*ducks*
You have animals lol. You can take care of a garden.

I dont know what size yard you have but you can always use a regular planter pot (I think, I'm not an expert lol) grow tomatoes to start.

Reactions: Mione134

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
My friend's funeral is on Wednesday and there is one remaining loose end.

We want the service streamed because he has many friends outside of Boston and we want Bernie Corbetts's eulogy to be saved.

The church wants $1000 :banghead:

The priest explained to me the technical cost involved and of course, he had no idea of my background. He said that is what CatholicTV charges....

The CatholicTV Network, commonly known as CatholicTV, is a Catholic television network based in Watertown, Massachusetts. CatholicTV first launched locally in Boston in 1955, making it the oldest Catholic television network in the United States. Wikipedia
Founded: 1955
Headquarters:
Watertown, MA

I think most of you can connect the dots...................

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK

We want the service streamed because he has many friends outside of Boston and we want Bernie Corbetts's eulogy to be saved.

The priest explained to me the technical cost involved and of course, he had no idea of my background. He said that is what CatholicTV charges....

The CatholicTV Network, commonly known as CatholicTV, is a Catholic television network based in Watertown, Massachusetts. CatholicTV first launched locally in Boston in 1955, making it the oldest Catholic television network in the United States. Wikipedia
Headquarters:
Watertown, MA

Oh the tangled web they weave

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY

Headquarters:
Watertown, MA

Do what he would want you to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad