Strome or Hanifin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I voted Strome... but maybe I would change my mind. I don't really know.

Another big factor is what we get in return for Kessel and whether or not we trade Phaneuf.

If we trade Phaneuf, then I think I would definitely draft Hanifin.

If we keep Phaneuf and trade Kessel for Jones, then I would definitely draft Strome.

However, if we trade Kessel for Jones and draft Hanifin... we could have this next year:

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Jones
Hanifin - Polak/Robidas

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Hanifin:

Ranked #3 by Hockeyprospect.com
Ranked #4 by ISS Hockey
Ranked #3 by Future Considerations
Ranked #3 by McKeen's Hockey
Ranked #3 by NHL Central Scouting (NA Skaters)

Strome:

Ranked #6 by Hockeyprospect.com
Ranked #6 by ISS Hockey
Ranked #4 by Future Considerations
Ranked #8 by McKeen's Hockey
Ranked #5 by NHL Central Scouting (NA Skaters)

Judging by the various sites, it seems that many scouts believe that Hanifin is the BPA. So my vote would go to him.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Hanifin. Future 1-2 with Rielly. I'd like to see a good forward prospect as well, but we need to build from the net out. Nylander is a good start on forward. Really hope we can get another top forward prospect, but I'd much rather our team end up like Nashville than Edmonton.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Hanifin. Rielly and hanifin playing 30mins a night would be beast (assuming hanifin can adapt to switching sides?)

Rielly has played the right side a few times this season (He is right now in fact). If Hanifin can't make the switch, I think Rielly very well could.

LyGuy

Aug 21, 2013
Another thing to keep in mind is that next year Leafs will probably be picking top 3. Since D men generally take longer to develop it would be logical to draft Hanafin and then a center next year

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If Hanifin is available and you think he can be a franchise cornerstone, you have to take him over Strome, even if Strome is the better fit.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
People are in love with the idea of Strome, not the actual player himself.

Yes... We a 1C with size is something that we need badly... But we need a lot of things badly... We are rebuilding our ENTIRE team here...

Every position will help us, even scoring wingers... If the scoring winger is of higher quality then the big C then take the scoring winger. We will be drafting a lot for the next couple years, we will have more cracks at big C's.

I like Strome, but i'd be happier with Hanifin or Marner watching all 3 play.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Yes... We a 1C with size is something that we need badly... But we need a lot of things badly... We are rebuilding our ENTIRE team here...

Every position will help us, even scoring wingers... If the scoring winger is of higher quality then the big C then take the scoring winger. We will be drafting a lot for the next couple years, we will have more cracks at big C's.

I'm watching Marner play center tonight, wow. 2 goals so far, London 2-0.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta

To be fair I don't think history gives great support to the argument that we'll have more cracks at big centers. When was the last time we actually drafted one of those? It's possible we'll have more shots at those, but it's not a given.

In the end it comes down to the scouts and the guys at that table. No one is going to say draft the center just because they play center and take no considering to skills and ability.

Whoever they think is the best take them and run.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
As for the question at hand, I think Hanifin becoming a Franchise D is likelier than Strom becoming a franchise C. If I had to choose between them, I'd say Hanifin.

I love Rielly, but I don't think he'll be a franchise D like Hanifin. Those 2 would be a deadly 1-2 combo on D for years to come.

Center Ice Scrum*

Aug 20, 2010
The World Wide Web
How about we, take Hannifin if we can get him. Trade Kessel for Jones. And tank again next year for Mathews. See if we can sneak back a pick in the latter half of the top 10 for Phaneuf or JVR. And pick up Barzal.

Rielly - Hannifin
Jones - Gardiner
Percy - Loov

XXX - Mathews - Nylander
XXX - Barzal - Kadri
XXX - Gauthier - Komarov
scrubs

That's not a bad line up at all.

It has 6 high calibre players in Rielly, Hannifin, Jones, Mathews, Nylander, Barzal. 3 Studs on the back end and 3 studs on the front end. I think this would be an excellent core of players to build off of.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
What if Strome is available and they think he can be a franchise cornerstone?

That's what it comes down for me. If they believe Strome can be a franchise centre, I'd pick Strome.

I guess it depends how much of a gap there is between them according to Leafs.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
How about we, take Hannifin if we can get him. Trade Kessel for Jones. And tank again next year for Mathews. See if we can sneak back a pick in the latter half of the top 10 for Phaneuf or JVR. And pick up Barzal.

Rielly - Hannifin
Jones - Gardiner
Percy - Loov

XXX - Mathews - Nylander
XXX - Barzal - Kadri
XXX - Gauthier - Komarov
scrubs

That's not a bad line up at all.

It has 6 high calibre players in Rielly, Hannifin, Jones, Mathews, Nylander, Barzal. 3 Studs on the back end and 3 studs on the front end. I think this would be an excellent core of players to build off of.

Completely off topic, but after years of development you just want to switch Kadri to the wing? And play him with another playmaker? :help:

Nashville isn't trading Jones either. We've been over this. Specially not for Kessel. And especially not anymore. Kessel's value is in the gutter.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
The one big issue with Strome is that he skates like Derian Hatcher carrying Jason Allison on his back.

Biggest knock on Tavares was his skating as well, look how that's going. Skating can be worked on.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
All of this is moot point anyways. If Hanifin is as good as people are saying, how can the Oilers pass up on him at 3 when that is pretty much their biggest organization need?

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
All of this is moot point anyways. If Hanifin is as good as people are saying, how can the Oilers pass up on him at 3 when that is pretty much their biggest organization need?

Because its the Oilers?

Then again, we're the Leafs and will probably take Crouse at 3 or 4.

Last edited:

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
I'm sure many in here have way more insight than me, as I haven't watched alot this year only read various online reports. I remember reading recently a report on strome that his work ethic wasn't always there, and he disappeared at times. Took this with a grain of salt as all players have off games/stretches etc. Then was reading here (hope i can post link, http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/player/dylan-strome/20913/ ) . Will quote "The only negative might be that his defensive effort has been questioned and that it appears on many shifts, he can go unnoticed or just seems to be invisible."

Maybe I'm reading too much into it but what this team needs is not only highend skill but hungry hardworking types. For some reason Strome scares me a bit in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad