Strome or Hanifin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
I'm sure many in here have way more insight than me, as I haven't watched alot this year only read various online reports. I remember reading recently a report on strome that his work ethic wasn't always there, and he disappeared at times. Took this with a grain of salt as all players have off games/stretches etc. Then was reading here (hope i can post link, http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/player/dylan-strome/20913/ ) . Will quote "The only negative might be that his defensive effort has been questioned and that it appears on many shifts, he can go unnoticed or just seems to be invisible."

Maybe I'm reading too much into it but what this team needs is not only highend skill but hungry hardworking types. For some reason Strome scares me a bit in that regard.

Size =/= heart. Nick Ritchie has those exact same concerns, although he's nowhere near Strome. Strome's may be a tad exaggerated since I don't think he's that bad defensively.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
If the Oilers take Strome at 3 there is legitimately no hope for them. Pretty sure they are at the point in their rebuild when they can draft by positional needs :faceapalm:

There's no hope for them as long as the old boys club (Lowe, MacTavish) run that team.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
There's no hope for them as long as the old boys club (Lowe, MacTavish) run that team.

But its seriously just common sense? They have drafted more top forwards then any team can actually hope to hang onto in the long run, and have absolutely nothing in terms of upcoming top defenders (who aren't projects).

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
The defensive/effort questions of. Strome. Are why some are saying marner over him

He. Doesn't have the. Size but he has the talent and more complete game. Giroux vs E. Staal

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
The defensive/effort questions of. Strome. Are why some are saying marner over him

He. Doesn't have the. Size but he has the talent and more complete game. Giroux vs E. Staal

There are literally almost 0 effort questions of Dylan Strome.

ragingsemi

Feb 28, 2015
The leafs are probably going to get the 4th overall pick which (I'm banking on the coyotes to take Marner), which leaves toronto with Strome or Hanifin.... If you were in their situation, who would you take?***This isn't picking the "best player", but picking the one that will help the team the most**

I would go with Strome. As good as Hanafin could be, there are similar defencemen to him in this draft, and yet the top-end offensive talent dips after Marner and Strome. I think there's a good chance Hanafin's stock drops with the final rankings, actually.

I am still personally torn if we should take Strome over Marner, but if we pick at 5 and McDavid/Eichel/Strome/Marner are all off the board (a very real possibility), I consider trading down to 7 or 8 and nabbing Werenski and another late-1st (hopefully 16-22 overall and nab Roy or Svechnikov) or an early 2nd. I would be very, very happy with Werenski + Roy, or Werenski + Svechnikov, if we couldn't get Strome/Marner that is.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Marner has that "it" factor. Clearly the best London Knight. He will have no problem playing center and would be a franchise player for us. When you hope a player has compete, character, 200 foot game and clutch to go with skill: Marner. I've been paying attention to him closely for a while now and I am nothing but seriously impressed. This would be a player we have not drafted for a long, long time.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
I would go with Strome. As good as Hanafin could be, there are similar defencemen to him in this draft, and yet the top-end offensive talent dips after Marner and Strome. I think there's a good chance Hanafin's stock drops with the final rankings, actually.

I am still personally torn if we should take Strome over Marner, but if we pick at 5 and McDavid/Eichel/Strome/Marner are all off the board (a very real possibility), I consider trading down to 7 or 8 and nabbing Werenski and another late-1st (hopefully 16-22 overall and nab Roy or Svechnikov) or an early 2nd. I would be very, very happy with Werenski + Roy, or Werenski + Svechnikov, if we couldn't get Strome/Marner that is.

No, there isn't. That's why he's ranked 3rd and none of the other d men are close to him.

horner

May 22, 2007
Marner has that "it" factor. Clearly the best London Knight. He will have no problem playing center and would be a franchise player for us. When you hope a player has compete, character, 200 foot game and clutch to go with skill: Marner. I've been paying attention to him closely for a while now and I am nothing but seriously impressed. This would be a player we have not drafted for a long, long time.

Marner, Morgan, Nylander and Chychrum 2016

Wow

That would be a get core.

I agree with

Strome, will be really good but Marner, is going to be grt

ragingsemi

Feb 28, 2015
What part of his game sets you off him?

He seems like a really well-rounded defenceman. Maybe he could be more physical, but he should be more than fine. It's more that I like all of the other prospects in the top-5 better than him. Hanifin is going to be good but I just don't think you can justify taking him when any of the other players are on the board (unless you're the Oilers are you finally decide you need someone to play defence)

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
He seems like a really well-rounded defenceman. Maybe he could be more physical, but he should be more than fine. It's more that I like all of the other prospects in the top-5 better than him. Hanifin is going to be good but I just don't think you can justify taking him when any of the other players are on the board (unless you're the Oilers are you finally decide you need someone to play defence)

So basically you value forwards more then defenders.. The only thing you have against him is his physicality which he makes up for with his IQ and his amazing skating ability.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
If the Leafs pick 4th, this will be quite the decision to make.

I love Marner's game but I also really admire Hanifin's effortless steadiness.

Strome has immense skill and vision but I don't see how his game translating to the NHL as well as the others'. Skating needs work as does his commitment to the other side of the puck.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario

Elite skating, elite iq, very very good defensive instincts, good shot. Honestly can't understand what some expect a #1 dman to look like if it isn't this

ragingsemi

Feb 28, 2015
So basically you value forwards more then defenders.. The only thing you have against him is his physicality which he makes up for with his IQ and his amazing skating ability.

With a 4th or 5th overall pick, probably. They have to be one hell of a defenceman. But there's one huge-hyped defenceman almost every year (Jones, Ekblad, Murray, Larsson/Hamilton, Hedman). I don't see Hanifin as clear-cut above any of those players, and All of the top-4 forwards are 1st line talent. This year, up to 4th overall, I'd go with the forward.

I would trade the 5th if two good 1st rounders came back as I described because I think the Leafs prospect pool needs two of Werenski/Roy/Svechnikov more than one of Hanifin. But that's just me.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
With a 4th or 5th overall pick, probably. They have to be one hell of a defenceman. But there's one huge-hyped defenceman almost every year (Jones, Ekblad, Murray, Larsson/Hamilton, Hedman). I don't see Hanifin as clear-cut above any of those players, and All of the top-4 forwards are 1st line talent. This year, up to 4th overall, I'd go with the forward.

I would trade the 5th if two good 1st rounders came back as I described because I think the Leafs prospect pool needs two of Werenski/Roy/Svechnikov more than one of Hanifin. But that's just me.

I'd keep 4th/5th overall and couple Nashville's pick with some roster assets to move up to the 10th-15th overall range.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario

Not a snowball's chance in hell do i trade down this pick

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010

For a team lacking that true elite talent at the top of the roster, specifically 1C or 1D why on earth would you advocate relinquishing our best chance at one for two lesser pieces? We should be collecting high calibre assets not filling out depth charts. I do agree with you on svechnikov being the guy I want with the 2nd first. Hanifin & svechnikov on draft day and I'm a happy leaf fan

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Strome. Elite C rarely move teams, and are rarely picked outside of the top 10. D on the other hand, I'm sure someone will correct me but Doughty is the only guy I can think of that was picked in the top 5. Karlsson maybe, but he was lower than that. Weber, Keith, Subban, etc. all picked later on.

ragingsemi

Feb 28, 2015
I'd keep 4th/5th overall and couple Nashville's pick with some roster assets to move up to the 10th-15th overall range.

That would be solid too. But I'm not sure who that would be. I don't think it'll be Bozak, wouldn't want to if it was Kadri/Gardiner/JVR. Maybe Phaneuf as part of a larger deal?

Yeah, I think I would trade Phaneuf if it meant we could get Svechnikov. The guy is super underrated. He had a phenomenal year in the Q and is projected around 18-22. This guy has Kovalchuk (the skill, not the drama) written all over him. I could even see some team taking him extra early like Skinner (bottom of the top-10)

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Elite skating, elite iq, very very good defensive instincts, good shot. Honestly can't understand what some expect a #1 dman to look like if it isn't this

Exactly, you don't need to lay huge hits if you're in position and already 3 steps ahead of what's happening. Nik Lidstrom did that for 20 years.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
Strome. Elite C rarely move teams, and are rarely picked outside of the top 10. D on the other hand, I'm sure someone will correct me but Doughty is the only guy I can think of that was picked in the top 5. Karlsson maybe, but he was lower than that. Weber, Keith, Subban, etc. all picked later on.

Going back to the Doughty draft, the following D have been picked in the top 5: Ekblad, Jones, Murray, Reinhart, Rielly, Larsson, Gudbranson, Hedman, Doughty, Bogosian, Pietrangelo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad