Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] Pat Maroon signs with STL (1 year, $1.75M)

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I don't see what Maroon can bring that Kostin can't, except experience (big whoop). I'm uneasy with Kostin's attitude/feeling that he should have been on the Blues last season, while knowing the Blues have a fetish with signing bottom 9 players. I really don't want the KHL to even enter the guy's head.

If we're going to block prospects players from having a stint in the league, then they better be good reasons. I don't care if a prospect is unproven if a veteran has proven he is ho-hum/who freaking cares. The prospect should have to prove he sucks.

Experience = being a proven NHL player. Not sure how that doesn’t matter.

Maroon is a beauty. Will drop the mitts tomdefend teammates and Cam pitched in 15-20 goals. This is a great deal for the Blues.

SC2GM

May 16, 2016
If you think Kostin is NHL ready, then you are really overrating him.
I know he didn't have the best season last year. I'm just factoring in what I expect from Maroon (4th line here), Kostin's potential, both players' style of play, and... the KHL angle.

I just really am for giving prospects a chance to show what they have in the NHL. An unproven Husso deserves WAY more playing time than a guy like Allen who has proven a whole lot of negative/detrimental stuff.

We had to watch Ben Bishop walk away from the Blues and become one of the best goalies in the league, all because we had no idea what we had in him. Meanwhile, Allen was given every chance in the world and it continues. This is the risk you run when you block positions for no good reason.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I know he didn't have the best season last year. I'm just factoring in what I expect from Maroon (4th line here), Kostin's potential, both player's style of play, and... the KHL angle.

I just really am for giving prospects a chance to show what they have in the NHL. An unproven Husso deserves WAY more playing time than a guy like Allen who has proven a whole lot of negative/detrimental stuff.

We had to watch Ben Bishop walk away from the Blues and become one of the best goalies in the league, all because we had no idea what we had in him. Meanwhile, Allen was given every chance in the world and it continues. This is the risk you run when you block positions for no good reason.
Like it or not, Maroon has scored over 40 points the past 2 seasons. He'd fill the role that Brouwer played here. He'd be a middle 6 player.

You don't just give kids playing time for the sake of having them show what they can do. The kids show what they can do in practice, and if they show enough and earn a spot, then they get in the lineup.

Reactions: GoBluz24

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Jeremy Rutherford was on Edmonton radio last week and thinks Maroon turned down $16M over 4-years from the Blues early in free agency.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
He changed his agent a few days ago. I think his old agent badly misread the market.
Woof, I didn't read that.

That sucks. Might've cost Maroon quite a bit of dollar and term.

Jeremy Rutherford was on Edmonton radio last week and thinks Maroon turned down $16M over 4-years from the Blues early in free agency. His former agent really screwed this up.

Hoooooly shit. That blows.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Jeremy Rutherford was on Edmonton radio last week and thinks Maroon turned down $16M over 4-years from the Blues early in free agency. His former agent really screwed this up.
Doubt it. We signed Perron and Bozak very quickly. JR is probably connecting dots there really weren't there and he thinks we were looking at Perron and Maroon, and decided to go with Perron.

Reactions: rumrokh

SC2GM

May 16, 2016
Like it or not, Maroon has scored over 40 points the past 2 seasons. He'd fill the role that Brouwer played here. He'd be a middle 6 player.

You don't just give kids playing time for the sake of having them show what they can do. The kids show what they can do in practice, and if they show enough and earn a spot, then they get in the lineup.

There's a difference between first line expectations/mandates and fourth line expectations. Almost any amount of production can be viewed as passable from a fourth line player. I'm hearing about Kostin's potential and seeing him knock out grown men. I'd rather give him a shot at some NHL playing time than watch him play in the KHL.

It's like Husso. Put up great numbers in the minors, but... he's "unproven." Well, what exactly would you expect Allen's numbers to look like in the minors? He'd obviously be hard pressed to do better. We need some semblance of common sense. If a guy is projected to be a first liner, then it's only going to take longer to come to fruition if he's not playing at the necessary level.

Hutton had either the best season or second best season as a goalie last year. He still couldn't start the last game of the season, where a win would get us into the playoffs. We come up with the dumbest freaking reasons to block who should be playing. We don't try to shoot ourselves in the foot. We try to blow our heads off. Then, as ghosts we try to come back and shoot our dead bodies. We can't get enough of it.

If I'm a prospect and I see us sign some of these bums... I'd take it as a middle finger. We have the worst starting goalie in the league, yet -- we're also the WORST team for a goalie prospect to play for. Go figure.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
There's a difference between first line expectations/mandates and fourth line expectations. Almost any amount of production can be viewed as passable from a fourth line player. I'm hearing about Kostin's potential and seeing him knock out grown men. I'd rather give him a shot at some NHL playing time than watch him play in the KHL.

It's like Husso. Put up great numbers in the minors, but... he's "unproven." Well, what exactly would you expect Allen's numbers to look like in the minors? He'd obviously be hard pressed to do better. We need some semblance of common sense. If a guy is projected to be a first liner, then it's only going to take longer to come to fruition if he's not playing at the necessary level.

Hutton had either the best season or second best season as a goalie last year. He still couldn't start the last game of the season, where a win would get us into the playoffs. We come up with the dumbest freaking reasons to block who should be playing. We don't try to shoot ourselves in the foot. We try to blow our heads off. Then, as ghosts we try to come back and shoot our dead bodies. We can't get enough of it.

If I'm a prospect and I see us sign some of these bums... I'd take it as a middle finger.
This is why fans aren't GM's.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah, this is why the Blues have been so successful. Be quiet.
It's like fans forget that Schwartz started on the 4th line. You don't just throw kids that aren't ready into the fire and expect them to do well or the team to do well.

SC2GM

May 16, 2016
It's like fans forget that Schwartz started on the 4th line. You don't just throw kids that aren't ready into the fire and expect them to do well or the team to do well.

Yeah, bro, on a team with Schwartz, Schenn and Tarsenko, I'm advocating for Kostin to be given a chance to play on the first line. So aggravating. OBVIOUSLY, I'd want him to start out on the fourth line, too. You know, the line with next to zero expectations. You say Schwartz started out on the fourth line yet is now on the first line and probably our best forward? Hmm... someone give me a time machine so we can make sure he stayed in the minors longer. First line or bust from the start.

It takes a special kind of organization to let a 6'7" goaltender leave your organization cause of Allen, and the fact you never found out what you had in Bishop. If a guy was 12 feet tall and weighed 1,400 pounds and literally left zero room in the net, we'd be the team that was starting Allen over him. Don't even try to blackmail us, we can't go any lower.

Last edited by a moderator:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Oh, I see the problem is that you don't know how to read. Okay, thanks for clearing it up. Jesus christ, what is your reading comprehension level? 2nd grade?

Yeah, bro, on a team with Schwartz, Schenn and Tarsenko, I'm advocating for Kostin to be given a chance to play on the first line. So aggravating. OBVIOUSLY, I'd want him to start out on the fourth line, too. You know, the line with next to zero expectations. You say Schwartz started out on the fourth line yet is now on the first line and probably our best forward? Hmm... someone give me a time machine so we can make sure he stayed in the minors longer. First line or bust from the start.

It takes a special kind of organization to let a 6'7" goaltender leave your organization cause of Allen, and the fact you never found out what you had in Bishop. If a guy was 12 feet tall and weighed 1,400 pounds and literally left zero room in the net, we'd be the team that was starting Allen over him. Don't even try to blackmail us, we can't go any lower.
And if Kostin earns a spot, then he'll get a spot. Maroon will be in the top 9, he's not being signed for the 4th line. If you want Kostin to have a 4th line spot, it'll be available for him to earn. Don't see how that is difficult to understand.

We moved Bishop because of Halak and Elliott, and they were coming off of a record setting tandem. I would've kept Bishop, but you have to understand why they moved Bishop. It had nothing to do with Allen.

Reactions: nonzerochance

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015

If I'm a prospect and I see us sign some of these bums... I'd take it as a middle finger. We have the worst starting goalie in the league, yet -- we're also the WORST team for a goalie prospect to play for. Go figure.
I know it's a trite question, but feel the need to ask it: have you ever played hockey?

Honestly, this post (and most of your other posts) reads like someone who doesn't really understand how the game works. Not saying it's necessary to play the game in order to understand it, and there are definitely some knowledgeable posters on this site who haven't played hockey...but you just come off as a general sports fan with a strong opinion and limited knowledge.

If a guy was 12 feet tall and weighed 1,400 pounds and literally left zero room in the net, we'd be the team that was starting Allen over him. Don't even try to blackmail us, we can't go any lower.
Lol...wow

EurlichBachman

Oct 30, 2017
Chicago

Schwartz was drafted in 2010 and first played in a game late in the 11-12 season. He only played 7 games that year. Maybe Kostin will get 7 games this year with the big club, which would match Schwartz "timetable". I don't see the need to rush him along. Let these guys grow a bit together in the AHL and see what they have. Kostin is only 19, its not like hes some 25 year old who hasn't been given a chance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
I’m pretty “meh” on bringing Maroon in but if the price is cheap you can never have enough depth. I’m definitely not going to get all worked up without knowing the price and term though. I don’t see the problem in signing a player that wants to come here for under market value, ala Perron. It’s a free NHL player essentially and allows more flexibility in trading other roster players out for assets. Wonder if the blues would dare trade Steen?

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Ready and good are 2 different things. Maroon is a much better option than Blais or Sanford next season, that's not even debatable. If they prove they are apart of the best 12, then they'll have a spot. We can't fault Army for trying to ice the best possible 12 guys when you don't have to give up additional resources and they fit within the cap.

If Blais or Sanford don't make the cut, then that's on them.

If all you need to prove you are ready is NHL time , how will you ever prove you are ready if you can't get NHL time until you prove you are ready? Its a giant Catch-22. Maroon MIGHT be a better option, but Blais has more upside if we just develop him properly. We can ice an ever so slightly better team next year or we can develop players for years to come.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
Jeremy Rutherford was on Edmonton radio last week and thinks Maroon turned down $16M over 4-years from the Blues early in free agency.
oof i really hope that's not accurate and am quite happy he turned it down. way too much aav and term.

bigduga

Oct 4, 2009
I'm as excited to see what Klim Kostin can do at the NHL level as the next guy. All those guys with the "potential" to be better than Pat Maroon can either prove it in training camp and force the blues to make a roster move, or they can go marinate in SanAntonio for another season until they can get up here and be reliably better than Pat Maroon or anyone else on the roster, every day of the week.

carving out a spot for *just barely 19-year-old* Klim Kostin because you're scared he might get his feelings hurt and run back to the K' is chopping off your nose to spite your face.

What happens next time a veteran UFA you want to sign looks you in the face and asks how on earth you can guarantee you are going to do everything you can to put a stanley cup caliber team around them when you've created preferred-space on your roster for a 19 year old kid that scored less than half a point per game in the AHL last season? giving free passes onto the roster to prospects that haven't earned their NHL per diem yet reads both ways.

Reactions: GoBluz24

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If all you need to prove you are ready is NHL time , how will you ever prove you are ready if you can't get NHL time until you prove you are ready? Its a giant Catch-22. Maroon MIGHT be a better option, but Blais has more upside if we just develop him properly. We can ice an ever so slightly better team next year or we can develop players for years to come.
You prove it in practice. Game time is just proving it to fans.

Last edited:

trevorftw

Voice of Reason
Sep 7, 2009
Saint Louis
Not sure why we're debating Kostin but I think he still has something to prove in the AHL before he's called up. He gets the benefit of blaming the old AHL affiliate for last season's troubles. This year, he needs to rebound big time and show consistency until we have a forward injury and need a call up.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
You probe it in practice. Game time is just proving it to fans.

Players need that game time experience to get adjusted to the speed of a real game. Practice can't fully replicate that. Plus, how many prospects get NHL practice time if they are not game-ready? Pre-season maybe. Spot call-ups for injury. But you don't want a 21-year old kid warming the press box if you can help it.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Players need that game time experience to get adjusted to the speed of a real game. Practice can't fully replicate that. Plus, how many prospects get NHL practice time if they are not game-ready? Pre-season maybe. Spot call-ups for injury. But you don't want a 21-year old kid warming the press box if you can help it.
Coaches are able to make that determination. I'm not disagreeing that Blair isn't close, just that we shouldn't pencil him into the starting lineup. I'm sure he'll get a shot next season. You always use more than the typical 14 forwards that you start with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad