Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] Pat Maroon signs with STL (1 year, $1.75M)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Are you serious? You can't be. Carey freaking Price has a career save % of 918. Do you have ANY idea what elite goaltenders have save % wise? You can't be this clueless. Receiving breaking news from Letsgoblues91: Pekka Rinne isn't an elite goalie since he has the same career save % as Ben Bishop. Lol.

913 career save % for the Blues is awful. Brian Elliot had two seasons of .940 and .930 with the Blues. Allen is one of the few goalies, to play any substantial amount of time, to not put up gaudy numbers. You may have missed this, too, but our defense is pretty good relative to other teams. Thus... not exactly apples to apples. And even if you tried to compare that way... .919 is elite, no matter how you want to view it, career wise.

The difference between average and elite save percentage isn't massive. When you have an average save % on one of the best defensive teams, and you have the worst attitude in the league... you shouldn't be in the league.
Wow. Bishop, Rinne, etc. are elite because they have a .918 but Allen, who has comparable numbers is trash because he played for a good defensive team. Of course you ignore his .920 and when his .915 was .oo2 behind Elliott, but you have to in order to push your irrational opinion.

It is interesting to see how you personally attack anyone with a differing opinion...regardless of what they said.

On to your post after the one I quoted where you seem to imply Copley was some sort of stud. 2 games in the NHL and an .829. .896 last season in the AHL. Yep, that’s the guy who should have beat out Allen. I also enjoyed your comment about our starting goalie always sucking, as long as it has been Allen. Clearly you missed the series against Minnesota, the second half of the 16-17 season, his October, March and April splits, winning record vs. 20 of the 31 teams in the NHL. I could go on, but I’ve seen it before, a Blues fan places all blame and hate on the goalie, makes claims and then refuses to hear anything that proves him wrong.

Have a great day, head on over to the asylum to spend some time with posters with a lot in common!

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
What's your point? Pretty much no one thinks Maroon is the biggest difference maker in this offseason. But he fills a couple of needs, rounding out a great offseason. That's all. No one is saying "Wow, the Blues were trash until they signed Maroon" and yet that's what these responses seem to suggest. I see a couple of people insisting everyone else calm down for enjoying this signing. Sorry we're excited about a great offseason.

My point is exactly what I said. I don't think the Maroon signing makes us much better . I like the rest of our moves, but we still have question marks. I would have liked to keep the cap space to address those question marks if need be in other ways and I am worried about the purported extension to follow. This is a hockey-forum to discuss hockey related moves. My opinion might not be all sunshine and daisies, but I am entitled to it. Nor do I begrudge anyone theirs. I am free to offer a counter-point to their opinion, just like they are to mine. That is what a discussion is..

Also reading the general tenor from the ROR-trade thread to this one, the sentiment seems to have gotten much more positive based on this deal than it was then. Maybe that is just me reading too much into it :dunno:

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Chad Johnson just called to say if Jake falls apart, he's got your back. He thrives in those situations. And Allen will offset Chad when he slips. Telling y'all, get the Jennings ready because our Tandem is going to ROCK.

steinerecliner

May 15, 2018
And Maroon is going to earn an extension on his one-year, just watch and see. Guy can play and you're going to see a LOT of heart from him - he's now living his dream, wearing Blue and repping his hometown.

I think the whole reason for the one year is because he coming off back surgery and the team gets time to move cap space, if he proves he all good, and I believe he will because this is his home town and his family will be watching, so he going to bust ass to put on a show I think. I expect there still a move left for the Blues in a trade for a cap dump so he can be paid what he really worth.

Reactions: BlueSeal

SC2GM

May 16, 2016
Wow. Bishop, Rinne, etc. are elite because they have a .918 but Allen, who has comparable numbers is trash because he played for a good defensive team. Of course you ignore his .920 and when his .915 was .oo2 behind Elliott, but you have to in order to push your irrational opinion.

It is interesting to see how you personally attack anyone with a differing opinion...regardless of what they said.

On to your post after the one I quoted where you seem to imply Copley was some sort of stud. 2 games in the NHL and an .829. .896 last season in the AHL. Yep, that’s the guy who should have beat out Allen. I also enjoyed your comment about our starting goalie always sucking, as long as it has been Allen. Clearly you missed the series against Minnesota, the second half of the 16-17 season, his October, March and April splits, winning record vs. 20 of the 31 teams in the NHL. I could go on, but I’ve seen it before, a Blues fan places all blame and hate on the goalie, makes claims and then refuses to hear anything that proves him wrong.

Have a great day, head on over to the asylum to spend some time with posters with a lot in common!

Allen has comparable numbers. That's a good one. If Allen faced the same number of shots next season, he would have to save .942 of them to end up with a career save % of .919. Watch out Vegas, don't even be tempted to put the bet out there, these guys know peers when they see uncomparable stats!

Just like relative plus/minus is a good indicator of who sucks at playing defense... relative goalie numbers on your team gives you a pretty good idea of who is better at stopping pucks.

Hutton last season: .931 (32 games) | Brian Elliot's tenure in St. Louis: .924 (181 games)
Allen last season: .906 (59 games) | Halak's tenure in St. Louis: .916 (159 games)

In 5 years, Allen's best save % is .920 and overall he is at .913 (219 games) and trending downwards. The listed goalies, sans Allen, weren't viewed as good enough to be our number 1. What do they all have in common? Out performing Jake Allen. As bad as Bergevin is in Montreal, we're just as bad, if not worse, when it comes to managing goalies. If we would actually give our prospects a shot to play and actually ADORN the BETTER goalie, then we could actually be a serious team.

Until then, only a serious team in the eyes of people who don't understand numbers and lack common sense. People think it's cool to play the inferior players at the most important position; they also think it's cool/fine to have a petulant child stand around and point fingers at all of his team for allowing goals, while refusing to listen to Martin Brodeur because "he just needs to be him." He has some degree of athletic ability that makes him transcend what others need to do.

It's so dumb, you can't make it up. Only in our world.

Last edited:

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Allen has comparable numbers. That's a good one. If Allen faced the same number of shots next season, he would have to save .942 of them to end up with a career save % of .919. Watch out Vegas, don't even be tempted to put the bet out there, these guys know peers when they see uncomparable stats!

Just like relative plus/minus is a good indicator of who sucks at playing defense... relative goalie numbers on your team gives you a pretty good idea of who is better at stopping pucks.

Hutton last season: .931 (32 games) | Brian Elliot's tenure in St. Louis: .924 (181 games)
Allen last season: .906 (59 games) | Halak's tenure in St. Louis: .916 (159 games)

In 5 years, Allen's best save % is .920 and overall he is at .913 (219 games) and trending downwards. The listed goalies, sans Allen, weren't viewed as good enough to be our number 1. What do they all have in common? Out performing Jake Allen. As bad as Bergevin is in Montreal, we're just as bad, if not worse, when it comes to managing goalies. If we would actually give our prospects a shot to play and actually ADORN the BETTER goalie, then we could actually be a serious team.

Until then, only a serious team in the eyes of people who don't understand numbers and lack common sense. People think it's cool to play the inferior players at the most important position; they also think it's cool/fine to have a petulant child stand around and point fingers at all of his team for allowing goals, while refusing to listen to Martin Brodeur because "he just needs to be him." He has some degree of athletic ability that makes him transcend what others need to do.

It's so dumb, you can't make it up. Only in our world.

You keep saying the Blues need to give their prospects a chance to play. That is exactly what they have done with Allen. They wanted Allen to play over all those other goalies because he came in as a good prospect. Maybe letting him play in the minors a little more would allow them to work on fundamentals a little longer? Something the Blues could have done with Jake? Who's to say if Husso comes in too early and he doesn't falter like Jake?

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016
I loved Maroon on the Oilers. He played hard and was a very well liked guy. The only thing that bugged me about him was sometimes he would get tunnel vision and just make a bonehead kind of decision and draw a penalty. But other than that I'm really happy he gets to go home and be around his son. Blues fans will love him and he will earn that extension.

SC2GM

May 16, 2016
You keep saying the Blues need to give their prospects a chance to play. That is exactly what they have done with Allen. They wanted Allen to play over all those other goalies because he came in as a good prospect. Maybe letting him play in the minors a little more would allow them to work on fundamentals a little longer? Something the Blues could have done with Jake? Who's to say if Husso comes in too early and he doesn't falter like Jake?

My thing is, say we had 2 good goalie prospects, as we did then and now, then I want to see them play a lot to establish who is better and get an idea of "what you have." Jake Allen didn't come into this league as some kind of world beater. I was very intrigued by Bishop's size, personally, and I was hoping if anyone would get more games than the other, it would be Bishop. Obviously that didn't happen, and we had NO CLUE what was walking away. That's unacceptable to me.

It's bitten us in the rear so hard. Just this simple concept. We've traded asset after asset for goalies, since. Now we have Allen with a contract that no one wants to take (will cost us more assets to get rid of). There are repercussions for not making sense nor being fair to your players.

It made ZERO sense to give Allen the contract he got, when he was OUT PERFORMED by every other goalie we had... It's ridiculous how we treat this guy. We treat him like a 3 year old, mostly cause he is, but it actually factors into our thinking. Management has said stuff like "we need to let him now he's our guy. We can help him perform better by instilling that confidence in him." This isn't marriage, it's freaking professional sports. If this guy can't handle competing and earning his spot, tell him it's time to retire -- not sign a contract and be anointed the starter.

The only upside in playing Allen is giving him a chance to regain some value and showing he can act like he has a maturity level above 6 years old. Either way, done with him. If Husso and Binnington are our prospects closest to becoming "Bishop," then I'd like to see them both get a lot of playing time. If it's understood goalies take a long time to develop, yet you only give them "5 games" before making a decision on whether they should remain in the organization or not... that's a mistake...

We have a goalie vacancy going forward. We have good prospects. Play them and let them determine whether they should be "fired" or kept. It's that simple to me. We don't have Hasek in net. The risk of what we could be missing out on, performance wise, just isn't high enough.

SC2GM

May 16, 2016
My thing is, say we had 2 good goalie prospects, as we did then and now, then I want to see them play a lot to establish who is better and get an idea of "what you have." Jake Allen didn't come into this league as some kind of world beater. I was very intrigued by Bishop's size, personally, and I was hoping if anyone would get more games than the other, it would be Bishop. Obviously that didn't happen, and we had NO CLUE what was walking away. That's unacceptable to me.

It's bitten us in the rear so hard. Just this simple concept. We've traded asset after asset for goalies, since. Now we have Allen with a contract that no one wants to take (will cost us more assets to get rid of). There are repercussions for not making sense nor being fair to your players.

It made ZERO sense to give Allen the contract he got, when he was OUT PERFORMED by every other goalie we had... It's ridiculous how we treat this guy. We treat him like a 3 year old, mostly cause he is, but it actually factors into our thinking. Management has said stuff like "we need to let him now he's our guy. We can help him perform better by instilling that confidence in him." This isn't marriage, it's freaking professional sports. If this guy can't handle competing and earning his spot, tell him it's time to retire -- not sign a contract and be anointed the starter.

The only upside in playing Allen is giving him a chance to regain some value and showing he can act like he has a maturity level above 6 years old. Either way, done with him. If Husso and Binnington are our prospects closest to becoming "Bishop," then I'd like to see them both get a lot of playing time. If it's understood goalies take a long time to develop, yet you only give them "5 games" before making a decision on whether they should remain in the organization or not... that's a mistake...

We have a goalie vacancy going forward. We have good prospects. Play them and let them determine whether they should be "fired" or kept. It's that simple to me. We don't have Hasek in net. The risk of what we could be missing out on, performance wise, just isn't high enough.

It's not just about the starter position, either. If one guy clearly becomes the backup, then I want him competing with the next best prospect we have for that position. Never again should we have to consult a magic 8 ball to have an idea of who should be playing where.

Meant to edit prior post :(

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I'm going to say this and I'm not doing it to start something but to speak how I feel from what I've seen: Jake Allen, at best, is a 1B Goaltender. Why Chad got signed and why we should hopefully have Husso play a handful of games to see what we have in him. Saying that, if the Tandem is ran right and no one falls off or gets injured, it should be very effective and dangerous.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
And Maroon is going to earn an extension on his one-year, just watch and see. Guy can play and you're going to see a LOT of heart from him - he's now living his dream, wearing Blue and repping his hometown.

Maybe. I like Patty a lot, but he can go invisible if he's not paired with the correct linemates. He was great in Edmonton when ever he was with McDavid for example ... but not so good on any other line. In Anaheim it sounded like it went the same way ... good with Getzlaf and Perry but fell off big time when moved off that line.

I hope this works out for him though, have to think his agent really f***ed up.

Reactions: BlueSeal

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
this could end up being a highway robbery for STL... hopefully J. Allen as a more stable season than last year

pretty good depth up front...

Schwartz Schenn Perron
Maroon ROR Tarasenko
Fabbri Bozak Steen
Jaskin Barbashev Soshnikov

Forgot about Thomas (and Kyrou). Deep.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
nope, both are still eligible for the CHL, my guess is, they're gonna keep developing them and not rush them
Your guess is wrong.

Kyrou is going to be in the AHL if he doesn’t make the NHL team. Thomas is eligible for juniors and there is a non zero chance he goes there. That part is correct.

Opinion, Thomas has to play poorly to not make the NHL team

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Your guess is wrong.

Kyrou is going to be in the AHL if he doesn’t make the NHL team. Thomas is eligible for juniors and there is a non zero chance he goes there. That part is correct.

Opinion, Thomas has to play poorly to not make the NHL team

Extremely Poorly. There is absolutely nothing for Thomas to prove at the CHL level going forward. It would be a pretty big shock of Thomas didn't break camp with the big club.

Reactions: 67Blues

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Considering the fact Armstrong threw out possibly having Thomas center ROR and Tarasenko later in the year, yeah he’d have to get injured or show up drunk to camp to not make the team in some capacity.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Considering the fact Armstrong threw out possibly having Thomas center ROR and Tarasenko later in the year, yeah he’d have to get injured or show up drunk to camp to not make the team in some capacity.

I'm pretty sure he was kind of game planning for that by December. That's really not too far off once the season starts.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Maybe. I like Patty a lot, but he can go invisible if he's not paired with the correct linemates. He was great in Edmonton when ever he was with McDavid for example ... but not so good on any other line. In Anaheim it sounded like it went the same way ... good with Getzlaf and Perry but fell off big time when moved off that line.

I hope this works out for him though, have to think his agent really ****ed up.

Worst case scenario imo is that he's another Derek Roy... if we get 37 points out of Maroon, I'll consider the very little money he signed for well spent. I'm expecting him to be far, far better than Roy on every level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad