Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] Pat Maroon signs with STL (1 year, $1.75M)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016
Even with Allen having a subpar year last season, the Blues were 6th best in the NHL in goals against. With the stacked team in front of him, he just needs to be average and that will be enough for the Blues to be serious contenders.

This freaked me out thinking that it had posted something that I didn't type....

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
I have one question for everyone to answer. Why are we getting maroon. Dont we want to see what Thomas and Kyrou can do. Dont we have stevens and foley. Isnt our mission to get faster not slower. I just dont understand this move.

Reactions: SC2GM

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I have one question for everyone to answer. Why are we getting maroon. Dont we want to see what Thomas and Kyrou can do. Dont we have stevens and foley. Isnt our mission to get faster not slower. I just dont understand this move.

You get a big guy who is good at net stuff and will be useful depth when Fabbri blows out his knee in the preseason again

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006

You still need to go to the net and have competent play there. Part of the Blues' inability to get there last season was due to breakout/speed, but as far as I could tell, it was also due to style/choice/will. Plus, most teams aren't just going to be blazing fast top to bottom.

I'm not saying the signing will end up being that great or even good at all, but the rationale is pretty clear to me.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
You get a big guy who is good at net stuff and will be useful depth when Fabbri blows out his knee in the preseason again
What if fabbri returns to normal. We have to many young guys that are being blocked from getting chances. Hope he is worth it. He will also put us at the cap and edds hasnt been paid yet.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
What if fabbri returns to normal. We have to many young guys that are being blocked from getting chances. Hope he is worth it. He will also put us at the cap and edds hasnt been paid yet.
it's fairly obvious maroon is not only being asked to reduce his price, but most likely his role as well. fabbri can easily outplay maroon and get more ice time. maroon isn't an impediment to any of our talent. he's a specific set of tools in the blues arsenal and will be used as such. my expectations are maroon to be a fringe top 9 guy here when the blues are healthy.

steinerecliner

May 15, 2018
I guess it has to be Allen or Price. Lol.

They are not getting Price. It's Allen, Johnson, and Husso (Husso I think is the long term plan.)

They are all still developing players. There was never a for sure thing they would made the team this year. Most of them still haven't gotten to AHL levels yet. Its a situation of not putting to much on them at once. Developing them to there full potential. That is why so many players where signed one year deals on the lower half and Fabbri. Marroon is a Backes/Brower style player to get in front of the net and can score, the Blues need a guy like that and could make Allen better because he not facing so many shots per game. Foley is not close to the NHL yet. Thomas and Kyrou will get there chances because if an injury happens they be there. The whole deal is not have a last year situation. Remember all the injuries they dealt with? This year IF that would to happen where not scrambling for someone. Like trying to sign Jagr or Upshall at the last min. The Blues made themselves really deep in quality depth. This looks like a going all in season and the start of a long stretch. Last year was full of major disappointment from Owners down to fans. Everyone knew it and knew big changes had to be made and that what Doug went out and did. I feel this is Yeo's job on the line now.

Last edited:

SC2GM

May 16, 2016
I don't see what Maroon can bring that Kostin can't, except experience (big whoop). I'm uneasy with Kostin's attitude/feeling that he should have been on the Blues last season, while knowing the Blues have a fetish with signing bottom 9 players. I really don't want the KHL to even enter the guy's head.

If we're going to block prospects players from having a stint in the league, then they better be good reasons. I don't care if a prospect is unproven if a veteran has proven he is ho-hum/who freaking cares. The prospect should have to prove he sucks.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Blues are going to be a heavy team to compete with. Armstrong is going for it that's for sure.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Blues have definitely rebuilt their team from the ground up. Points for being bold this off-season. Not sure how it will all fit together on the ice though, but I giess that is always the case when you bring in so many guys counted on to play major roles at once.

steinerecliner

May 15, 2018
I don't see what Maroon can bring that Kostin can't, except experience (big whoop). I'm uneasy with Kostin's attitude/feeling that he should have been on the Blues last season, while knowing the Blues have a fetish with signing bottom 9 players. I really don't want the KHL to even enter the guy's head.

If we're going to block prospects players from having a stint in the league, then they better be good reasons. I don't care if a prospect is unproven if a veteran has proven he is ho-hum/who freaking cares. The prospect should have to prove he sucks.

This is a clearly a going all in season for the Blues. Experience is a big deal when you want playoffs and the depth the team is going to have is a big deal. Last season proved what happens when Fabbri, Stanford, and Berglund all went down. We where scrambling for players trying to sign Jagr. It's one year, Guys like Fabbri have to prove it or he's out. Jaskin, Sundqvist, and so forth signed one year deals. Nothing wrong making sure they will be developed to there full potential and not thrown into the deep end once they have there first NHL game.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Blues have definitely rebuilt their team from the ground up. Points for being bold this off-season. Not sure how it will all fit together on the ice though, but I giess that is always the case when you bring in so many guys counted on to play major roles at once.
We brought in 1 player for a major role. Perron, Bozak, and Maroon would all be supporting roles.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

If you think Kostin is NHL ready, then you are really overrating him.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Thomas and Kyrou still have to earn a spot, and there will be a spot if they earn it. Foley and Stevens aren't close to being ready.

SC2GM

May 16, 2016
This is a clearly a going all in season for the Blues. Experience is a big deal when you want playoffs and the depth the team is going to have is a big deal. Last season proved what happens when Fabbri, Stanford, and Berglund all went down. We where scrambling for players trying to sign Jagr. It's one year, Guys like Fabbri have to prove it or he's out. Jaskin, Sundqvist, and so forth signed one year deals. Nothing wrong making sure they will be developed to there full potential and not thrown into the deep end once they have there first NHL game.

All of that stuff sounds cool and what not, but at the end of the day -- your best players win you games. The Penguins were winning cause of Crosby and Malkin, not Ian Cole. The other pieces are largely interchangeable, thus inconsequential. I'd prefer to give prospects a shot to become some of our best players.

If we sign Maroon, he shouldn't get much ice time per game. He's not Reaves. He's not going to be protecting anyone anymore than Jackman was by giving everyone the stinky mitt to the face after every whistle.

That said, if it's a 1 year deal and it doesn't cause something dumb like Kyrou not having a spot, nor does Kostin lose his mind over never being able to get called up... then it's w/e I guess. As slow of a skating team as the Blues are, though, the LAST thing we need is another Lehtera. Then again, no team needs a Lehtera.

We don't have a normal GM man. Even if we sign Maroon for 1 year, the SECOND Maroon scores a goal, Armstrong is going to be trying to work his "magic" and sign him to some stupid extension at way more dollars. The guy makes good trades but is absolutely compulsive when it comes to middling NHL players. Allen is only going to be a starter because? No one will take his stupid contract. We have no choice but to hope he can play his way into having some semblance of value again. Even then, we still prob couldn't trade him cause he has the worst attitude in the league.

Can't say we're going all-in when we have to rely on an impossibility in goal. Like going all-in into the deep end without any arms.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Thomas and Kyrou still have to earn a spot, and there will be a spot if they earn it. Foley and Stevens aren't close to being ready.

Blais is ready, or very near so. He needs some experience to get adjusted and could maybe add some strength, but there is really not much left for him to learn in the AHL. The only way he gets more ready is with NHL experience. Some people think Sanford is close (I am not one of those).

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
This is the most drawn out process I've ever seen for a 30 year old bottom-6 UFA.

There's gotta be some drama behind the scenes.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Blais is ready, or very near so. He needs some experience to get adjusted and could maybe add some strength, but there is really not much left for him to learn in the AHL. The only way he gets more ready is with NHL experience. Some people think Sanford is close (I am not one of those).
Ready and good are 2 different things. Maroon is a much better option than Blais or Sanford next season, that's not even debatable. If they prove they are apart of the best 12, then they'll have a spot. We can't fault Army for trying to ice the best possible 12 guys when you don't have to give up additional resources and they fit within the cap.

If Blais or Sanford don't make the cut, then that's on them.

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
That would make it pretty tough for Thomas and or Kyrou to make the team.

Kyrou looked lost in the playoffs. Not sure what the hype is about however maybe it was too small a sample size. Wouldn't be surprised if he never made the NHL on a regular basis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad