Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] Pat Maroon signs with STL (1 year, $1.75M)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
This thread was started on Sunday it is now Tuesday and we have no official announcement are we sure this is happening

JoeThorntonsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
He switched agents, Pagnotta is reporting that it's being finalized now and to be official later this afternoon. 1 year $1.75 million.

That’s such a steal. He’s 30 years old, scored 85 points in the last two regular seasons, and punches faces. How on earth did Antoine Roussel get 3X4 after never scoring 30 points in his career and Maroon only gets $1.75X1?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
That’s such a steal. He’s 30 years old, scored 85 points in the last two regular seasons, and punches faces. How on earth did Antoine Roussel get 3X4 after never scoring 30 points in his career and Maroon only gets $1.75X1?
Possible hand-shake agreement on an extension in January? I know he wants to be in St. Louis to spend more time with his kid who's mom he is no longer with. That's probably worth it to him to pass up on more money somewhere else.

Reactions: flyersfan187

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Possible hand-shake agreement on an extension in January? I know he wants to be in St. Louis to spend more time with his kid who's mom he is no longer with. That's probably worth it to him to pass up on more money somewhere else.

Note that I'm not salty here - I like that he's going to get to go home and be closer to his kid - but is this sort of handshake agreement 'legal' under the CBA?

Big risk for a guy coming off back surgery - if he re-injures himself before he can sign the extension what happens?

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

Stl is a hot bed market for FAs ;)

This is most likely all that we could offer him. This is also more than likely the only place he wanted the be.

Crazy both Maroon and Perron are taking discounts to come here. Doug had done wel this offseason. Painted a clear vision to ownership and free agents and made it happen. Well done. I'm still assuming someone has to go from the forward group this season or next offseason.

Reactions: nonzerochance

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Note that I'm not salty here - I like that he's going to get to go home and be closer to his kid - but is this sort of handshake agreement 'legal' under the CBA?

Big risk for a guy coming off back surgery - if he re-injures himself before he can sign the extension what happens?
I'm not saying there is a handshake agreement, it would be one of those eye-wink non-binding agreements, so if Maroon busts, he wouldn't get an extension. Probably more frowned upon, but nothing illegal about it unless there is something in writing, then it would be obvious cap circumvention. If it turns out Maroon does get a significant extension, then I could see the NHL looking at it closer.

It's all pure speculation on my part.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
hm stupid of him to settle for such a small amount and for only 1 year, this shoulda been his big deal

agreed that he probably has an agreement to sign a longer heavier contract but you never know what could happen in one year

Reactions: Morrison

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Excellent contract for the Blues, they get to see how he fits in and then offer an extension based on that (if they want to keep him).

For Maroon it's not a great deal financially but i guess he really wants to play there.

steinerecliner

May 15, 2018
Glad it's official. Hell of a deal too, he coming off a back surgery but still low risk on money and term with a lot of upside for the deal. I don't care where he fits in, the pre season and coaches can deal with that, all I know is the Blues look strong this year and deep in depth. Hats off to Doug this off season because he did a hell of a job. He knew changes needed to be made and he did it.

Reactions: shpongle falls

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Schwartz-Schenn-Perron
Fabbri (if healthy)-O'Reilly-Tarasenko
Steen-Bozak-Thomas
Maroon-Barbashev-Soshnikov
Jaskin/Thorburn

That's a nice looking lineup, which doesn't include Kyrou.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
man I don't know the guy personally but this is a stupid contract to sign, so much risk, you have to take the money when is offered, he is no superstar.

That being said, glad to have him our team is better with him on it.

If we assume that 4x4 speculation is true, then he did mess up and he knows that, but I'm really skeptical that's accurate. It's entirely possible nobody actually made a very good offer. If a team he didn't really want to play for offered him closer to 3 million per for two or three years, I can understand taking the risk. Consider that he's confident he'll be the same player in a year and can get a good, longer term contract; but he'd rather not spend two or three years on a worse team, completely tank his value, and be forced to finish his career on trashy one year deals from anybody who will take him.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Seems he's taking a bit of a gamble on himself but i have a feeling Maroon will do well with the Blues and this season will result in a multi year deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad