Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
I also wonder if both players knew that the other guy was doing the same thing, or if they were alone in their negotiations. You'd assume they are in on the plan with STL. But negotiations are private, so maybe they thought they were the only one doing this to Edmonton.
This is actually an interesting point and really changes the calculus. If you're Holloway and think you were alone in being presented the OS, (and you don't want to leave Edmonton you just want a pay raise), you think "2.2, they'll match."

Knowing Broberg was also offered means the likelihood of not being back if Edmonton feels like have to choose one or the other becomes much higher.

Reactions: banks

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
If I would have to bet, Broberg would be let go first from the two of these guys. Holloway is probably easier to swallow.

Bowman has to show his worth immediately, love it. Good dagger immediately for the hire. Some offsesason action.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
This is actually an interesting point and really changes the calculus. If you're Holloway and think you were alone in being presented the OS, (and you don't want to leave Edmonton you just want a pay raise), you think "2.2, they'll match."

Knowing Broberg was also offered means the likelihood of not being back if Edmonton feels like have to choose one or the other becomes much higher.
Would have been interesting to see Holloway’s WTF moment when he found out Broberg was offered double what he was

Reactions: HabsQC and banks

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I still think it's weird how Armstrong has been an almost perfect GM, yet he insisted on slamming their window of contention shut by doing everything in his power to dump Pietrangelo. That'll always be a black mark on an otherwise great tenure

You're misinformed on the Petro situation but we don't need to get into that in this thread. The offer to Petro was more than fair but he chose the bright lights instead.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Overpaying like that is not exactly brilliant.

Also, Broberg receiving a Brinks truckload of cash before he was even able to be a regular on a weak blue squad does not meet the "show me" definition by any metric.

Unless you mean...

The cap doesn’t matter for the Blues right now hardly at all. We have 4-5 contracts to run out in those 2 years. Faulk, Krug, Binner, Leddy and Saad.

What’s more beneficial with the cap space, getting a look at two young recently top half of the 1st round players who are NHL ready, or nickel and diming our way to accrue mid round picks by helping other teams get better?

If Broberg and Holloway don’t work out the cost was 13m over 2 years in real money and a 2nd and 3rd. If they do work out, we’ve filled a massive gap in our prospect pool with Broberg and potentially added pieces that we can re-sign as we’re planning to turn the corner.

The 2nd and 3rd are pretty meaningless with as deep as our prospect pool is currently. Given the route we’ve been going, this offseason has been great. Having 9 picks - dumping Hayes - bringing in Texier, both Josephs, Faska, potentially Broberg and Holloway for 2 2nds and a 3rd is pretty good value.

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
It is offseason, you can be over the cap right now. They can make trades to manoeuvre if need be.
Yeah but of they sign both now they will be 7% over which is against the cap rules.

They don't think Broberg is worth the ridiculous sheet they just sent him - They just know Edmonton can't match the offer because of their horribly mismanaged CAP that idiot Holland left behind.

Pluck a couple young players with potential to grow for money....which apparently the owner has said is a-ok!. Weird you are seeing desperation by St. Louis....it's literally the exact opposite.
Honestly its avtually smart as sheet

Reactions: HabsQC

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Edmonton can match on Holloway even if they are 350k over as they have until I believe opening night to be cap compliant and can exceed the cap by 10% during the offseason.

Match Holloway, LTIR Kane later, done and done.

Reactions: HabsQC

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Idk if Broberg's value at 4.5 is more than a second. He's an exciting question mark, but it's a steep number for a question mark.
Neither player is worth the contract they were offered, that’s kind of the point of another sheet. You sign players to contracts they force the teams hand. The Blues have the extra cap space to burn without thinking twice about how these two perform.

Edmonton hired one of the least respected GMs, they have huge contracts coming up with little cap space, and they want to become a Stanley Cup contender. As an opponent why wouldn’t you try to dismantle their depth if you have the resources necessary.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Oh nooooo, they will be making millions of dollars but other players in the room who are also making millions will be in their fee fees. How sad. :(

Or more likely, hockey players aren’t as soft as fans on message boards. Their job is to play a game and make as much money as they can during their relatively short careers, they’re not there to make fans happy about their team’s cap situation. f***in deal with it.
I’m not talking about fans, Im talking about the players in the Oilers dressing room, a collection of guys who are close to and doing everything they can to realize a lifelong dream. If young guys want to chase bags instead of being apart of that, it’s their right and I’m sure guys can understand that in a lot of situations. But in this case, you’ve got young players doing something that players almost never do, which could directly hinder the teams ability to maneuver the cap in a season that’s most likely one of the best chances most of the guys in the room will ever have at winning a Stanley Cup. I think it’s fair to say guys might be a little upset at a kid with less then a full season strong arming his way into a 4.6M cap hit in that season.

You kind of have to respect Broberg for it because it’s such a stupid amount of money it would be hard to say no to that but the Oilers don’t need to be paying a bottom pairing defender with 80 NHL games almost 5M dollars.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Okay but Broberg has done fudge all to be offered 3.5 mill either. Blues are doing this to buy a player that’s it. No contender gives 4.5 mill to a player who looked okay for 10 games.
One more season of Ceci + a 2nd round pick or retain Broberg. I'm keeping the 23 year old with top 4 potential, considering Ceci is gone in a year anyway and better suited as a 3rd pair guy.

I'm sure the Oilers made an offer, if Broberg wasn't interested in signing he should've been dealt, strong chance they'll lose a player with high upside for pennies on the dollar now. Their hand is forced, it never should have got to this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016
Peter Chiarelli always causing problems with the Oilers. Guy is still salty.

If I'm Oilers you keep Broberg. Holloway can be replaced

HighLifeManIsHigh

McDave is a loser lol
Feb 27, 2006
I’m not talking about fans, Im talking about the players in the Oilers dressing room, a collection of guys who are close to and doing everything they can to realize a lifelong dream. If young guys want to chase bags instead of being apart of that, it’s their right and I’m sure guys can understand that in a lot of situations. But in this case, you’ve got young players doing something that players almost never do, which could directly hinder the teams ability to maneuver the cap in a season that’s most likely one of the best chances most of the guys in the room will ever have at winning a Stanley Cup. I think it’s fair to say guys might be a little upset at a kid with less then a full season strong arming his way into a 4.6M cap hit in that season.

You kind of have to respect Broberg for it because it’s such a stupid amount of money it would be hard to say no to that but the Oilers don’t need to be paying a bottom pairing defender with 80 NHL games almost 5M dollars.
The guy requested a trade. He literally doesn’t want to play in Edmonton and another team offered him over 9 million smacks over the next two years. Do you blame him for signing the offer sheet?

I know Oilers fans are all about this “veterans are tripping over themselves to sign with a contender”, but you need to realize that this might be the only chance Broberg ever has to make millions of dollars.

If the Oilers match and guys in the room act like a bunch of cancerous babies that just pissed their pants, then that says a lot about their culture

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
You are allowed to be 10 percent over the cap in the offseason but have to be cap compliant when it starts. Then you go into LTIr. You can’t start the season in LTIR. Teams get around this by icing less players
Actually a player can start the season on LTIR. There are two different sets of rules one for in-season LTIR and one for preseason LTIR. The differences are subtle.

Reactions: m1a2lt

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
The players in the Oilers dressing room don't need to be reminded that their fellow players are actual people, with responsibilities, families, and a short window to maximise their earnings as an athlete. More than a few of those guys played with Klefbom, who fortunately for him, had signed a nice contract before his career ended unexpectedly.

The Oilers dressing room understands. It's fans that need constant reminder that the players are people first, not commodities.

Last edited:

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
uuuhhhhhhhh......
IMG_5687.jpeg

Can’t fault a guy for going where he’s gonna make the most money, amirite? 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad