Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I would not want a player on my team who didn't want to win the Cup never mind one who is willing to risk making less money not to win. There's no way you can think that makes sense- absolutely none.

And that was, in hindsight, a terrible choice.
Players want to win, but it’s not the final puzzle piece for everyone. Players also need financial security for life.

in hindsight, it was the perfect decision for Kuzmenko. He got paid handsomely by showing he wasn’t a byproduct of other players.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I would not want a player on my team who didn't want to win the Cup never mind one who is willing to risk making less money not to win. There's no way you can think that makes sense- absolutely none.

And that was, in hindsight, a terrible choice.
You are using an imaginary 90 point season to decide Holloway has somehow left money on the table. He has never at any point as a prospect or in his time as a pro shown the potential to become a 90 point player....and there is no assurances that he would be anything more then a 3rd line forward with Edmonton. You are talking out of your ass.

Oil Spill

Net Detective
Jan 21, 2013
Let Holloway walk, Lavoie or Savoie could replace him. Sign Broberg and Trade Ceci ltir, Kane and worry about the cap once Kane is close to healed.

Reactions: bert

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I wonder if the Blues even really want Holloway, or if it is part of gamesmanship to get Broberg? If they didn't make the OS to Holloway, and we could get him for around 1.2 - 1.5 like we were expecting, it would be easier to match the OS on Broberg, but having that extra 1M going to Holloway, if we match, makes it harder to match the Broberg OS. I wonder if Armstrong isn't trying to outsmart Bowman here, and is using Holloway as pawn to increase the odds of the Broberg deal not being matched.

I believe soo too. Armstrong stated a few months ago you only make the offer sheet if you think it will be successful. Getting Holloway for a 3rd is a no brainer but the flip side is you have to know Edmonton is matching on that Holloway offer. Thus, the offer made to force the hand on the main target Broberg.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Let Holloway walk, Lavoie or Savoie could replace him. Sign Broberg and Trade Ceci ltir, Kane and worry about the cap once Kane is close to healed.
They can technically match and fit everyone in without having to trade anyone. But they’d be running a 20 man roster and have to abuse emergency call ups which wouldn’t be ideal but it’s an option.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
Man, the pressure to live up to that contract Broberg signed would be “Nurse-esque” in Edmonton so I can’t see how they match that

The pressure won’t be nearly as intense in sleepy St. Louis
Holloway you keep..he’s overpaid but that’s 3rd line money
Sleepy st. Louis huh. Just won a cup and the parade was of the chain. 600k showed up and we didnt even destroy anything. Wheres your cup recently

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
It’s St. Louis, we wouldn’t even hear about pressure on broberg
He is going to be playing second pair here so we good. Besides krug is ltir only difference is we had 8 mil cap left and will have 8 mil when he goes ltir

Reactions: Bgav

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
who f***ing cares

the Cardinals rule that city, not the Blues
Bro how the heck you know. Actually more people bleed blue. Cardinals havent had great attendance numbers blues a re.generally sold out every game just about

Not really. The Blues have a huge following in STL.
I love how crazed canadians think they know about us here lol.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Bro how the heck you know. Actually more people bleed blue. Cardinals havent had great attendance numbers blues a re.generally sold out every game just about

I love how crazed canadians think they know about us here lol.
ask any player who's played in the NHL and the difference in coverage between the US and Canada
not saying the Blues don't have a good fan base...but the spotlight in Canada is far more intense

Not really. The Blues have a huge following in STL.
are they bigger than the Cards?

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
I would take the compensation if I was the Oilers GM. Otherwise how can you ask McDavid/Draisaitl/Bouchard to take discounts when non core players on the team are getting overpayments. Work instead on creating a culture of players wanting to play for the Oilers to win cups.

Reactions: WhataKnight

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Glad you mentioned Klingberg, he was the first name that came to mind. Holloway won't quite fumble a $56M bag but he could've been 24, potentially a PPG player thanks to the McDrai bump, and an RFA in a $~90M cap world. That would have easily netted him $9M per year on a longer term deal (Necas just got $6.5M @ 0.7 PPG Konecny $8.75M for 0.9 PPG). Now he's playing on a team with no lack of wingers and just one PPG center.

If the difference is $7M for say ~50 points in STL and $9M after 82 in EDM, that's a $14M loss over a seven-year contract. Hopefully Dylan has a good money manager in his corner, because that's the only way he will ever make such a huge sum back.
Holloway a point per game player!!!!
In that case Edmonton should have locked him up long term on an 8 year deal.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
I think vets on cheap deals contribute more.
Broberg and hollaway are the perfext age for this young team our vetts are buchy schenn saad parayko faulk. Thats good enough young players are needed.

Holloway a point per game player!!!!
In that case Edmonton should have locked him up long term on an 8 year deal.
He has potential for second 3rd.line scoring. We will take him

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
A welcome back headache for Stan Bowman. I really do think GMs aren’t gonna think twice pulling moves like this on Stan then they would with others.
Why do people keep saying this? What exactly did Bowman do that would create high level resentment towards him from other GM’s?

I think people have developed their own narrative as to what knowledge and involvement Bowman actually had. A website called “Heavy Hockey” gives a good summary of the independent findings from Jenner & Block after investigating the matter. He believed the President of the Blackhawks - John McDonough - was the one that would handle everything at the time…. Which should have been the case.

Now granted, as time passed and nothing was addressed, there were opportunities to expose the situation that he never took, but it’s not like he witnessed it take place in person or was doing anything malicious, he was just silent and waiting for someone higher up the management chain to handle it first. Most of the GM’s in the league would have played it the same way I’m guessing. But hindsight is 20/20 around here, so I’m sure I’ll be told otherwise.

The way some people spout opinions about Bowman, it’s like he was the dude diddling Beach.

I guarantee you the majority of GM’s give approximately zero f***s about how Bowman handled things and instead are just glad it wasn’t them in the same situation.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
ask any player who's played in the NHL and the difference in coverage between the US and Canada
not saying the Blues don't have a good fan base...but the spotlight in Canada is far more intense

are they bigger than the Cards?

IMO I think the Cardinals have a much bigger casual fan base than the Blues but the Blues have a much larger diehard fans than the Cardinals. Just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad