Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Doug Armstromg seemingly not caring about landing on Stan Bowman's shitlist is my favourite part so far. I think too many GMs shy away from upsetting their rivals sometimes.
I think offer sheets are rare because it always has to involve overpaying a player for it to happen. If they don't involve overpayments, they get matched. GM's typically don't like overpaying for players, so the odd time that a player is available to offer sheet, and fits in the long term plans of a team with cap space, is likely minimal.

I also expect that teams talk to players about offer sheets far more regularly than we hear about, as we only hear about them after they have been signed by the player.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Well this is something.

I match the Holloway offer without flinching.

Broberg can walk, even though I liked what I saw from him in the playoffs, but 4.5 mil is too much and that 2nd should be around the 45th pick, so I can live with that. 6 months ago HF would have had considerable doubt that Broberg would even fetch a 2nd on the open market. I’d rather keep the player, but I can live with that compensation.
I think this is a fair way of looking at it, but puts the Oil in a bind for this season. Those are two guys the Oilers were going to play 10+ minutes a night with Holloway (they'll match, but bad blood will exist between player and club). And Broberg is someone I suspect they were counting on for 17+ minutes a night.

You'll be right that Holloway gets matched and Broberg is now a St Louis Blue. The mid 2nd rounder seems fair as compensation given his tiny NHL window of success relative to when/where he was drafted. That said... that window of tiny success was the most recent playoff run, where he did impress and outplay expectations handily. So it's probably real painful for the Oilers to lose him for this mission critical season. Who is his replacement for those 17+ minutes a night?

The 2nd and 3rd picks picks the Blues would trade away are nothing to them so the structure of these offer sheets is very provocative and toxic. Holloway probably won't be an Oiler after these two years expire. He looked 0.0% excited to be drafted by them way back when that draft happened.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Broberg for only a second rounder and Holloway for only a third. Nasty for the Oilers. They have to figure out a way to match. Those guys are young and showing they will be really good.
I wouldn't say "really good", that's a bit premature.
But def legit upside.
Def

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
Puts the Oilers in a real bind. Their D was already pretty thin, and now will need either Stecher or Brown to play a regular shift on their bottom pair.

1723563247815.png

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
I think offer sheets are rare because it always has to involve overpaying a player for it to happen. If they don't involve overpayments, they get matched. GM's typically don't like overpaying for players, so the odd time that a player is available to offer sheet, and fits in the long term plans of a team with cap space, is likely minimal.

I also expect that teams talk to players about offer sheets far more regularly than we hear about, as we only hear about them after they have been signed by the player.
That could be part of it. I think more so older GMs would blacklist newer GMs into not breaking "unwritten GM rules" which leads to fewer offer sheets being thrown around

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Like I said earlier, players want other players to get paid. They don't care for the cap gymnastics, it's up to the GM to get the team to be good enough.

Maybe there is an instance, where everyone takes a paycut on a given team, this would raise some eyebrows. The Oilers are not that, unless Draisaitl signs some huge bargain deal and McDavid follows it up.
The oilers are absolutely that. What do you think Henrique, Skinner etc just did?

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
Newsflash: this is not how it works. Every player wants other players, especially their teammates, to get paid. It's up to the GM to construct a cup-calibre team, not up to the players to take massive discounts and give up money if they have the chance to grab it.

Guess what the Oilers and their locker room can do to offset these deals? Sign Draisaitl to another long term deal for less than 10M per. And if he won't do it, would the fans and the other players hate him too?
Every guy in that room knew how close they were to a cup, anyone jeopardizing that goal should be axed from the team IMO. I would take the picks for both of them, they signed those with complete awareness of how this hurts the chances of their teammates.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I think Holloway signing that offersheet has likely pissed off Oilers organization including the players .. he would be rotting in Edmonton even if they matched the offer.
Greedy teammate tag

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
That said... that window of tiny success was the most recent playoff run, where he did impress and outplay expectations handily.

Hmmm, reminds me of the Kotkaniemi situation. Not playing up to draft status at all, has a good playoff and signed to a high offer sheet.

What could go wrong .....

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Pressure to perform would be
He’s making 2nd pair money now for a guy who barely played in the NHL last year
Playing in the Stanley Cup playoffs and making the finals. I think he knows pressure.

Instinctually, after only a few hours here, I’d would match Holloway and let Broberg go. You should be able to make another trade to get better, problem is not likely for someone as young.
Agreed.

Well this is something.

I match the Holloway offer without flinching.

Broberg can walk, even though I liked what I saw from him in the playoffs, but 4.5 mil is too much and that 2nd should be around the 45th pick, so I can live with that. 6 months ago HF would have had considerable doubt that Broberg would even fetch a 2nd on the open market. I’d rather keep the player, but I can live with that compensation.
Crazy what 1 year does.

Agreed

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Good luck trading away Kane with this gun to your head Oilers. Say goodbye to some high draft picks if you're able to dump his bad contact with so little leverage.

This is what offer sheets always had the potential to do. Oilers are #2 best team in the NHL and now you see the lower tier teams aiming at the vulnerable club above them.

These are the offer sheet fireworks so many of us want to see. And what a brutal blow to the Oilers in their final year to make the push before Drai either leaves or becomes the NHLs first $14MM per year player and that blows a giant hole in the depth the Oilers can put around him.

This is AWESOME! Today is a great day for NHL hockey fans not in Edmonton. Losing game seven of the finals by a goal and now this without Drai resigning yet.

Things really went off the rails at the very end of the season for the Oilers and this really complicates next season. Sweet.

Last edited:

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Good gamble for the Blues.

It sucks since both players are improving but neither are driving play by any means. The core that took them to the final remains intact.

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
That could be part of it. I think more so older GMs would blacklist newer GMs into not breaking "unwritten GM rules" which leads to fewer offer sheets being thrown around
I suspect most of those old dinosaurs are out of the league now. The only ones I could see holding a moral aversion to an offersheet might be Lou Lamoreillo, ha ha. Remember, Doug Armstrong just did this, and he's the longest tenured GM in the league (with a single team). He's as part of that "old boys club" as anyone, and he did it when he saw an opportunity that made sense for this team.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Holloway is a good bet. Broberg at that money isn't worth it, and his QO the year after would be near $5M?

Broberg developed poorly, was injured alot, and when he had the opportunity didn't make the team. Had a few good games in the playoffs but at that money, I would consider walking.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Hmmm, reminds me of the Kotkaniemi situation. Not playing up to draft status at all, has a good playoff and signed to a high offer sheet.

What could go wrong .....
How? The compensation for Kotkaniemi was 1st and 3rd round picks.

The compensation to the Oilers is a 2nd rounder for Broberg and a 3rd for Holloway. There is quite a huge delta between what the Habs got and what the Oilers would fetch to lose these guys. There is less risk to the Blues and more to Edmonton than the Habs/Hurricanes situation.

This is not an apples to apples comparison you've made.

Reactions: Leafshater67

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
I'm curious what the locker room in Edmonton thinks about the news. Seems like guys are all in on going back and keeping the band together.

Then you have two rookies who the team was likely counting on, sign for significant raises with a team that was nowhere near the SCF a few months ago.

I don't blame either player at all. Sports are a business and you have to look out for your own. But would this sour guys in the locker room, or do they just shrug it off and it's just another case of fans melting down?
Its a selfish move by two rookies, i personally don't even want them back now.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Broberg goes and Holloway stays?

That's what I'd expect. Especially after Oilers lost McLeod. But that also means the Oilers would likely need to add one of the veteran free agents still available as a depth defenseman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad