Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The guy who has ran himself out of 3 organizations already for antics and attitude? A guy who is currently injured, maybe, who knows given how him and the organization are not even close to the same page. A guy with a full no movement clause. A 33 year old with a 5+M cap hit who has been trending down for 3 years now.

If he was easy to trade, he'd already have been long gone.
I don't believe that the Oilers have ever tried to move Kane. The injuries will affect interest in him though, I do believe that.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Because after 2 years they have to give him a qualifying offer that is more than the 4.6M. Sure, its a problem for 3 years from now, but is he worth it?
Or they just let him walk? They don't have to qualify him.

There's obviously some calculous here from the Blues pro scouting group that Broberg can develop into a solid middle pair defenseman. If he does, in the August of 2026, with a rising cap, what's $5 million but pretty much average second pair money?

If Broberg bombs they walk away.

It's not without risk but I just don't think the total contract is a bad bet.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Are blues fans that excited about these players? Besides the fact that it hurts the oilers.

This hurts Edmonton more than it helps St Louis.
They probably mostly wanted Broberg. Holloway was more a move to make the acquisition of Broberg more likely as it puts the Oilers in a bigger bind if they match.
They figure that they overpay Broberg for two years and then have a chance to lock him up long term if he progresses. If not they walk away or pay him less.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Yeah actually in saying that you probably could get a similar or better D to Broberg with a 2nd + 3rd but just feels like Edmonton really needed these two contributing on cheap deals with how tight things are and waited too long to get it done. Maybe it wouldn't be achievable in Edmonton but I feel like Broberg can live up to that deal in the 2nd year, I actually think St. Louis is a really good fit for him

I think vets on cheap deals contribute more.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I always wonder why that second round pick compensation tier doesn't get used more, but I guess there could be some players who have declined the offer sheet. Usually, a team that can afford to spend that much cap on an unproven player isn't very good.

Agreed. Doing 1 year or 2 year poison pill contracts when you have cap space for even an early 2nd that has let's say 20% chance of being an NHLer.

I think Edmonton should match Holloway. That offer is not bad for what he brings…and he is worth more than a 3rd.

Then if I’m Edmonton I gladly do not match Broberg. He is not worth $4.5 and I would much rather have a 2nd instead of him.
Yep a 2nd less than 20% chance of being a good NHLEr or Broberg the 3rd or 4th best defensemen for a playoff team.

Holloway or a 3rd
Broberg or a 2nd
Man I don't want a 2nd or a 3rd for either player. I think Broberg is too much of a poison pill though for Oilers to keep.

If the rumours were true, Oilers were trying to trade Broberg last year but couldnt get a 2nd for him. Since his good brief playoff stretch the value likely has increased to a 2nd though

He had a great playoffs and probably was being offerred a low number in the cap crunch.

I would match Holloway but not Broberg if I'm the Oilers.
They'll be good enough to be in the playoffs and can get a rental who will contribute more without messing their cap situation going forward.

They might also just give away a guy like Kane and re-sign both. Another great option for them. With the additions of Skinner and Arvidsson, they wouldn't even feel it.

Agreed. It's unfortunate for Edmonton but Broberg compensation is too high.

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019
Because you can be more or less forced to play for a bad team. I don't think any RFAs on say NYR/FLA right now would want offer sheets thrown their way from say San Jose or Utah
A player has a choice on whether or not they sign an offer sheet. So no, NYR and FL players will not care about getting offer sheets from other teams they do not want to play for.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
For those unfamiliar with the Blues, this is their thinking. We are trying to get back to our 2019 identity. You can see it in our draft picks. We want pesky, possession forwards who play a 2-way game, especially in the bottom 6. We want ling, rangy D who can defend and transition, ala Bouwmeester.

We are in a retool, trying to add young players and not add old UFAs. We have cap space and no pressing needs in next 2 years. We are content to develop slowly and not spend big on UFA.

These two players fit those molds. We are gambling they reach another level of their potential. We have the cap, so we can overpay to make it more likely Edmonton passes. Then after 2 years when we are hopefully starting to be competitive, we can renegotiate deals mire in line with their value at that point. They will still be RFAs.

I like the deal and hope we get both.
Can you OS Krebs too?

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Well if I was poor and didn’t believe in myself, or if I was playing on a terrible team, I’d take the money all day.

But if I had already made over 5M from my elc and I was finding my way on a team that has a legit shot at winning the Cup, and I knew the chances are pretty good that at 23 I’ve still got some good earning years in front of me, If probably take a cheap 1-2 year deal because chances are good I might never be this close to winning again. I’d rather make a little less overall and maximize my chance of winning.
Except it's not "a little less money".

The oilers were likely offering them half of this

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Or they just let him walk? They don't have to qualify him.

There's obviously some calculous here from the Blues pro scouting group that Broberg can develop into a solid middle pair defenseman. If he does, in the August of 2026, with a rising cap, what's $5 million but pretty much average second pair money?

If Broberg bombs they walk away.

It's not without risk but I just don't think the total contract is a bad bet.
Sure, but then they just bet a 2nd round pick on a guy who didn't play well enough to earn a raise on the big contract you gave him. If they walk away because they don't want to give him a raise, it just shows that it wasn't a smart offer sheet to make.

For the record, I think Broberg will be worth it. I like him, and I think he will be a top 4 defenseman sooner than later, so it's a smart move for the Blues to me. Some Oiler fans are trying to show this as a bad signing, and I don't necessarily agree. I think it would have been a horrible cap hit for Broberg under normal circumstances, but the nature of offer sheets is that they are overpayments - they have to be, or they wouldn't be signed, or would be matched instantly. If you are going to overpay a player, doing it via an offersheet on a guy who looks ready to emerge and meet his potential is the best way to do it.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Because after 2 years they have to give him a qualifying offer that is more than the 4.6M. Sure, its a problem for 3 years from now, but is he worth it?
Really low risk for a club looking to jump start their retooling. He doesn’t perform you let him walk he performs well you lock him up

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
The guy who has ran himself out of 3 organizations already for antics and attitude? A guy who is currently injured, maybe, who knows given how him and the organization are not even close to the same page. A guy with a full no movement clause. A 33 year old with a 5+M cap hit who has been trending down for 3 years now.

If he was easy to trade, he'd already have been long gone.
Why's that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad