Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
I'm curious what the locker room in Edmonton thinks about the news. Seems like guys are all in on going back and keeping the band together.

Then you have two rookies who the team was likely counting on, sign for significant raises with a team that was nowhere near the SCF a few months ago.

I don't blame either player at all. Sports are a business and you have to look out for your own. But would this sour guys in the locker room, or do they just shrug it off and it's just another case of fans melting down?

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
giphy-59.gif

Reactions: Reality Czech

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Sounds like this has been in the works for a while. Agents likely knew this was a possibility the whole offseason.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
If the rumours were true, Oilers were trying to trade Broberg last year but couldnt get a 2nd for him. Since his good brief playoff stretch the value likely has increased to a 2nd though

The reports in the winter were that they wanted a similar age player, not a pick back.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Well this is something.

I match the Holloway offer without flinching.

Broberg can walk, even though I liked what I saw from him in the playoffs, but 4.5 mil is too much and that 2nd should be around the 45th pick, so I can live with that. 6 months ago HF would have had considerable doubt that Broberg would even fetch a 2nd on the open market. I’d rather keep the player, but I can live with that compensation.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
Broberg looked great in the playoffs, has a good draft pedigree and is still young. High upside. I think this is a great move by the blues and it’s really gonna hurt the Oilers — Broberg’s continual emergence was their best bet at getting their D above mediocre.
Holloway is a good young player too, I bet they find a way to match him.
But I guess this is what you get when you spend a bunch of dough in UFA and jam yourself up on the cap before taking care of your RFAs

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Savage play. Edm can’t match either and for sure not broberg. Bowman will have to try and trade Ceci and Kane likely to Ltir if the team wants to keep both.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I don't believe that the Oilers have ever tried to move Kane. The injuries will affect interest in him though, I do believe that.
Trying to move Kane would be like me running for Prime Minster on the RHINO ticket. Why try if the chance of success is effectively 0.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Doug Armstromg seemingly not caring about landing on Stan Bowman's shitlist is my favourite part so far. I think too many GMs shy away from upsetting their rivals sometimes.
They shy away cause it usually doesn't work they have to overpay and know there will be a good chance it will happen to them next

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Selfish move from Broberg hes not worth that. Youd think hed want to play with the best player in the world and contend for a cup. Holloway is well worth that price.

Coming after rumours of Drai and Mcdavid leaning towards team friendly deals...
New regime in Edmonton. He barely got a chance in the regular season from the GM who drafted him in the 1st round, and now that GM is gone.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I'm curious what the locker room in Edmonton thinks about the news. Seems like guys are all in on going back and keeping the band together.

Then you have two rookies who the team was likely counting on, sign for significant raises with a team that was nowhere near the SCF a few months ago.

I don't blame either player at all. Sports are a business and you have to look out for your own. But would this sour guys in the locker room, or do they just shrug it off and it's just another case of fans melting down?
Like I said earlier, players want other players to get paid. They don't care for the cap gymnastics, it's up to the GM to get the team to be good enough.

Maybe there is an instance, where everyone takes a paycut on a given team, this would raise some eyebrows. The Oilers are not that, unless Draisaitl signs some huge bargain deal and McDavid follows it up.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Why try if the team didn't want to move him? He's been a good soldier for the Oilers, aside from his injuries the last year and a bit.
Agreed, but he would not be the first cap casualty. Ceci's been a good soldier too (3rd D TOI in playoffs) and makes 2M less, but he's more likely to go because he is tradeable.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Broberg at 4.5m

Oof

From bust looking to average third pair (with good promise) to 4.5m. Huge turnaround for broberg. Congrats

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad