Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Honestly, I'm not sure if keeping Broberg at 4.5M is worth paying any assets for. He hasn't shown to be worth even half of that contract. A guy would need to be really confident that he is going to excel in a 2nd pair role starting this season for 4.5M, and while Broberg has shown the tools to be a top 4 guy, he hasn't shown the consistency or hockey IQ to be that yet. I expect the Oilers will let Broberg walk at that cap hit.

Any good UFA defensemen left that we could sign for 1M? It looks like a roster spot has opened up for Troy Stecher, so we could use a new #7, ha ha ha.
I sort of expect Edmonton to take the 2nd on Broberg. They’ll still need to figure out the cap situation with Holloway at that cap. I think Edmonton still has seven D without Broberg.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Donner

Jul 16, 2022
If the rumours were true, Oilers were trying to trade Broberg last year but couldnt get a 2nd for him. Since his good brief playoff stretch the value likely has increased to a 2nd though

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Man, the pressure to live up to that contract Broberg signed would be “Nurse-esque” in Edmonton so I can’t see how they match that

The pressure won’t be nearly as intense in sleepy St. Louis
Holloway you keep..he’s overpaid but that’s 3rd line money

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I would match Holloway but not Broberg if I'm the Oilers.
They'll be good enough to be in the playoffs and can get a rental who will contribute more without messing their cap situation going forward.

They might also just give away a guy like Kane and re-sign both. Another great option for them. With the additions of Skinner and Arvidsson, they wouldn't even feel it.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
People are again too caught up on the AAV aspect of a contract and not focusing on the total contract.

Broberg's total contract is $9.2 million. I'm no Broberg truther, but that's not a terrible bet. The Blues have cap space for the foreseeable future...why do they care if that $9.2 million is over 2 years or 4 years? If Broberg got $2.3 x 4 - the same total contract, people would think it looks like a pretty good deal. It's all the same if you are St. Louis. If Broberg does well, you'll just extend that AAV. If he sucks - the actual benefit of shorter term and higher AAV, is you get the contract off your books quicker.

The only reason the structure matters is because the Blues are trying to put Edmonton in a bind so they can obtain an asset they don't have and make what they feel like is a good bet.
Because after 2 years they have to give him a qualifying offer that is more than the 4.6M. Sure, its a problem for 3 years from now, but is he worth it?

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Ok Oilers fans.

Look what you will do. You match both OS because the compensation picks are bad. And Habs will help you out with your cap problems.

Then you trade us Ceci and Holloway for Barron, so you can fit Broberg's salary.

Deal?

Can't trade Holloway for a year after OS match.

Reactions: Benstheman

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I sort of expect Edmonton to take the 2nd on Broberg. They’ll still need to figure out the cap situation with Holloway at that cap. I think Edmonton still has seven D without Broberg.
We do have 7 NHL defensemen without Broberg, but that includes Josh Brown as one of your "NHL defensemen". I think most were hoping we could slide him through waivers to the AHL for the most part, ha ha.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
The guy who has ran himself out of 3 organizations already for antics and attitude? A guy who is currently injured, maybe, who knows given how him and the organization are not even close to the same page. A guy with a full no movement clause. A 33 year old with a 5+M cap hit who has been trending down for 3 years now.

If he was easy to trade, he'd already have been long gone.
And also a thing to add, this applies to Ceci (or whoever) they would also want to trade to create capspace: other teams know the Oilers are desperate now.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I would match Holloway but not Broberg if I'm the Oilers.
They'll be good enough to be in the playoffs and can get a rental who will contribute more without messing their cap situation going forward.

They might also just give away a guy like Kane and re-sign both. Another great option for them. With the additions of Skinner and Arvidsson, they wouldn't even feel it.
I agree with this. The only way I would consider matching on Broberg, is if we miraculously found a trade to move out Darnell Nurse in the next week. And we all know that isn't happening.

Reactions: jfhabs

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Yeah but whatever you're getting with the 2nd + 3rd round pick are going to be older and worse

Meh.

These two are replacement level players. Broberg has always been a great puck mover but his defensive awareness/skill has not improved. He will excel on a team that needs a PP QB and a great outlet pass.

Holloway is Pitlick 2.0 and I really like Pitlick. If we keep him... whatever. He's only overpaid by a $1M. Broberg is a $2M/yr player max. Good for him on signing that sweet deal.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Instinctually, after only a few hours here, I’d would match Holloway and let Broberg go. You should be able to make another trade to get better, problem is not likely for someone as young.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Meh.

These two are replacement level players. Broberg has always been a great puck mover but his defensive awareness/skill has not improved. He will excel on a team that needs a PP QB and a great outlet pass.

Holloway is Pitlick 2.0 and I really like Pitlick. If we keep him... whatever. He's only overpaid by a $1M. Broberg is a $2M/yr player max. Good for him on signing that sweet deal.
Yeah actually in saying that you probably could get a similar or better D to Broberg with a 2nd + 3rd but just feels like Edmonton really needed these two contributing on cheap deals with how tight things are and waited too long to get it done. Maybe it wouldn't be achievable in Edmonton but I feel like Broberg can live up to that deal in the 2nd year, I actually think St. Louis is a really good fit for him

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
For those unfamiliar with the Blues, this is their thinking. We are trying to get back to our 2019 identity. You can see it in our draft picks. We want pesky, possession forwards who play a 2-way game, especially in the bottom 6. We want long, rangy D who can defend and transition, ala Bouwmeester.

We are in a retool, trying to add young players and not add old UFAs. We have cap space and no pressing needs in next 2 years. We are content to develop slowly and not spend big on UFA.

These two players fit those molds. We are gambling they reach another level of their potential. We have the cap, so we can overpay to make it more likely Edmonton passes. Then after 2 years when we are hopefully starting to be competitive, we can renegotiate deals more in line with their value at that point. They will still be RFAs.

I like the deal and hope we get both.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad