Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
That's what I'd expect. Especially after Oilers lost McLeod. But that also means the Oilers would likely need to add one of the veteran free agents still available as a depth defenseman.

Likely just trot out Stecher as they already have 3 LHD. Basically the same D that was quite good in limiting goals against last year, Stecher in for Desharnes is a little drop. But with the likelihood of Nurse/Ceci/Kulak/Ekholm suffering from minor age related decline, its just not likely to be as good. Mind you they upped their forward lines, so if they can get through all this and call the changes a wash, they are still in a good position to compete for the cup. Makes them older, but you have to sacrifice that for a cup.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
They may keep Holloway at that AAV, but he'll have done some damage to himself within the organization for signing a deal at the very highest end of a meager 3rd round pick return.

That could bother both his teammates and I'm certain it irks the owner and GM. Right or wrong, it will be perceived as a hostile move by the player.

And Broberg might as well fly to St Louis today. Oilers can't and shouldn't match that.
No it wont. Players know its business and these guys have made peanuts so far. Kesler was not perceived hostile for signing his offer sheet, neither was Weber or Sakic. You are making things up.

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
Why shouldn't a rookie be allowed to earn the market rate for his services? Just because they are younger players doesn't mean they should have to forfeit 1M+ dollars just so guys like Nurse can make twice what he's worth.
Its about the TEAM, especially when the team was 1 win away from the Stanley Cup. I don't care if they think they should be paid more, this was a potential once in a lifetime opportunity for them to be paid less for a year to win a championship, guys like Skinner/Arvidsson/Henrique who have paid dues a hell of a lot longer have bought into the TEAM. These two rookies have not, and id rather they get let go at this point.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I'm curious what the locker room in Edmonton thinks about the news. Seems like guys are all in on going back and keeping the band together.

Then you have two rookies who the team was likely counting on, sign for significant raises with a team that was nowhere near the SCF a few months ago.
If the team was counting on bringing the band back together, maybe they shouldn't have signed Jeff Skinner and Victor Arvidsson to a combined $7M?

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
Here's where we likely are with it. We know and accept that our fate is to suck for a few years before hopefully a strong 2023 draft class leads them back into contention. Everything seems on track for this plan except we don't know if we have the right D in our system. Jiricek and Lindstein and Kessel need to overachieve and/or we need to get lucky. Sound familiar?

So ordinarily what would worry me here is Armstrong has a tendency to throw good money after bad once he makes a bold move (for example obviously obviously obviously you expose Krug to Seattle instead of Dunn but he was committed), and so he wouldn't want to let Broberg go in a couple years if it doesn't work out, which it might or might not. However since Steen is taking over as GM at the same time this contract would be up if the Oilers don't match, I don't think we are worried he will feel locked into any Armstrong mistake. As for the player himself he has been put into plenty of offers toward us over the years and we have not been excited. However, we are open to new info when it arrives and he did play solidly in the Final, which suggests he may have now another level to his confidence, and in a young player that might make all the difference in his trajectory. On Broberg we are probably hoping they don't match so we can experiment. We are definitely most excited to not spend any time this season having to watch a slow little waterskiing squirt who can't hit the net from 20 feet on a slapshot play any hockey for us. That is first and foremost. This signing means we are not getting that even if the Oilers do match.

As for Holloway, it feels like the Oilers might match that one, but we are sooooo much more worried about or defense than our offense, we have a lot of strong offense about to emerge from the pipeline next 1-2 years
I don't love it for the Blues, but I get the logic of spending cap space on players in their early 20's with upside rather than pissing away Thomas and Kyrou's prime's waiting 3-5 years for draft picks to make an impact. It's risky, but at least they're giving themselves a path to winning.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Its about the TEAM, especially when the team was 1 win away from the Stanley Cup. I don't care if they think they should be paid more, this was a potential once in a lifetime opportunity for them to be paid less for a year to win a championship, guys like Skinner/Arvidsson/Henrique who have paid dues a hell of a lot longer have bought into the TEAM. These two rookies have not, and id rather they get let go at this point.
Yes and I am sure you would pass up millions of dollars and a life changing contract too, just because of the "team." The Oilers could of dealt with this months ago and didnt. This is all business.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
It's their careers.

Again, why is it okay for young players to be exploited like this while guys like Nurse are an absolute anchor on the books?

If it was really about the team, maybe Nurse should retire?

These two guys were major factors during the Oilers run, and what does Edmonton do? Go out and sign 2 UFAs with the money they should've given them.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Why shouldn't a rookie be allowed to earn the market rate for his services? Just because they are younger players doesn't mean they should have to forfeit 1M+ dollars just so guys like Nurse can make twice what he's worth.
The NHLPA clearly made the choice when they agreed to the most recent CBA to limit young player salaries so that older players can make more.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
What the Oilers did was sign both Skinner and Arvidsson. Sure, it looks great on paper, but the Oilers forward group was already top notch and now they have moved out 2 young players who may have been able to extend their window.
You think the Oilers should have given Broberg 4.5 million and Holloway 2.3 million? Those are awful contracts for what those guys have done so far. They might be good if Holloway can ever stay healthy for more then 20 games in a row and Broberg proves he can play consistent over a long stretch of games. I don't blame the Oilers one bit for not heavily overpaying unproven players contracts they don't deserve. Even if the Oilers had tons of cap space, they shouldn't have offered those contracts. We will see if they decide to overpay and match either of those contracts.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
A late first is pretty close in value to a mid second and third. Compensation is close.
Except it's not 1 for 1 player swap.

It's Kotkaniemi + 3rd round pick for Broberg + Holloway.

It's just NOT even close really. Carolina paid a lot more to get Kotkaniemi (1st + 3rd) than the Blues would pay for Broberg (2nd) and Holloway (3rd).

The first round pick in the 20ths is worth a lot more than a 2nd round pick in say.. 50th overall.

In the 2024 draft, the Avs traded away a late 1st round pick for a high 2nd rounder (38th) and high 3rd rounder (71) and a 2nd rounder in the next draft (assume late 2nd). A late 1st fetched the Avs two 2nds and a high 3rd. One of the seconds was in the 30s.

I'm sorry, but this isn't really a debate. I'm just right on this one. It's not apples to apples with the Kotkaniemi offer sheet. The Blues did a really good job here. They really screwed the Oilers over with this offersheet.

Last edited:

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
100 percent agree.

These aren’t market rates for these guys though. They have 81 and 89 of nhl history and a sketchy history at that.

Holloway is a wreckless player and get hurt because of a lack of control over his body and Broberg showed nothing over 70 games until the playoffs and even then by the finals he was sucking air.

Broberg had a lot of promise but over the years had fallen in the organizations depth chart. He wanted out for more playing time. He’s going to get that in STL. Can’t fault him there.

I was not high on either player. So I don’t think of this as a big loss. Savour or lavoie comes in and replaces Holloway probably without missing a beat. We don’t know what Broberg we are replacing yet the one who showed up in the play offs for 10 games or the Broberg who couldn’t crack the worst D in the league for 3 years and to be fair we had no where to play Broberg. All pencil lineups had him playing his wrong side.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Rough start for Bowman.
Looks like that poll ranking the fans faith in management of the various teams may have been on to something.
Will be interesting to see how he navigates the rest of the off season after failing to lock up at least one of these players earlier on.
St. Louis obviously saw the Oilers as being vulnerable and struck.

Reactions: Fatass

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
100 percent agree.

These aren’t market rates for these guys though. They have 81 and 89 of nhl history and a sketchy history at that.

Holloway is a wreckless player and get hurt because of a lack of control over his body and Broberg showed nothing over 70 games until the playoffs and even then by the finals he was sucking air.

Broberg had a lot of promise but over the years had fallen in the organizations depth chart. He wanted out for more playing time. He’s going to get that in STL. Can’t fault him there.

I was not high on either player. So I don’t think of this as a big loss. Savour or lavoie comes in and replaces Holloway probably without missing a beat. We don’t know what Broberg we are replacing yet the one who showed up in the play offs for 10 games or the Broberg who couldn’t crack the worst D in the league for 3 years and to be fair we had no where to play Broberg. All pencil lineups had him playing his wrong side.
The market rate is what someone else is willing to pay, so these actually are their market rates.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
After their rookie contracts are expired?
While they are still Restricted Free Agents, yes. The restrictions on players under 27 years of age make it so that those players don't have much leverage in contract negotiations which serves to limit their earning potential.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
They may keep Holloway at that AAV, but he'll have done some damage to himself within the organization for signing a deal at the very highest end of a meager 3rd round pick return.

That could bother both his teammates and I'm certain it irks the owner and GM. Right or wrong, it will be perceived as a hostile move by the player.

And Broberg might as well fly to St Louis today. Oilers can't and shouldn't match that.

But a 2nd round pick around 50th overall isn't much of a return for him given how he was likely to be deployed in a 4th-5th D role this season.
Just walk from them. Holloway has an immediate replacement in savoie in the minors.

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
It's their careers.

Again, why is it okay for young players to be exploited like this while guys like Nurse are an absolute anchor on the books?

If it was really about the team, maybe Nurse should retire?

These two guys were major factors during the Oilers run, and what does Edmonton do? Go out and sign 2 UFAs with the money they should've given them.

I disagree on the major factors part.

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
I hate this narrative. You're telling me that 2 players who have not made really anything yet should turn down life-changing amounts of money because of loyalty to the Oilers?
They can do what they want, it doesn't change the fact they have harmed their teammates and I don't want them back.
Yes and I am sure you would pass up millions of dollars and a life changing contract too, just because of the "team." The Oilers could of dealt with this months ago and didnt. This is all business.
For one year to win a cup I absolutely would, especially when the difference is 2m instead on 1 for a year or 4m instead of 2. At some point you have to realize this is bigger than money, and if money is all they want they can get lost.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

But a 2nd round pick around 50th overall isn't much of a return for him given how he was likely to be deployed in a 4th-5th D role this season.
Tampa just let Stamkos walk after 16 seasons despite a PPG+ season.

If it's a business for the teams, it's a business for the players too. And that's fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad