Blue Jays Discussion: Steve Pearce: comeback machine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
oh no not Castro AND Hoffman. the horrors.

Hoffman was a 1st round pick made by AA. Even so my point was that AA traded for Tulo in order to rid himself of the mistake he made acquiring Reyes. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I would argue AA's aversion to drafting hitters is why we are here now. We went way to heavy with arms in the draft.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
AA just traded top prospects for veterans for immediate success. He left us with one of the oldest MLB team, and not a whole lot in terms of prospects. AA gave us a terrific season. And I suspect he knew in July he was leaving so he threw caution to the wind.

AA was largely insignificant.

This message is less for you, Yung Cor, and more directed to the thread in general.

I hate to be Zeke-ian in nature, but of the orgs top ten most valuable assets, 8 are AA's.

1. Sanchez
2. Stroman
3. Osuna
4. Guerrero
6. Travis
7. Alford
8. SRF
9. Jansen

While 2 are Atkins': 5. Bo, 10. Gurriel Jr

As always, this argument tends to get too extreme on one side or the other. He was a fine GM, who's team scouted, drafted and developed pitching well. Got a little lucky with Bautista/Encarnacion, got better with his trades over time, and has essentially one material F up (Dickey). Back to back ALCS's and a full farm system are his legacy. Complaining about his tenure is as ill informed as it is petulant.

Similarly, blaming Atkins or Shapiro for the current state of the team is equally as ill informed and petulant.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Even if they add (let's say) an extra 5 wins, then the Jays would be 48-47 and not even in a wildcard spot despite adding another ~260m in commitments. This is what spinning the wheels looks like.

feel free to subtract 100+m in other useless commitmments to your equation.

And sure, the most historic regular season run, I'll give you that. But that offence wasn't WAMCO.

better than wamco.

93 v 15 wrc+

Olerud 179 -------- Donaldson 154
Molitor 144 ------- Encarnacion 150
Alomar 142 ------- Bautista 148
Fernandez 114 -- Colabello 142
White 109 --------- Travis 135
Carter 108 --------- Martin 114
Henderson 90 ---- Revere 102
Sprague 85 -------- Pillar 93
Borders 72 --------- Tulowitzki 91

Knorr 98 -------- Smoak 108
Coles 85 -------- Carrera 90
Ward 59 --------- Goins 84
Jackson 56 ---- Navarro 84
Schofield 49 ---- Pompey 81

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I would argue AA's aversion to drafting hitters is why we are here now. We went way to heavy with arms in the draft.

That is a valid criticism that we have raised in here before. I will say however that given his scouting teams' inability to hit on position players early in their drafting makes me happy they went heavy on the arms. That way, you accrue actual usable assets (I.e. Nolin, Graveman, Jairo, Comer, etc.) that can be moved rather than useless assets (I.e. Anderson, Davis, Sweeney, Hawkins).

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
This message is less for you, Yung Cor, and more directed to the thread in general.

I hate to be Zeke-ian in nature, but of the orgs top ten most valuable assets, 8 are AA's.

1. Sanchez
2. Stroman
3. Osuna
4. Guerrero
6. Travis
7. Alford
8. SRF
9. Jansen

While 2 are Atkins': 5. Bo, 10. Gurriel Jr

As always, this argument tends to get too extreme on one side or the other. He was a fine GM, who's team scouted, drafted and developed pitching well. Got a little lucky with Bautista/Encarnacion, got better with his trades over time, and has essentially one material F up (Dickey). Back to back ALCS's and a full farm system are his legacy. Complaining about his tenure is as ill informed as it is petulant.

Similarly, blaming Atkins or Shapiro for the current state of the team is equally as ill informed and petulant.

Shapiro and Atkins have only been here 1.5 seasons. Of course most of the top assets are from AA. That doesn't mean much.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Shapiro and Atkins have only been here 1.5 seasons. Of course most of the top assets are from AA. That doesn't mean much.

Ok, now I am directing it to you. It is a fallacy that the farm system is empty. Many of the prospect who will be debuting in 2018/2019, and making material contributions, are AA's. The chief reason the franchise will have a top ten farm system in baseball (the #1 overall prospect in baseball) is AA.

The majority of the prospects he traded are largely insignificant. He's responsible for two ALCS appearances; th first two playoff appearances for the franchise in 22 years.

These are all facts.

Im not even an AA shipper, but I have the sneaky suspicion that AA is going to get Ben Cheringtoned over the next three years :laughed:.

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Ok, now I am directing it to you. It is a fallacy that the farm system is empty. Many of the prospect who will be debuting in 2018/2019, and making material contributions, are AA's. The chief reason the franchise will have a top ten farm system in baseball (the #1 overall prospect in baseball) is AA.

The majority of the prospects he traded are largely insignificant. He's responsible for two ALCS appearances; th first two playoff appearances for the franchise in 22 years.

These are all facts.

Im not even an AA shipper, but I have the sneaky suspicion that AA is going to get Ben Cheringtoned over the next three years :laughed:.

No one is saying it's empty. However, it certainly wasn't stocked. Shapiro and Atkins have done some solid drafting to help fill it again.

Yes, a good portion are insignificant, but then there's Thor, D'arnaud, Hechavarria, Hoffman.

AA drafted some solid pitchers, and GM'd this team to a playoff appearance, then decided to leave. He brought us Donaldson, and gave us a look at our first true ace since Doc.

He did good. I liked the guy, don't get me wrong. Heck, he brought Reyes to the Jays, and posters here that are familiar with me know he was/is one of my favourite players to watch.

In fact, the guy is smart. He knew when to leave. He now gets credit for the small peak of the team (including a year he wasn't in the org) and he gets no credit for the sudden, steep, expected decline of the team.

I'm mostly just sick of people acting like he was a great GM, when he wasn't. He had strengths and he had some luck, but the way people crap on Shapiro because he's not AA is ridiculous.

Let me rephrase. I'm sick of the Shapiro vs AA crap. Shapiro wanted AA to stay. AA chose to leave. Stop hating on Shapiro because of it.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
No one is saying it's empty. However, it certainly wasn't stocked. Shapiro and Atkins have done some solid drafting to help fill it again.

Yes, a good portion are insignificant, but then there's Thor, D'arnaud, Hechavarria, Hoffman.

AA drafted some solid pitchers, and GM'd this team to a playoff appearance, then decided to leave. He brought us Donaldson, and gave us a look at our first true ace since Doc.

He did good. I liked the guy, don't get me wrong. Heck, he brought Reyes to the Jays, and posters here that are familiar with me know he was/is one of my favourite players to watch.

In fact, the guy is smart. He knew when to leave. He now gets credit for the small peak of the team (including a year he wasn't in the org) and he gets no credit for the sudden, steep, expected decline of the team.

I'm mostly just sick of people acting like he was a great GM, when he wasn't. He had strengths and he had some luck, but the way people crap on Shapiro because he's not AA is ridiculous.

Let me rephrase. I'm sick of the Shapiro vs AA crap. Shapiro wanted AA to stay. AA chose to leave. Stop hating on Shapiro because of it.

I was a huge AA guy. Anyone can check my post history from the times nearly everyone was calling for his head. I wasn't one of them and took a ton of flack for defending him in the same ways I am now with the current team. I was a rogers apologist defending how they will never put the money into the team that's "required" to win. My problem is at his final deadline he went all in and really didn't care about anything past that season. It just felt like he was leaving for sure as was Beeston so they just went all in hoping to end on the ultimate high. It's why Martin was back loaded. The writing was on the wall with the hindsight we now have. I feel like if he was going to stay he likely would have taken a slightly different approach at the end

I'll add that I'll now defend him as much as I'm willing to criticize him

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I was a huge AA guy. Anyone can check my post history from the times nearly everyone was calling for his head. I wasn't one of them and took a ton of flack for defending him in the same ways I am now with the current team. I was a rogers apologist defending how they will never put the money into the team that's "required" to win. My problem is at his final deadline he went all in and really didn't care about anything past that season. It just felt like he was leaving for sure as was Beeston so they just went all in hoping to end on the ultimate high. It's why Martin was back loaded. The writing was on the wall with the hindsight we now have. I feel like if he was going to stay he likely would have taken a slightly different approach at the end

I'll add that I'll now defend him as much as I'm willing to criticize him

I feel the same way. AA behaved like an OHL GM that trades away it's young talent and future picks for established players for a run or two at the Memorial Cup. They then suck until they can restock the team.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007

Bingo

That is a valid criticism that we have raised in here before. I will say however that given his scouting teams' inability to hit on position players early in their drafting makes me happy they went heavy on the arms. That way, you accrue actual usable assets (I.e. Nolin, Graveman, Jairo, Comer, etc.) that can be moved rather than useless assets (I.e. Anderson, Davis, Sweeney, Hawkins).

This is true. If you can't hit on a bat, might as well go arm, especially since if they are successful they have a lot of value.

But if your best position players of late are Pillar and Goins. And you haven't really hit since... Lind, Hill, Rios...? That's brutal. No excuse there. You'd think we'd hit on at least a few more.

That's been the biggest issue. The Red Sox hit on bats all the time. The Yankees improved and have hit huge of late. We have squat. What impact bats did we give up in those deals for Tulo and Donladson etc... 0, maybe Barretto down the line.

People who want to point the finger at AA are entitled to but are doing it all wrong. The only thing that happens if we don't make those trades are two more crappy years in 2015 and 2016, and maybe if Noah doesn't break down here, we have one of the best pitchers in baseball.

So basically, 0 playoffs and a future maybe slightly better than we have now.

2 playoffs + meh future > 0 playoffs and slightly better than meh future.

You want to critisize AA, do it for the lack of drafting impact position players, not trades or signings. I'll praise the trades and signings, at least we aren't 24 years into a playoff drought.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

The only real glaring piece is Syndergaard. We've had this debate, several times in this thread. The hilarious part is I'm usually on your end of it.

The most annoying part of it is that it tends to be brought up by people who have no bloody clue what they're talking about (the casual fan after a losing streak, usually, or a Syndergaard/Hoffman good start, or a Tulo hitless streak; you can literally set your watch to it) or Zeke. Your stance on it is reasonable and right in the middle, which is why I initially addressed the thread as a whole.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I feel the same way. AA behaved like an OHL GM that trades away it's young talent and future picks for established players for a run or two at the Memorial Cup. They then suck until they can restock the team.

What the.... Name the players traded in Jul 2015....then, name which ones would be contributing to the 2017 Blue Jays that would change the current record.

I'll wait.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I think though, the next 8 days are a critical moment in the Shapiro era and how it will go. I still think the large majority of moves Shapiro and Atkins have made, have been positive, so the trust is there that they can make the good moves. However, are we going to go into a rebuild? A big retool? Or look for a piece or two to help a bit this year, but try and get the team back into contendership next season.

- If we think Bichette is our future 2B, which he likely is, and he'll be MLB ready in 2019, do we see if Travis has any trade value to improve elsewhere, and look for a stopgap for 2018?
- We have Alford, Smith Jr as young players pretty much ready in the OF, so what do we do with our 4 current outfielders? I think Jose is a decent bet to move, but what about Pillar?
- Donaldson isn't going to move in the next week, but that decision likely weighs a lot on what we do in the next week.

It's insanely complicated really.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I think though, the next 8 days are a critical moment in the Shapiro era and how it will go. I still think the large majority of moves Shapiro and Atkins have made, have been positive, so the trust is there that they can make the good moves. However, are we going to go into a rebuild? A big retool? Or look for a piece or two to help a bit this year, but try and get the team back into contendership next season.

- If we think Bichette is our future 2B, which he likely is, and he'll be MLB ready in 2019, do we see if Travis has any trade value to improve elsewhere, and look for a stopgap for 2018?
- We have Alford, Smith Jr as young players pretty much ready in the OF, so what do we do with our 4 current outfielders? I think Jose is a decent bet to move, but what about Pillar?
- Donaldson isn't going to move in the next week, but that decision likely weighs a lot on what we do in the next week.

It's important that he makes moves but with the exception of smith. Very unfortunately our free agents to be have terrible seasons. May get a little value out of Estrada. But we won't be getting any real building blocks based off of those pieces.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
What the.... Name the players traded in Jul 2015....then, name which ones would be contributing to the 2017 Blue Jays that would change the current record.

I'll wait.

Off the top of my head, Castro and Hoffman in the Tulo trade, Daniel Norris, Matt Boyd and Jairo Labourt for Price and prospects for Revere and Lowe.

Quote from the Toronto Star:

Alex Anthopoulos could be forgiven for wanting a little shuteye. The Blue Jays general manager has been baseball’s most active executive in the week leading up to Friday’s trade deadline.

Whether the players are helping in 2017 is not the point. My point is that he went all in cause he knew he was done. I don't think he makes those trades if he has the future in mind. While we are at it, tell me which prospects that he didn't trade that can be contributing in 2017. I won't wait.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
It is complicated, and what makes it more complicated is how much Chips, Liriano, Bautista, and to a certain extent (based more on fielding and health) Pearce have all been sub-par. Trade value has presumably dropped

It's a shame Pompey can never stay healthy. Trotting out Pearce or Carrera in the field has been ugly.

Tulo and Travis can never stay healthy so that means going with Goins/Barney. We all know what that movie is like

And Pillar just baffles me.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008

It's important that he makes moves but with the exception of smith. Very unfortunately our free agents to be have had terrible seasons. May get a little value out of Estrada. But we won't be getting any real building blocks based off of those pieces.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
"going all in at the deadline without caring about the future"

D.Norris (24): 43gs, 5.1ip/gs, 4.28era, 4.27fip, 4.54xfip
J.Hoffman (24): 17gs, 5.3ip/gs, 5.12era, 4.68fip, 4.98xfip
M.Boyd (26): 42gs, 5.0ip/gs, 5.75era, 5.23fip, 4.98xfip
M.Castro (22): 0gs, 56.0ip, 4.82era, 5.43fip, 4.92xfip
R.Rasmussen (28): 0gs, 15.1ip, 9.98era, 4.18fip, 4.31xfip
J.Labourt (23): AAA: 0gs, 3.0ip, 6.00era, 5.05fip / AA 0gs, 32.0ip, 2.64era, 2.86fip
J.Brentz (22): AA: 0gs, 6.1ip, 11.37era, 10.68fip / A+ 0gs, 26.0ip, 3.81era, 1.78fip
J.Tinoco (22): A+: 20gs, 104.1ip, 6.21era, 5.50fip
N.Wells (21): A 35gs, 166.0ip, 6.02era, 5.02fip

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It's important that he makes moves but with the exception of smith. Very unfortunately our free agents to be have terrible seasons. May get a little value out of Estrada. But we won't be getting any real building blocks based off of those pieces.

I get a feeling that Shatkins is not going to do much but if he does he might be a buyer more than a seller. He won't be buying rentals, he will be buying players who are controlled in 2018 or beyond.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I have a feeling thag shapkins supporters will be just as disappointed with the halfarsed rebuild as i've been disappointed with the half-arsed attempt to contend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad