Blue Jays Discussion: Steve Pearce: comeback machine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
This isn't like the leafs where we need veteran bodies in the lineup. We need talent that can produce. Morales has been a flop. Another 2 years of his "production" is cringeworthy. I'm hopeful he can turn it on a bit but won't be surprised if he doesn't.

We'd have been better served giving his at bats to Pearce and spread the DH spot among our other veterans. Donaldson, Tulo and Martin could all use time at DH.

So far its been a waste of money.

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
Its just been a down season for everyone. Trade the free agents and regroup next season. Get a top pick and some prospects. The good news is they can sign a free agent without losing a pick, if they remain bottom 10 in the league

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Rob Refsnyder, whom the Yankees once viewed as their second baseman of the future, was designated for assignment last week and will almost certainly end up with an opportunity to play more regularly somewhere else than he did over the last three seasons with the Yankees.

Jays throwing a dart and seeing if it sticks ?

I think they are looking for someone better than Goins and Barney for depth in the future. Team control for another 4 years.

For a pure 1B who does not hit fantastically well and is only a year younger, it's a pretty good deal.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Off the top of my head, Castro and Hoffman in the Tulo trade, Daniel Norris, Matt Boyd and Jairo Labourt for Price and prospects for Revere and Lowe.

Quote from the Toronto Star:

Alex Anthopoulos could be forgiven for wanting a little shuteye. The Blue Jays general manager has been baseball’s most active executive in the week leading up to Friday’s trade deadline.

Whether the players are helping in 2017 is not the point. My point is that he went all in cause he knew he was done. I don't think he makes those trades if he has the future in mind. While we are at it, tell me which prospects that he didn't trade that can be contributing in 2017. I won't wait.

Wait, wat.

If this is our candidate for ROY, then I think the HF BJ discussion thread needs to rebuild.

"going all in at the deadline without caring about the future"

D.Norris (24): 43gs, 5.1ip/gs, 4.28era, 4.27fip, 4.54xfip
J.Hoffman (24): 17gs, 5.3ip/gs, 5.12era, 4.68fip, 4.98xfip
M.Boyd (26): 42gs, 5.0ip/gs, 5.75era, 5.23fip, 4.98xfip
M.Castro (22): 0gs, 56.0ip, 4.82era, 5.43fip, 4.92xfip
R.Rasmussen (28): 0gs, 15.1ip, 9.98era, 4.18fip, 4.31xfip
J.Labourt (23): AAA: 0gs, 3.0ip, 6.00era, 5.05fip / AA 0gs, 32.0ip, 2.64era, 2.86fip
J.Brentz (22): AA: 0gs, 6.1ip, 11.37era, 10.68fip / A+ 0gs, 26.0ip, 3.81era, 1.78fip
J.Tinoco (22): A+: 20gs, 104.1ip, 6.21era, 5.50fip
N.Wells (21): A 35gs, 166.0ip, 6.02era, 5.02fip

Just bumping this for educational purposes.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Orioles are a team that should start to rebuild. Not too many young players on the team and their prospects suck.

They are in profoundly worse shape going forward. They essentially have Schoop, Trey (Boom Boom) Mancini, an injured Britton,Chance the catcher, and a ticking clock (Machado) as their most valuable controlled assets.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Ryan Borucki got promoted to AA. He pitched very good in A this year. He is starting today. He's 23 and missed all of the 2013 and most of the 2015 season. Not the best pitching prospects the Jays have but he has risen this year.

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Wait, wat.

If this is our candidate for ROY, then I think the HF BJ discussion thread needs to rebuild.

Just bumping this for educational purposes.

Got to hand it to for your wit :handclap:

So at the end of the day we have Tulo and his albatross contract for all those prospects.

This thread has gone off on a bit of a tangent. My first comment was to the poster that said Rogers' first mistake was to get rid off AA. My comment was that this is mainly AA's team and now it has gotten to be a anti/pro AA argument. Defend AA all you want. I just don't think AA was as good as he was built up to be.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Rob Refsnyder, whom the Yankees once viewed as their second baseman of the future, was designated for assignment last week and will almost certainly end up with an opportunity to play more regularly somewhere else than he did over the last three seasons with the Yankees.

Jays throwing a dart and seeing if it sticks ?

Worthwhile lottery ticket to buy. Costs basically nothing. Best case he's better than Goins/Barney and the team improves. Worst case they're no worse off than they were to begin with.

They wouldn't trade Smoak would they? Would have to think Smoak has peaked? Max value maybe? Still signed for one more season.

I'm not saying we should but wonder if management would.

Anyone's tradeable for the right price. And there's always the lingering question of whether or not Smoak's resurgence this year is sustainable moving forward or whether it's a slightly longer-running variation on all-star Michael Saunders or that goofy time that people started believing that Ryan Goins should be the everyday shortstop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad