Blue Jays Discussion: Steve Pearce: comeback machine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
Today I say that as long as this window is closed, as long as this scar of a roster is permitted to stand, it is not the playoff question alone that remains shut, but the question of hope for all Jays fans. In February 2017, Ross Atkins said "we feel great about our team coming into 2017" but in Toronto today, we see a roster that has achieved a level of failure and lethargy unprecedented in all human history. In our rival teams, we see prosperity. There is one sign that management can make that would be unmistakable, that would advance the cause of future success dramatically.

President of Baseball Operations Shaprio, if you seek to appease the disgruntled horde of Jays fans, if you seek sustainable success for the Toronto Blue Jays, if you seek to win a World Series title... Mr. Shapiro, tear down this roster!

Some restrictions apply. Stroman, Sanchez, and Osuna not included. Contact MLB GM's for more details.

Last edited:

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Today I say that as long as this window is closed, as long as this scar of a roster is permitted to stand, it is not the playoff question alone that remains shut, but the question of hope for all Jays fans. In February 2017, Ross Atkins said "we feel great about our team coming into 2017" but in Toronto today, we see a roster that has achieved a level of failure and lethargy unprecedented in all human history. In our rival teams, we see prosperity. There is one sign that management can make that would be unmistakable, that would advance the cause of future success dramatically.

President of Baseball Operations Shaprio, if you seek to appease the disgruntled horde of Jays fans, if you seek sustainable success for the Toronto Blue Jays, if you seek to win a World Series title... Mr. Shapiro, tear down this roster!

Some restrictions apply. Stroman, Sanchez, and Osuna not included. Contact MLB GM's for more details.

You can find a whole bunch of whacky things that were said by players, management, analysts, reporters, columnists, fans, and posters here (myself included) before the 2013 season too. I'll let you save face and admit you weren't a fan or even acknowledged baseball beforehand, as one can't call this level of failure "unprecedented".

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
You can find a whole bunch of whacky things that were said by players, management, analysts, reporters, columnists, fans, and posters here (myself included) before the 2013 season too. I'll let you save face and admit you weren't a fan or even acknowledged baseball beforehand, as one can't call this level of failure "unprecedented".

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Nice beginning for him.
Struck out the side all though first guy reached on a wild pitch and reached 3rd with nobody out. He got out of the inning without the run scoring.

He's out of the game now. 2 innings pitched no walks or hits and 3 SOs.

A lot of talent playing with Vancouver. Good time to watch them. I think most of those players will move up soon.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto

ich bin ein firesaler

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
This is definitely the most disappointing Jays team I've watched since 2013.

1999, 2013, and 2017 have to be the 3 most disappointing seasons in my lifetime. At least in AA's first days, you had Jose and EE breaking out and some ninja like trades for young controllable assets as well as a hell of a lot of promising arms going forward. And when Ricky was good too before his knees gave out. 2006-08 teams were really good, they just were stuck in the most stacked division in baseball. 2000-2005... yeah, we just kinda were expected to suck or be mediocre.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
1999, 2013, and 2017 have to be the 3 most disappointing seasons in my lifetime. At least in AA's first days, you had Jose and EE breaking out and some ninja like trades for young controllable assets as well as a hell of a lot of promising arms going forward. And when Ricky was good too before his knees gave out. 2006-08 teams were really good, they just were stuck in the most stacked division in baseball. 2000-2005... yeah, we just kinda were expected to suck or be mediocre.

There are a couple seasons I would rank as equally disappointing as this one, but I think this has be the most consistently frustrating to watch.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
2013 was so disappointing, mainly because of Josh Johnson. Was hyped af that we got him. Finally, a true, legitimate number 1 ace. lol...

Actually, checking fangraphs, he had a 3.66 SIERA with us. :amazed::laugh:

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

That's a good woosh. :laugh:

Let's be honest though, they knew this would happen and shouldn't exactly be labelled the communists in this situation. Front offices have a good understanding of what they are and aren't. It's why AA wasn't interested in spending five more seasons here and looked for immediate, but declining impact.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

1997 was my most disappointing season: Hentgen coming off Cy Young, Guzman ERA leader in 96, signed Roger Clemens, had Chris Carpenter. Then there was Delgado, Green, a big trade with Pittsburgh and the signing of Benito Santiago.

That was the year I learned that you can't assume anything.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

disgruntled fans are urging the jays to blow this whole thing up and go with the youngsters, trade the veterans with expiring contracts for prospects and try again in 2019. But that advice would likely empty the stadium and shut off tvs.
then there’s 28-year-old right-hander nick tepesch, acquired in a cash deal from the twins after sunday’s game. This sounds strictly like insurance should the jays trade a starter. Tepesch made one start for the twins, allowing seven runs in 1 2/3 innings on may 6.

Otherwise, you could go young with not-ready-for-prime-time starters from the double-a fisher cats, from a rotation highlighted by sean reid-foley, conner greene and jon harris. Failure could very well harm their development.

So, what should gm ross atkins and president mark shapiro do if they still want to convince fans that the jays can be contenders in 2018?

they don’t need stars in return for those players on expiring contracts. Even if they get serviceable talent to stock the upper levels of the farm, they could deal either estrada or liriano, smith, steve pearce, kendrys morales and ezequiel carrera without doing significant damage to their aspirations for next year. But it would be tough to trade both estrada and liriano, the men who are seen to be on the trade market.

The jays need to maintain hope in 2018 for the sake of attendance and tv ratings, but it is realistically a bridge season to true contention.

They have four farmhands among baseball america’s top 100 major-league prospects: Outfielder anthony alford, third baseman vlad guerrero jr., shortstop bo bichette and infielder lourdes gurriel. Alford and gurriel might help in 2018, with guerrero and bichette likely waiting into the 2019 season.

buckle up for the final 64 games of 2017. It will be a rough ride.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
There are a couple seasons I would rank as equally disappointing as this one, but I think this has be the most consistently frustrating to watch.

This season is uniquely bad because of the small number of actual good teams in the AL - where even being a mediocre .500 team would probably have us in strong playoff contention until September. I give some credit to the advent of the second wild card as well - the mid-2000's would have been a very different story with an extra playoff spot.

The reason this team wasn't that disappointing to me: the past two years have raised my expectations from playoffs to a World Series. I get the whole 'playoffs = crapshoot' thing, but I didn't believe for a second that this team was better than the one last year.

Thus, it pales in comparison to the 2013, 2006-2008 and even 2004 teams that I had higher hopes yet lower expectations for. Or perhaps I've just gotten older and stopped giving as much of a crap.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
I have a feeling thag shapkins supporters will be just as disappointed with the halfarsed rebuild as i've been disappointed with the half-arsed attempt to contend.

I'm disappointed in your halfarsed attempt to pin everything bad on Shapiro and Atkins, while trying to give AA credit for every single positive...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad