Blue Jays Discussion: Steve Pearce: comeback machine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Liked McBroom, if only for his name but he was highly unlikey to be an MLB player. Gives us another dart to fire up the middle hoping it pans out into something better than Ryan Goins

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Liked McBroom, if only for his name but he was highly unlikey to be an MLB player. Gives us another dart to fire up the middle hoping it pans out into something better than Ryan Goins

speaking of liking names, what has become of Earl Burl III?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
this refsnyder move - or something similar - had to be done a month or two ago.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
this refsnyder move - or something similar - had to be done a month or two ago.

I like Refsnyder and think he can be a solid contributor, at least as a utility guy, but what you hope to get out of him is basically what Barney has provided the last three years in terms of value (~3 WAR in 600 plate appearances). Refsnyder makes a lot of sense as an option as Barney continues to scuffle this year, but he was mostly redundant with 2014-2016 Barney around.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
well they had to try something - anything - to help fill the 2B spot. weeks ago.

refsnyder likely stinks, and probably can't even handle 2B defensively, but at least it's not just trotting out goins every day without even trying something different.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
well they had to try something - anything - to help fill the 2B spot. weeks ago.

refsnyder likely stinks, and probably can't even handle 2B defensively, but at least it's not just trotting out goins every day without even trying something different.

I don't disagree with the overall point of having to do something about 2B when it was clear Travis was going to be out for a while, I just think Refsnyder looks like more of what they already have rather than an upgrade, so when they made the move isn't really a big deal. Unfortunately, I also think Refsnyder is more likely to replace Barney than Goins.

My guess is that they're able to trade Barney at the deadline to someone looking for a solid defensive veteran utility player for a "prospect" similar to McBroom and call up Refsnyder. It would be a neutral move as far as the secondary players on involved, but they would basically be replacing Barney with someone cheaper with several years of control and more upside.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I think the Refsnyder move is less about a stop gap this year, and rather the acquisition of a guy who could turn into something decent with some tweaks. He's the exact guy an analytical department targets (underwhelming prospect profile, strong peripherals at every minor league level). Strikes me as an Oakland A, and I'm surprised they didn't claim him.

Also, the Jays didn't actually 'trade' for him. They claimed him after he was DFA'd, and the clubs worked out a deal in the ten day window.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I just think Refsnyder looks like more of what they already have rather than an upgrade,

yeah but when you have a hole like we do at 2B, you at least try to collect a bunch of these types and hope one gets hot. instead of just trotting out goins day after day.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
There's another word for when two teams do that, but it's eluding me at the moment.

swap i think

:laugh: You guys know what I mean. Though you're absolutely right. The sentence looks ridiculous when read. It wasn't a "hey, we like Refsnyder. What would it take to land him" type of trade. It was a "The Blue Jays have claimed Refsnyder. You have ten days to either get something for him, or release him for nothing."

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
:laugh: You guys know what I mean. Though you're absolutely right. The sentence looks ridiculous when read. It wasn't a "hey, we like Refsnyder. What would it take to land him" type of trade. It was a "The Blue Jays have claimed Refsnyder. You have ten days to either get something for him, or release him for nothing."

Heh. Yeah, I know exactly what you mean, but that sentence was amazing. I have to imagine the Yankees would have just kept him if there was nothing coming back.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Has anyone heard what's going on with Warmoth? He played every game Tuesday to Saturday for Vancouver, didn't play yesterday, and got one at bat in the GCL this morning.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I like Refsnyder and think he can be a solid contributor, at least as a utility guy, but what you hope to get out of him is basically what Barney has provided the last three years in terms of value (~3 WAR in 600 plate appearances). Refsnyder makes a lot of sense as an option as Barney continues to scuffle this year, but he was mostly redundant with 2014-2016 Barney around.

Barney is a free agent while Refsynder is under control for the next 3 years I believe. If this team rebuilds he's a nice cheap option to replace Barney

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
yeah but when you have a hole like we do at 2B, you at least try to collect a bunch of these types and hope one gets hot. instead of just trotting out goins day after day.

It takes 2 to tango.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Barney is a free agent while Refsynder is under control for the next 3 years I believe. If this team rebuilds he's a nice cheap option to replace Barney

I think it's four years... another year at the minimum before hitting arbitration.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
the difference between barney and refsnyder is that barney is a defensive wiz, and refsnyder is bad defensively.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
the difference between barney and refsnyder is that barney is a defensive wiz, and refsnyder is bad defensively.

Based on his 155 innings at 2B, yeah. And his significantly larger 199.2 inning sample in the OF suggests he's basically peak Pillar out there. He's probably a solid utility guy.

Refsnyder's minor league numbers suggest he could turn out to be a league-average hitter at some point, which would be awesome to have.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
yeah for me I never liked Barney as an actual utility guy - just as the bench IF. Where for me he's always been a better option than Goins, on both sides of the ball.

But yeah I''d rather have a guy with more offensive upside as the utility guy, like refsnyder could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad