Blue Jays Discussion: Steve Pearce: comeback machine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
The Jays may resort to moving Barney this year. He was sorely overused this year and would not return a whole lot, but if a team needs a bench utility infielder, you could do a lot worse.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I thought about this as well but I can't really see a team going after him.

Could be tossed into a bigger deal. I can see the Jays combining a few guys together (i.e. a pitcher + Barney) to get a slightly better return. Technically could do the same with prospects they do not want (since it is a farm system riddled with old regime guys), but that may be more of a thing I think the Leafs should do over what the Jays would do. I do not often see teams throw in prospects to deals when they are selling given the amount of depth you need and the amount of players who reach their peak in their late 20's/early 30's.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Estrada could be the best bait on the jays roster. (among players I think will be dealt) Another 2 or 3 quality starts should be enough to reclaim his value of decent spec.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Estrada could be the best bait on the jays roster. (among players I think will be dealt) Another 2 or 3 quality starts should be enough to reclaim his value of decent spec.

Unfortunately, he has one start left before the deadline.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
It's been a busy summer for me. Unfortunately dates of significant sporting events have gone by the wayside of my memory.

He's really had a rough year thus far. But his track record with the jays should be enough to solidify another teams rotation going forward as a 4-5.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
It's been a busy summer for me. Unfortunately dates of significant sporting events have gone by the wayside of my memory.

He's really had a rough year thus far. But his track record with the jays should be enough to solidify another teams rotation going forward as a 4-5.

This time of year, contending teams are looking for players who have performed this season (and recently to be specific) rather than looking at taking a risk based off of track record. Too much can go wrong.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I didn't forget about it so much as I assumed it wouldn't really apply to Estrada.

Why not? Rentals don't lose demand after the trade deadline. I mean you probably should expect deals to happen before the deadline is over, but rentals aren't void of moving in deals afterwards.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
This time of year, contending teams are looking for players who have performed this season (and recently to be specific) rather than looking at taking a risk based off of track record. Too much can go wrong.

So Smoak will get a huge haul.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010

Like Liriano who was bad on the Pirates then performed great for us down the stretch?
It's not black and white when it comes to trade deadline philosophy.
Teams do check in on depth pieces who could bounce back down the stretch.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Why not? Rentals don't lose demand after the trade deadline.

Yeah, "wouldn't really apply" wasn't the right term.

1. I expect him to be traded before August hits.
2. An August Estrada trade is complicated because he's not a "clear waivers and trade him to whoever with retention" kind of guy. He's a "get claimed and work out a deal with the claiming team" guy.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
MILB careers so far:

Jansen (22.3): 1045pa, 10.6bb%, 12.1k%, .287babip, .265avg, .118iso, 118wrc+
Alford (23.0): 1174pa, 12.8bb%, 24.8k%, .361babip, .270avg, .130iso, 129wrc+

And just at AA:

Jansen (22.3): 188pa, 11.7bb%, 8.5k%, .324babip, .306avg, .140iso, 134wrc+
Alford (23.0): 154pa, 11.0bb%, 16.9k%, .377babip, .319avg, .126iso, 137wrc+

Though of course so much of Danny's value lies in whether he sticks at C or not.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Like Liriano who was bad on the Pirates then performed great for us down the stretch?
It's not black and white when it comes to trade deadline philosophy.
Teams do check in on depth pieces who could bounce back down the stretch.

With Liriano, it worked out well that he was able to reunite with Russell Martin. But he was our #5 pitcher and there was talk that he would've gone to the bullpen at the first sight of struggle.

Anytime you're acquiring a struggling pitcher, you're not really solidifying anything. You better have a backup plan in case he struggles

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I really don't get how any team of sound mind is giving up anything of value for Estrada based on not only his season but his past 9 starts (9.5 ERA). Estrada's performance is the type of performance contending teams are attempting to discard, not acquire.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Jays with good track records but bad recent performance are worthless.

Jays with bad track records but good recent preformance are worthless.

Every position the Jays might have someone of value is not in demand.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
The Jays may resort to moving Barney this year. He was sorely overused this year and would not return a whole lot, but if a team needs a bench utility infielder, you could do a lot worse.

Barney with his -0.6 WAR should probably be DFA'd.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Jays with good track records but bad recent performance are worthless.

Jays with bad track records but good recent preformance are worthless.

Every position the Jays might have someone of value is not in demand.

Ha, that pretty much sums it up. You're just missing "Jays with good track records and good recent performance are too good to trade".

I think that covers everyone.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Why not? Rentals don't lose demand after the trade deadline. I mean you probably should expect deals to happen before the deadline is over, but rentals aren't void of moving in deals afterwards.

He has an affordable salary where he most likely gets claimed if he's not dealt before July 31st. Eg. If a team like Arizona wanted to deal for him you can bet on a team like Colorado putting a claim in on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad