Blue Jays Discussion: Steve Pearce: comeback machine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Even if teams only view Liriano or Estrada as potential bullpen adds. There's value in putting a starter in the pen during the post season to save the rest of the pen in case of a blowout or a Liriano esque start

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I'm still hearing talk radio acting like the decline in the Jays' offense is a huge surprise. The steepness of the decline, I get that, but a significant overall decline was a fairly high probability:

Not Surprises:
Martin - subject to major slumps, he has had worse seasons
Travis - injury prone for two straight seasons, another injury plagued season is not a shock
Tulo - hitting like he hit when he first arrived here 2015
Bautista - last season was his lowest OPS since his first full year as Blue Jay
Pearce - injury riddled season is a typical season for him
Morales - is having pretty much the exact season we should have expected of him
Pilar - typical production

Actual Surprises (a wash as far as I'm concerned):
Donaldson - hugely disappointing season, having a season roughly equivalent to the expectations for Smoak
Smoak - having a year that we'd have expected from Donaldson

I listened to the very tail end of jays talk today and they were talking about what the Jays should do and how far they should tare it down. They didn't say blow it up but they also weren't saying add at all cost for next year. Was about as grim as I've ever heard them. I think this road trip told a very clear story that this won't be too easy to resolve. Sounds like management maybe is starting to lean in the sell off direction a little more.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
The Jays may resort to moving Barney this year. He was sorely overused this year and would not return a whole lot, but if a team needs a bench utility infielder, you could do a lot worse.

They should be moving him this year. He's a free agent to be and not really needed. I don't imagine they plan to keep him around next year

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Cahill gone to the royals so that's another starter gone. Actually quite a big trade

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Pretty underwhelming return, no?

I get that Ruiz guy has a 200 wRC+ in rookie ball at 18, but ?

I mean, is that what were looking at for Marco?

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Pretty underwhelming return, no?

I get that Ruiz guy has a 200 wRC+ in rookie ball at 18, but ?

I mean, is that what were looking at for Marco?

A quick glance suggests an underwhelming return too.

I think with Marco you would have to look at the lower levels for a prospect that you think highly of but far away from the MLB.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
A quick glance suggests an underwhelming return too.

I think with Marco you would have to look at the lower levels for a prospect that you think highly of but far away from the MLB.

I think we need to look to lower prospects and rely heavily on our scouting department. Our guys aren't nearly good enough to get higher level prospects of any value

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Do we have an over under on Liriano going more than 2 innings tonight?

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto

I don't see what assets we have that could realistically return that, unless we're giving up young, controllable talent that can make an impact next season.

I'm looking for a job that pays $10 million dollars a year, but no one's returning my calls...

Happ and Smoak are the only trade chip that could return that other than Donaldson, but if management (idiotically) wants to try and contend next year, why would they trade them?

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until the trade deadline, but it feels like management wants to try and sell the fans fools gold next year.

Last edited:

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Jon Harris is back from injury pitching for AA tonight.

EDIT - My bad I thought he was injured but looks like he wasn't. I think I got him confused with Zeuch.

Last edited:

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Bo Bichette taken out of the game in Dunedin tonight. Was hit in the hand by a pitch in the first inning.

frost king

Dec 11, 2013
What if the Atkins and company do the same thing that the Rangers did a couple of years ago and grap a Hamels type contract from a team, that wants to get rid of $50-60M contract? The Rangers didn't exactly give up a ton for Hamels, maybe they can do the same from so other team, that is having payroll issues.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
What if the Atkins and company do the same thing that the Rangers did a couple of years ago and grap a Hamels type contract from a team, that wants to get rid of $50-60M contract? The Rangers didn't exactly give up a ton for Hamels, maybe they can do the same from so other team, that is having payroll issues.

MLB.com 2015 rankings for the prospects traded in the deal:

#51: Jake Thompson
#55: Nick Williams
#59: Jorge Alfaro

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

They gave up two or three Top 50ish prospects and more.

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
Shatkins need to get really creative if they want to compete next season. Its definitely possible despite negativity clouded around the team right now.

A couple additions, better health, some luck and they could be right back in it.

Priority #1 is making a decision on Donaldson. If you aren't giving him his extension then you should be moving him this deadline. They should already know a ballpark figure as to what it'll take and if they are comfortable doing it. You can not let him leave as a free agent for nothing. That in my opinion would be a fire-able offense and would put me off of the team until Shatkins are gone.

I'm on the fence on the decision. On one hand you have an MVP talent. On the other is he's not young and will cost a lot of money for a 5+ years. I see both sides in the debate. If we do move him i hope we get a good haul for him. A couple of prospects that can come up and contribute around the time Guerrero Jr and Bichette are ready would be nice.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

toronto – there are parallel tracks for the toronto blue jays to focus on with less than a week remaining until the july 31 non-waiver trade deadline, and the 2017 season essentially pooched. on one end, there’s scouring the market for controllable pieces that can contribute to a 2018 team general manager ross atkins feels will be able to contend. On the other is maximizing the returns for their pending free agents, with starters francisco liriano and marco estrada drawing the most interest.

liriano may have helped things in that regard monday by allowing two runs on two hits and two walks with five strikeouts over five tidy innings of a 4-2 victory over the oakland athletics. Pitching on three days’ rest after a two-inning, five-run, four-walk clunker against the boston red sox last week, the left-hander was his effectively wild self against a much weaker opponent, getting strikes with his fastball with his slider around the zone just enough to get the chase he needs.
the blue jays have received interest from some teams considering both starters, things move along a bit every day, and each outing at this point has the potential to swing the market one way or another.

so, too, does each trade that’s made and a couple of more teams made moves monday. The kansas city royals, who had been speculated on as one potential landing spot for toronto pitchers, acquired trevor cahill, ryan buchter and brandon maurer from the san diego padres, while the minnesota twins picked up jaime garcia and anthony recker from the atlanta braves.

those deals continue a trend of sellers packaging assets to get a better return, something the blue jays could do by pairing liriano and estrada, or putting one of them together with set-up man joe smith, or perhaps even a reliever with some control in ryan tepera or danny barnes, an asset in high demand.

Last edited:

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
KC?

What did KC give up for those three pitchers? All three look pretty good.

One guy has a high ERA but all his other numbers look good. He must have had some bad outings.

Pitching wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad