Blue Jays Discussion: Steve Pearce: comeback machine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Damn. Urena took a pretty big tumble.

EDIT: actually, it seems more like they just put a ton of prospects up on that tier.

Guerrero

Bichette
Alford

Warmoth
Zeuch
Reid-Foley
Pearson
Pentecost
Danner
Urena
Greene
Tellez
Borucki
Maese
Pardinho

Adams
Jansen
Romano
Harris
Jackson
Rios
Murphy
Smith
Palacios
Diaz
Woodman
Ramirez
Perdomo
McGuire
Kelly

For comparison's sake, the Fangraphs list from before the season had 1 55 (Vladdy), 2 50s (Alford and Reid-Foley), 6 45s, and 8 40s.

also no Guerriel. Is that eligibility issues?

Last edited:

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
What did KC give up for those three pitchers? All three look pretty good.

One guy has a high ERA but all his other numbers look good. He must have had some bad outings.

Pitching wins.

These scouting reports are brought to you by muscle memory and Jon Heyman like analysis. As it is nearly 1:00 in the morning and I am on my phone :laugh:

Travis Wood is under control for another year (signed 2/12M with KC). He's basically a swing man at this point. San Diego might put him in the rotation for a few outings and if he does well, either move him in August or the winter.

Esteury Ruiz is a lottery ticket. He is an 18 year old 2B batting over .400 in rookie ball.

Matt Strahm is a reliever who I like very much. He can touch 97 and has an above average breaking ball. However, he has control problems and is out for the year with a knee injury.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
also no Guerriel. Is that eligibility issues?

Noticed this and was gonna ask, but realized it says at the bottom guys exempt from the pools due to being 23 and playing in a pro league don't count.

McGuire and Ramirez also tumbled. A lot of that was from the year prior but they're barely in the top 30 now

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
Three things jumped right out at me when looking at the Blue Jays top 30, one, Danny Jansen is way too low. I would put him top 5 but he should at the very least be top 10. Two, where is Edward Olivares? I would probably have him top 15 and he should definitely be top 20. Three, J.B Woodman should not be on this list. He's a 22 year old with a 38 K% at A ball with an ISO less then .150. I don't see any way he can make the improvements necessary for him to even be close to the majors.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
solid list. the only quibbles:

too low: jansen, maese, and maybe rios
too high: only pentecost really, though i'm a bit skeptical on danner being that high already.

as for the grades i'm having a hard time seeing alford on the same level as bichette.

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
It'll be interesting to see how MLB.com's Jays update will look compared to BA's update. They are doing a top 10 update for every team and they have done every division except for the AL East so the Jays top 10 will come out tomorrow.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I don't get how Jansen is that low. From what I have read his defense is average. He has hit very well in AA. He walks a ton and rarely strikes out. Only weakness seems to be his power.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Noticed this and was gonna ask, but realized it says at the bottom guys exempt from the pools due to being 23 and playing in a pro league don't count.

McGuire and Ramirez also tumbled. A lot of that was from the year prior but they're barely in the top 30 now

Ramirez's bat hasn't been good all year. Although he has been much better recently.

McGuire missed most of this year.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
It'll be interesting to see how MLB.com's Jays update will look compared to BA's update. They are doing a top 10 update for every team and they have done every division except for the AL East so the Jays top 10 will come out tomorrow.

Based on their top 100 list it should be

1.Vlad
2.Alford
3. Bichette
4. Gurriel
next 6 are up for question

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Olivares definitely deserves to be on there. I'd say Gold too. The disrespect with Jansen's grades though, yikes. There wasn't a better hitter in the FSL when he was there, and among catchers only Mejia is really better than him at AA (age taken into account).

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
yeah i usually tune out on these lists by rank 20, but i agree there's a bunch of better picks for the bottom of the list than some of those guys. palacios, gold, young, vicuna, d.smith, r.smith would probably make my list ahead of guys like woodman palacios romano kelly murphy.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
I don't get how Jansen is that low. From what I have read his defense is average. He has hit very well in AA. He walks a ton and rarely strikes out. Only weakness seems to be his power.

I'm with you. I would easily have Jansen in the top ten. I personally would have him ahead of Zeuch. I personally see Jansen as a Cervelli type of player with less defense.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He and Tellez did.

Jansen should be top 10 at least IMO.

Meh he needs to get a little bit more familiar with AAA. I have no doubts things will come together for both of them eventually.

It's nice to see a bunch of good prospects for once though. Did the Jays even have 30 guys 45+ last year... Or 16 at 50+?

A few good guys off of the list too.

EDIT: Yes to the first, only 10 were 50+ according to the 2016 archive. So strides being made, and this before a small sell-off which could net us a few more half decent guys. Hopefully the new development system will help out a lot too once it really starts going.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
These scouting reports are brought to you by muscle memory and Jon Heyman like analysis. As it is nearly 1:00 in the morning and I am on my phone :laugh:

Travis Wood is under control for another year (signed 2/12M with KC). He's basically a swing man at this point. San Diego might put him in the rotation for a few outings and if he does well, either move him in August or the winter.

Esteury Ruiz is a lottery ticket. He is an 18 year old 2B batting over .400 in rookie ball.

Matt Strahm is a reliever who I like very much. He can touch 97 and has an above average breaking ball. However, he has control problems and is out for the year with a knee injury.

Thank u! Great effort unlike some team I know :-p

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Meh he needs to get a little bit more familiar with AAA. I have no doubts things will come together for both of them eventually.

It's nice to see a bunch of good prospects for once though. Did the Jays even have 30 guys 45+ last year... Or 16 at 50+?

A few good guys off of the list too.

EDIT: Yes to the first, only 10 were 50+ according to the 2016 archive. So strides being made, and this before a small sell-off which could net us a few more half decent guys. Hopefully the new development system will help out a lot too once it really starts going.

Jansen should be in the 50+ and Gurriel would be as well but he wasn't eligible.

Looking forward to a list that ranks the farm systems by team.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
yeah i usually tune out on these lists by rank 20, but i agree there's a bunch of better picks for the bottom of the list than some of those guys. palacios, gold, young, vicuna, d.smith, r.smith would probably make my list ahead of guys like woodman palacios romano kelly murphy.

alrighty then. :laugh:

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013

Thank u! Great effort unlike some team I know :-p

I'm betting San Diego gives Strahm another try in the rotation - precisely because he has that fastball and the breaking stuff to be able to survive as a starter.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
As bad as the season has been for the Jays, it's been a really good year for the prospects. There are far more guys having great (or at least solid) seasons than there are disappointments. It should easily be a Top 10 system right now. I don't expect any real impact guys to come back at the deadline, but adding a little extra depth never hurts.

Even Jon Harris seems to be starting to turn his disaster of a season around. In his last five starts, he has a 1.71 ERA, 7.67 K/9 and 1.42 BB/9 in 31.2 IP. It's a start, at least. It would be nice to see him finish up strong, get himself back on the map, and earn a spot in the Buffalo rotation for next year. Having a couple homegrown guys as depth would be a lot more interesting than the Redmonds and Wolfs and Latoses we're used to seeing.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Based on their top 100 list it should be

1.Vlad
2.Alford
3. Bichette
4. Gurriel
next 6 are up for question

1. Vlad
2. Bo
3. Alford
4. Jansen
5. SRF
6. Gurriel
7. Zeuch
8. Warmoth
9. Borucki
10. Pearson

Is what it should be. Probably something vastly different after the top 3.

As bad as the season has been for the Jays, it's been a really good year for the prospects. There are far more guys having great (or at least solid) seasons than there are disappointments. It should easily be a Top 10 system right now. I don't expect any real impact guys to come back at the deadline, but adding a little extra depth never hurts.

Even Jon Harris seems to be starting to turn his disaster of a season around. In his last five starts, he has a 1.71 ERA, 7.67 K/9 and 1.42 BB/9 in 31.2 IP. It's a start, at least. It would be nice to see him finish up strong, get himself back on the map, and earn a spot in the Buffalo rotation for next year. Having a couple homegrown guys as depth would be a lot more interesting than the Redmonds and Wolfs and Latoses we're used to seeing.

Pretty much the only thing you could have asked for was a smoother transition to Double-A for SRF and Harris, progression from Greene, health for Zeuch, and progression for Maese. Though I wouldn't call them disappointments, etiher.

The main "disappointments" would I suppose be Tellez and Urena.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
So it looks like Vlad as expected is struggling in Dunedin (SSS), but god damn is Bichette ever impressive (SSS).

How could anyone claim he's not a Top-5 prospect in baseball if he even comes close to keeping this up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad